Cubes VS mix

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I was just having a random thought about feed. I normally feed build up conditioning mix but when in the shop notice there is also the same but in nut form (same for most feeds) do theycontain the same amounts of ingredients vits/mins but just in a different form or is there an actual reason they make both nuts and mix?

3Beasties

Visit site
Good question, I've no idea of the answer though.

I feed conditioning nuts for the simple reason that they are cheaper than mix. I always thinks mix looks a bit more appetising though but I'm not sure a horse would notice any difference!

CIJ

Visit site
I feed my mare the cubes/nuts form of feed as it doesn't have molasses in it and she's better on a molasses free diet, but sometimes she gets the mix if I run out of cubes and she much prefers the mix feed. I spoke to a 'feed expert' once and they said all the vit/mins are in the cube form it just depends what your horse likes best.

Alchemy

Visit site
I was always told cubes were more concentrated than mix ?? not sure if thats right. we used to have broodmares at work who would leave certain things in the mix one mare left all the yellow flakes everytime you fed her..used to amaze me how she did it.

Shoei

Visit site
I was always told cubes were more concentrated than mix ?? not sure if thats right. we used to have broodmares at work who would leave certain things in the mix one mare left all the yellow flakes everytime you fed her..used to amaze me how she did it.

I'v always fed pencils/cubes because one of mine used to do this. I feed my new boy on pencils becaus ehe is the SLOWEST eater in the world. He takes a mouthful, looks aver his door, munches a little, takes another mouthful and repeats. It takes him at least 30 minutes to eat his tea!

TGM

Visit site
Nuts and cubes generally have slightly lower cereal (and therefore starch) content than the corresponding mix, mainly because cereal grains are used in mixes to give that nice 'muesli' looking appearance that looks enticing to horse owners.

Queenbee

Visit site

Cubes are certainly better to digest, they take less energy to digest and so the body gets to use more of the energy in them for its purpose. So not sure if they are more concentrate, but certainly a larger percentage of the energy in them is used for its purpose.

popsdosh

Visit site
I feed my mare the cubes/nuts form of feed as it doesn't have molasses in it and she's better on a molasses free diet, but sometimes she gets the mix if I run out of cubes and she much prefers the mix feed. I spoke to a 'feed expert' once and they said all the vit/mins are in the cube form it just depends what your horse likes best.

Have you checked out this statement most nuts contain more molasses as it is used to bind them and reduce dust in the pelleting process.

marmalade76

Visit site
Generally if you look at the reccomended amounts given on the sack of mix and it's cube equivalant you will find that you need to feed less cubes than mix, so yes, they must be more concentrated/have more feed value. I always feed cubes over mixes 'cause they are better value and probably better for the horse.