Curiosity is getting the better of me!!

sam_

Visit site
I really REALLY want to enquire about a horse i bought over a year ago now but have always been to chicken haha! I know were he was bred and who rode him but have never had the courage to just send a little e-mail purely out of curiosity and find out any other information!

He was bought by a well known stud and not sure if they would mind or not, it's nothing in particular as i love him to pieces and he's all and more i could ask for in a horse and will live out the rest of his life with me! So it really is just a musing!

Has anyone done this before or should i just leave it and not let my nose get the better of me!!

be positive

Visit site
Most people would be pleased to receive an update on a horse they had produced, send a brief email with a few details and a photo, if they have time I am sure they will get back to you, no harm done if they don't bother.

babymare

Visit site
There is no harm dropping a e mail or letter. If they dont respond ok they dont respond. I posted on welsh cob forum and by chance a friend of my mares breeder saw it and contacted me. Her relief of knowing Baby was safe was immense(baby was abused by person inbetween breeder and me ) we swopped emails she told me where when and how baby was born. she sent me beautiful photos.She simply was so happy i had baby. Sadly my last mail wasnt replied to so I cant tell her baby was PTS loved cared for and missed(had already told her baby was going blind so young). go for it as hey if they dont want to reply they wont but who knows :)x

sam_

Visit site
Thankyou :) I don't even know were to start with the e-mail but i would really like to, it would be nice to hear any additional info about him and i would like to think they would be happy to know he has a good home were he is loved and spoiled!

Just need to figure out what to write and be brave enough to press the send button haha!

Shantara

Visit site
Do it!! :D

I didn't manage to contact Ned's owners/breeders (and now I know more, I'm SO glad!) but I did manage to find the woman who took him in and cared for him for a bit :) She cried when she saw his picture, she was almost certain he was dead!

Doo iiitt :D

sam_

Visit site
Do it!! :D

I didn't manage to contact Ned's owners/breeders (and now I know more, I'm SO glad!) but I did manage to find the woman who took him in and cared for him for a bit :) She cried when she saw his picture, she was almost certain he was dead!

Doo iiitt :D

I think i am going to have to! The more i think about it the worse it's getting! I do currently have my e-mail open and a blank page hehe :D that's one step closer than i have ever been before! What a lovely story finding the woman that had cared for him!

be positive

Visit site
Thankyou :) I don't even know were to start with the e-mail but i would really like to, it would be nice to hear any additional info about him and i would like to think they would be happy to know he has a good home were he is loved and spoiled!

Just need to figure out what to write and be brave enough to press the send button haha!

You don't have to put too much, just enough to get their interest, " I now own xxxxx that you had in your yard in 20???, he is much loved and has a home with me for life doing ???? I would love to know more about his younger days when you owned him, I would be really interested if you have any memories that you could share, I look forward to hearing from you" keep it short and sweet and don't really ask for anything specific until you get a response then you will not be so disappointed if they do not reply.

cambrica

Visit site
Send them an email with a photo, I'm sure they would be thrilled.
Every year I send a Christmas card with some photos and a short letter to the stud I bought mine from. I receive a card from the owner always keen to hear how he's getting on.

debbielinder

Visit site
I did it and received a lovely letter back from my horses breeder now in friends with her daughter on Facebook and she takes an interest in things I put on about him plus it was useful to find out about his breeding and his past

sam_

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) I'm so glad it's all positive replies! Makes me feel alot happier about doing it and not so worried haha! Just keep saying to myself that there's no harm at the end of the day and if i don't get a reply then at least i have tried which is better than not trying at all!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I contacted the breeder of my first horse. His name and address was on the papers (this was before passports came in!) so I wrote him a letter, giving him an update, asking what he could tell me and giving him my contact details. He phoned me about 3 months later, was delighted I'd got in touch and invited me to visit the stud. I went over with my Mom, he showed us around, met my horse's dam and her current foal. It was lovely! I used to send him a little update with a photo about every 6 months while I still had the horse.

I say go for it!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I have done in the past.

It can't dø any harm.
A simple email is not being pushy, they might not reply if they arnt bothered.
But most people would send even a short email.

justabob

Visit site
Go for it, I did and got a lovely email from Broadsmill Stud that bred my horse. They stood the stallion and owned the mare. They were delighted that I got in touch.

morrismob

Visit site
I once rang a very well known rider to ask about a horse that we owned, instructor told me to just ring, someone he knew had her number so I rang her feeling a real fool but she was lovely and answered all my questions and gave me a real insight into the horse. It was a case of my name is but you don't know me….. Good luck

sam_

Visit site
I would love baby pictures of him, i can imagine him being a cute foal lol! I am happy that they seem to be happy that you have got in touch! I'm not sure whether to e-mail the breeder or the stud that bought him as a 3yo and started his competition career?? hmmmmm....

be positive

Visit site
I would love baby pictures of him, i can imagine him being a cute foal lol! I am happy that they seem to be happy that you have got in touch! I'm not sure whether to e-mail the breeder or the stud that bought him as a 3yo and started his competition career?? hmmmmm....

Go for it and email both, double your chances of a reply.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
DO IT!!! I have recently had the pleasure of getting in touch with the owner of a pony I bred and had lost contact with. I was so thrilled to hear he's doing well.

I also purchased a lead rein pony for my son last November and I wanted more information on her. I wrote to the previous owner listed in the pony's passport. The following day I got a phone call off the old owner who was delighted to hear how April is doing and she is hopefully coming to visit.

I stay in contact with ponies I sell as I like to know what they are up to. I hope you find out what you want to.

Faithkat

Visit site
I've done the opposite. I chased up a NF pony that I had sold a couple of years previously to find he had gone first to France and now he is in Istanbul owned by the Istanbul Equestrian Association (god bless the Internet!). I emailed them explaining I had owned him from a 6 month-old weanling to 3.5 years and that I had done all the groundwork and backed and started him and asked how he was now. I received a charming reply with a video of him attached. It was lovely :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I found the lady who bred mine by emailing the stud who had the stallion just saying "I own XXXXX which is by your stallion XXXXXXX and out of XXXXXXX. I just wanted you to know he is a very much loved, brilliant etc etc horse". They emailed me back straight away, they asked if they could forward the email to the owner of the mare, and we have been in touch now and again ever since. The horse had gone from being happy and confident with her to a couple of homes, one of which he had pretty much fallen apart. After that she lost contact. She was happy to see him restored to his previous nature.

I was ecstatic when she sent me a baby foal photo. Jay had impossibly long legs as a baby!!!!!!

Jenna1406

Visit site
I got in touch with the person that bred my filly as well, and got some foal piccys (breagha is only rising 2) and got a picture of her mum. Waiting for picture of her dad :D

sam_

Visit site
Thankyou so much everyone :D I'm definitely feeling a lot better about doing it now!! I will be writing the email today and hopefully will get a response! I will keep you all posted!! :D