Cudo's continuing adventures in America

BunnyDog

Visit site
So rather than updating all the threads before this I think we'll just keep updates relegated to here.

So for those not following our facebook page, here's a video of our first proper jump school.

Couple things to note, he had usually gone in a running martingale. I chose not to use one to see how it went without. I'm probably going to use one again but maybe not right away. Also he has been jumped in a Myler bit with the hooks in use, I chose to try him in a french link snaffle and see how he did with a more plain bit.

Short summary...lots of good things discovered. I absolutely bought myself the right horse, now we have to learn how to communicate and figure out what signal means what and such. Also this saddle is an absolute treat.. Wow. Love it. Time and patience will be the trick to bonding and I absolutely will give him that.

https://youtu.be/kNimHGgKKYM

Hope you all enjoy. He's settling in beautifully and is an absolute sweetheart with an ever increasing American fan club now also.

:)

Emily

Bernster

Visit site
Lovely to hear and I did watch the vid on your you tube channel. Glad you are happy with him. Def lots to like and you can see how good you're going to be once all the buttons are worked out !

ETA intrigued! what saddle do you have?

Last edited:

BunnyDog

Visit site
I bought the sellers custom fit Equiline Dynamic. I liked that it was already fit to him and can be flocked. Equiline has just started it's presence in America so it wasn't a saddle I'd ever seen or heard of.

I'm honestly surprised because when I was searching for a new saddle inn 2016 it was a long drawn out nightmare. I ended up with my lovely used Devoucoux but I must have tried 20 saddles or more.

Emily

claracanter

Visit site
Lovely update....He's such a sweet boy......must confess he reminds me of my WB as he has the same white sock configuration....i will be following your progress.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oo, it's really all starting to come together. You're definitely not looking like a basically brand new partnership anyway! :D

Cudo looks so happy. Such a classy horse

Bernster

Visit site
Fantastic looking very smooth and 'together' in that vid ! I struggle to get over the filler you have there, so those jumps look huuuuuuge.

BunnyDog

Visit site
I will admit I get the sense that he's still sad at times. He misses Lauren and doesn't always seem that 'bright ' as we do what must seem to him like endless flatwork. Ground poles were new (and scary) and he's definitely needing love and encouragement while settling in.

I noticed he was much more engaged with me when I'm grooming him and giving him treats. So I started riding with pieces of carrots in a bag in my pocket and I give him some when he's good or nervous. Ever since I started doing that he seems to be more engaged with me as we ride.

I'm playing with bridles and bits a little, and this was using a loose ring slow twist with acavallo bit guards. I think it worked well but we'll return to the daily bit the herm sprenger duo when I ride him next on Tuesday.

Thanks so much for your kind comments. He's a hell of a horse.

Emily

PapaverFollis

Visit site
He's such a good boy. It does take a while for them to settle in and figure out their new human. You'll get there, looks like great progress already.

VRIN

Visit site
Its a big move for him and still early days. I got my new one at the back end of August last year and like you felt he was not really happy. He never did anything wrong I just had a sense something was missing for him. However he is now well settled in and we are forming our own partnership.

ahml100

Visit site
Gosh he is rather beautiful! I have been silently following your journey in your quest for a new horse and though I told myself that I am far too old to have the green-eyed monster I have failed!-He looks utterly divine and you certainly do not look like a new partnership.

If you do not mind the question, I have very little knowledge of American showing can you aim to jump at specific championships and are your classes split between amateur and professional? I followed a bit during WEF but the classification confused me a bit! Do full understand that this could be a rather vague question!

BunnyDog

Visit site
If you do not mind the question, I have very little knowledge of American showing can you aim to jump at specific championships and are your classes split between amateur and professional? I followed a bit during WEF but the classification confused me a bit! Do full understand that this could be a rather vague question!

Ok so this will be a bit clear as mud but let me try.

I used to be a professional (I taught lessons to 3 friends and was paid for training rides of other people's horses)

Then I decided it would be more accurate and more fun to get my amateur status back and compete in the amateur classes/divisions.

Ok... so the divisions that I compete in are the Adult Amateur Jumper - High division (1.10 meters) and the ultimate goal would be the Amateur Owner jumper division. That has low(1.20-25), med (1.30 - 35) and high (1.40) heights.

With my greener horses I would go in the variety of choices around 1m or lower, low AA jumper, Thoroughbred Jumper, or the like. We have age classes as well but none of my horses fall into those ranges anymore.

Certain classes are open to all. Height classes for example... Training or schooling jumper is usually written up in the prize list as "Training jumper 0.95 m" or "Schooling Jumper 1.20m." ANYONE can go in those classes.

There are divisions separated down by Juniors, amateurs and horses that are owned by an amateur owner.

To help I am going to share a link to a rather big show that happens in May, Old Salem Farm.

https://cdn.flipsnack.com/widget/v2/widget.html?hash=fdk8vfqsc&bgcolor=EEEEEE&t=1519335096

Ok a couple short hand explanations:

AA (Adult Amateur)
YJC - Young Jumper Classes

Take a look at that and feel to ask follow up questions.

Em

ahml100

Visit site
Ok so this will be a bit clear as mud but let me try.

I used to be a professional (I taught lessons to 3 friends and was paid for training rides of other people's horses)

Then I decided it would be more accurate and more fun to get my amateur status back and compete in the amateur classes/divisions.

Ok... so the divisions that I compete in are the Adult Amateur Jumper - High division (1.10 meters) and the ultimate goal would be the Amateur Owner jumper division. That has low(1.20-25), med (1.30 - 35) and high (1.40) heights.

With my greener horses I would go in the variety of choices around 1m or lower, low AA jumper, Thoroughbred Jumper, or the like. We have age classes as well but none of my horses fall into those ranges anymore.

Certain classes are open to all. Height classes for example... Training or schooling jumper is usually written up in the prize list as "Training jumper 0.95 m" or "Schooling Jumper 1.20m." ANYONE can go in those classes.

There are divisions separated down by Juniors, amateurs and horses that are owned by an amateur owner.

To help I am going to share a link to a rather big show that happens in May, Old Salem Farm.

https://cdn.flipsnack.com/widget/v2/widget.html?hash=fdk8vfqsc&bgcolor=EEEEEE&t=1519335096

Ok a couple short hand explanations:

AA (Adult Amateur)
YJC - Young Jumper Classes

Take a look at that and feel to ask follow up questions.

Em

Ah much clearer thank you! I was getting confused with the classifications but now can read my head around them a bit more! Good luck with the season.

BunnyDog

Visit site
Ah much clearer thank you! I was getting confused with the classifications but now can read my head around them a bit more! Good luck with the season.

I know how you feel. I had no idea about your levels of jumpers when I started looking. Frankly I was laughing because with Foxhunters being 1.20 I could only think of a handful of fox hunter friends here on this side of the pond who could survive doing a course at that height. A foxhunter class at a show here is roughly 2'6" (I think that's close to 0.75m). Ha Ha Ha.

Em

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Foxhunter was a famous show jumper ridden by Harry Llewellyn, the show jumping classes are named after that horse, hence the size of the feces. :)

fetlock

Visit site
I've so enjoyed following your search for a horse, and hearing about the differences (and OMG the prices) between the UK and USA, and following Cudo's epic journey over to you too.

I'm just a few miles from where you found Cudo - what a lovely horse he is- I'm so looking forward to seeing how you do with him once you'e competing, and generally, and wish you every success with him.