curbed hock???

kerrieberry2

Visit site
My 2yr old came in in Sept with a few grazes and cuts on his chest where he appeared to pull a fence down, but also at the same time had a very minor looking cut on his back leg and a swollen hock! so the vet came out.

He had anti b's, didn't work. Steroid injection, took it down a bit! then 20 steroid tablets every other day. no difference.

then for 20 days he had 50 not so strong steroid tablets every day! still with no change!

The area feels hard, like bone rather than swollen and puffy! it was hosed every day but it doesn't have any heat now! so I am wondering if it could be a curbed hock? what do you guys think?

hes sound, isn't in pain and isn't fussy by me touching it.

its the right hock.

IMG-20121018-00645.jpg

dominobrown

Visit site
I know a racehorse with a hock like this, got kicked in the hock, lame etc, came sound and raced. Then got hit by a car, lame, came sound etc, back racing again. Its not pretty but doesn't seem to effect him at all. :)

kerrieberry2

Visit site
brilliant! we think that my friends mare may have kicked him, but no one saw it but they have had to be separate coz they were messing about and kicking etc!

My farrier has agreed that hes sound and unfazed so he wouldnt worry but the vet suggested scans and xrays to see whats going on but as he's not lame I don't see what i will benefit from that! if i have vet fees id not hesitate but i dont! (kicking self)

dominobrown

Visit site
I think it is caused by a trauma to the hock. This racehorse did have x-rays and a small fracture did show up on them, so the horse obviously laid new bone around the area, bit like how a horse gets a splint.
He has a bit of time off work? I would probably give him a few more weeks, then bring back into work slowly. In the future maybe a joint supplement would be beneficial if you feel there might be any stiffness etc. :)

kerrieberry2

Visit site
He's not in work as he's only 2. Have put on some like ice and wrapped it up this morning so see if that will make any difference but doubt it as its solid rather than swollen. I might have to get vet out to my mare so might just get the xray done then too!