Curing a nappy horse...

JackDaniels1

Visit site
..... to cure a nappy horse out hacking, can you solve it by hacking, hacking and more hacking? currently going up the road (only 10/15 mins) walking after each schooling session to try and crack it!

treacle_beastie

Visit site
Yes I think so, well to a point...I don't think you can cure them of all nappy behaviour but you can certainly get them out of most of it! Mines a nappy so and so and it took me 2 years to get her out hacking on her own but she doesn't nap on her own now really, very occasionly maybe. However, as soon as she is in company she gets stuck to the other horse. She also naps to people and cyclists but not to the extent she does with other horses. If I keep her a good couple of horse distance between them she's not so bad but if they come close she stops dead and prefers to stick her head up their bum. However I do hack a lot on my own to keep her napping at bay but I would never hack there and back, always go in a loop as going somewhere and turning round to go home just makes it worse imo.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I had to get a very experienced instructor to sort mine out [she rides him], he is now forward going, she did lots of flatwork, he spends first fifteen minutes of his lesson grumping, then settles in, for forty minutes, she never did lateral work as she felt it would encourage his backwards thinking, he just likes what he likes which is a bit of jumping and this that and t'other, really not flatwork, or even hacking on his own, as it is all too boring for him.
I always try to make sure he went in a loop not there and back.
I carry a schooling whip and use it every day, he just never gives up!
Walking makes it easy for him, I would trot out and walk home.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Im going through this myself at the moment he tried going up and spinning on spot with me so dont want that to carry on at all, I am getting help with this too so hoping he will sort himself out.
He hacks alone and in company

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I dont think you ever cure it but you learn to handle it....& because they realise you can handle it they are less likely to try it! (if that makes sense) Yes, i agree practice will help but only if you practice correctly. If you are going out and the horse is winning every time they are effectively practicing how to nap instead!! Someone suggested "take it out hunting" but tbh honest this wouldnt have helped my nappy horse as she wouldnt have napped out hunting (never took her but i can tell the types of situations which are likely to provoke a nappy reaction!) My top napping tips are; (!)

* use ALOT of leg (pony club kicks)
*carry a schooling whip
*loosen reins and hold the mane so there is absolutely NO back pull on the horses mouth
*NEVER turn for home, ALWAYS do your hacks in 'loops'.
*Always be safe- plenty hi-viz...& If you questiion your control/safety- go back to the drawing board and get in the school and of course seek a proffessionals advice....

best wishes ;)

LaurenBay

Visit site
Yes, it takes time and patience.

My mare went through a stage of planting and trying to spin. When she planted, I would use my schooling whip and voice. Usually that would be enough to get her going again, she stopped a lot less after. If it couldn't get her going (sometimes she would just reverse into whatever was around her) I would get off and lead, re-mount where possible. She soon learnt that I would make her continue the hack regardless of wether I was on top of her or not. It took a while but she hasn't planted in around 3 months *Touches Wood*

Buds_mum

Visit site
I think you can, you've just got to be more stubborn than they are!

yes I once sat on my old horse for 45 mins!!! at just one spot on the road, he did a few mins of trying to turn, spin basic tantrum stuff. I just blocked him, he wasn't allowed anywhere but forward. So we stood there, and stood and stood.... eventually he gave a great but huff and marched forward in a very pompous manner :D I really did just sit him out. He never napped again!!!! we did hack and hack though as had no option with having no school...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
yes I once sat on my old horse for 45 mins!!! at just one spot on the road, he did a few mins of trying to turn, spin basic tantrum stuff. I just blocked him, he wasn't allowed anywhere but forward. So we stood there, and stood and stood.... eventually he gave a great but huff and marched forward in a very pompous manner :D I really did just sit him out. He never napped again!!!! we did hack and hack though as had no option with having no school...

Oh, I can beat that. Try a couple of hours.....

Lizzie0682

Visit site
Yes you definitely can. These are my tips:-

1- get everything checked. Nothing like the guilt of realising there was a genuine issue.
2- Take them out in hand. Gets them used to just being the two if you, good confidence trust builder for you both. At some point you can build up to getting on on way back, getting on half way, getting on after 1/4 way etc
3- If you do have to get off, don't feel bad! Get off and lead them past and re mount if / when possible.
4- get someone to walk out with you. The person had no effect on my horses behaviour, but for me knowing I had some reassurance worked wonders!
5- pick your battles. If you're not feeling 'up for it' do something else that will leave you both feeling positive. You need to be in the mood and have the time to have it out with them. We all know how bad it feels after a frustrating ride, don't feel pressured by others opinions.
6- Your voice is your weapon! Practise the growly voice shouting (I find a slightly French accent helps? Weird) at any backwards moves and nice reassuring one For good behaviour.
7- Pony club kicks are your friend. You can sense when the 'nap' is coming kick and shout into trot if needs be- the key is to get in before they do!
8- Be prepared to wait. As others have said, sitting there, no aids, apart from stopping them going home will often be met with a massive sigh and then they'll trudge off.
9- Dont feel above getting an instructors help to hack out, we can see from H&h it's a v common problem!
10- When you do get out on your own, don't forget to give them a pat. With all the trying to remember everything else and speak in a French accent all my horse actually needs sometimes is a bit of a pat to reassure him it's all ok!

I know it's not as easy as a list, but you can get there and it's so, so good when you do! Good luck!!!

scarymare

Visit site
Oh, I can beat that. Try a couple of hours.....

LOL same. I'm actually just about to take on a nappy one and was actually wondering if I still had the bottle. Glad I read this thread as has really taken me back and reminded me of some of the tricks of the trade. I do have fond memories of reversing a horse 200 yards down a bridleway when it kept spinning.

OP What also works well is peeps on the ground with lungewhips but NOT in traffic! I don't have anyone now though. Ditto the getting off and leading. This was really frowned upon back in the day (why?) but is very effective indeed. Ditto also the looped rides but not an option for me so very important if its there and back to change the 'back' turning point.