Current horse market - am I being unrealistic?

GrumpyHero

Visit site
Hi again, sorry I've posted quite a few threads recently.

I lost my old boy about 6 weeks ago, and have been looking for a new friend since.
My budget is up to £7500 which I thought would be reasonable. I'm really struggling to even find anything under this price, let alone something sound/uncomplicated/not an ex racer.
Found one suitable in my search, slightly over budget, had it vetted and it failed on front limb lameness on a small circle.

Am I being really unrealistic with what I want? Please be honest.
I'm looking for something 4-8, 16hh-16.3hh (I'm quite tall) and capable of doing a bit of everything.
Don't mind it being green or just backed.
I don't want a world beater or something capable of going showjumping or eventing, just a nice horse to spend all my time/money on and have a bit of enjoyment out of, doing fun rides, occasionally jumped the small xc jumps on my yard and maybe even the odd low level dressage test eventually.

My old horse had multiple health issues so I've missed out on fun riding for the past 6-7 years. I really don't want an ex racer if I can help it.

Just feeling quite disheartened as everything seems to be 10k+. I've got a bank loan out to buy my new friend and don't really want to borrow anymore.
Has anyone else bought recently and what did you get/what did you pay?

Thanks for reading sorry this turned into a bit of a rant!

Greylegs

Visit site
I bought "your" horse just before Christmas. A 16hh Irish cob mare, passed a full 5 stage vetting, she'll be 8 next month. Not a world beater but nice enough, decent amount of bone but not a heavyweight, a bit green but good enough paces to do a prelim dressage test at my local riding club, sensible temperament, works well in the school and is coming along well, hacks nicely alone and in company, can pop a small fence (I'm not a jumper!) ... My budget was up to £10k, but I paid £8,500.00 and thought she was fairly priced for what she is in the current the market.

Anything I looked at that was cheaper had issues, was significantly older or was a type I put in my (short) "not for me" list. Sadly, they are a type everyone wants and in short supply, hence the prices I suspect. I count myself very lucky to have her (and I did NOT want a mare!!). Good luck with your search .... I looked for around 4 months and viewed a few others before I got lucky.

Equine|Divine

Visit site
As previously said, the market at the moment is a bit ridiculous. After Covid the increase in sales prices in unbelievable. Young, unbroken cobs are going at the same prices as connemaras are.

If I were you I would try and find a good breeder (not using any big names in their breeding), get something unbroken and then use the money left over from your budget to get the horse backed and ridden away for you. If you look on any of these sites (e.g. Horsequest) then you are going to see horses going for silly money, which is why I suggest you find a breeder, or someone not advertising, and give them a call/email saying what type you are after and for how much.

This is what I'm doing with my budget for a 4 year old, 13.2hh, unbroken WPB:
  • Purchasing for £2,500.
  • Spending £800 on having them backed and riding away (this will be for a duration of 8 weeks or more/less).
  • The rest of my budget will be for purchasing tack, rugs etc...

GrumpyHero

Visit site
I bought "your" horse just before Christmas. A 16hh Irish cob mare, passed a full 5 stage vetting, she'll be 8 next month. Not a world beater but nice enough, decent amount of bone but not a heavyweight, a bit green but good enough paces to do a prelim dressage test at my local riding club, sensible temperament, works well in the school and is coming along well, hacks nicely alone and in company, can pop a small fence (I'm not a jumper!) ... My budget was up to £10k, but I paid £8,500.00 and thought she was fairly priced for what she is in the current the market.

Anything I looked at that was cheaper had issues, was significantly older or was a type I put in my (short) "not for me" list. Sadly, they are a type everyone wants and in short supply, hence the prices I suspect. I count myself very lucky to have her (and I did NOT want a mare!!). Good luck with your search .... I looked for around 4 months and viewed a few others before I got lucky.

This sounds very similar to the horse I had vetted last week. I was totally gutted when the vet said it was lame on a small circle. I guess the issue is yeah, lots of people want a similar horse to me but the amount available doesn't meet the demand! I think this is why I am also feeling really disheartened - tried to not get excited about this horse just in case this happened, but its still a blow when it does! Especially since I could really see myself with it.

As previously said, the market at the moment is a bit ridiculous. After Covid the increase in sales prices in unbelievable. Young, unbroken cobs are going at the same prices as connemaras are.

If I were you I would try and find a good breeder (not using any big names in their breeding), get something unbroken and then use the money left over from your budget to get the horse backed and ridden away for you. If you look on any of these sites (e.g. Horsequest) then you are going to see horses going for silly money, which is why I suggest you find a breeder, or someone not advertising, and give them a call/email saying what type you are after and for how much.

• Purchasing for £2,500.
  • Spending £800 on having them backed and riding away (this will be for a duration of 8 weeks or more/less).
I have been thinking of going down this route instead. I just worry that I lack the experience to do an unbroken horse justice! I have plenty of more knowledgeable people around me at my yard who would of course help plus my YO is an instructor too, I guess that it boils down to more of a self confidence issue because I've not ridden properly (other than walk hacking) for so long.

I'll have to ask around/see if I can research any breeders of the type I want as at the moment it does seem this is going to be the most realistic route to go down.

Goldenstar

Visit site
There have been several young Irish horses n Facebook recently coming straight from small breeders that would could able just get over the water for that price.
Sure there’s also loads who cost more than double that as well .
Keep looking I saw a nice ( on the ad of course ) 3 yo on I think it was horse quest coming from the breeder ( uk that’s saves a fair bit )at 6750 I thought if it was as it looked someone was going to get a nice horse at reasonable money .
Keeping looking leave no stone unturned .

sport horse

Visit site

• Purchasing for £2,500.

I think there is a huge difference in price between a 13.2 and a 16 - 16.3 ! You may be able to find someone to back your pony for £800. I regularly have young sport horses broken in in the Home Counties and the going rate is £250/week plus VAT. After 6 weeks they would be broken, in that an experienced rider could walk,trot & canter them in a school and they would have been walked around a farm track. Absolutely not ready for life in a livery yard and to go to local riding club etc. If you then have to pay someone to 'help' you and pay livery etc your costs will soon mount up.

Keep looking, save your livery costs and add it to your budget. Keep your eyys on the good dealers. Maybe consider a year or two older. Your horse will find you.

Soap On A Rope

Visit site

I lost my old boy about 6 weeks ago, and have been looking for a new friend since.
My budget is up to £7500 which I thought would be reasonable. I'm really struggling to even find anything under this price, let alone something sound/uncomplicated/not an ex racer.
Found one suitable in my search, slightly over budget, had it vetted and it failed on front limb lameness on a small circle.

I'm looking for something 4-8, 16hh-16.3hh (I'm quite tall) and capable of doing a bit of everything.
I don't want a world beater or something capable of going showjumping or eventing, just a nice horse to spend all my time/money on and have a bit of enjoyment out of, doing fun rides, occasionally jumped the small xc jumps on my yard and maybe even the odd low level dressage test eventually.

My old horse had multiple health issues so I've missed out on fun riding for the past 6-7 years. I really don't want an ex racer if I can help it.

Just feeling quite disheartened as everything seems to be 10k+. I've got a bank loan out to buy my new friend and don't really want to borrow anymore.

How about this chap ? ( HORSEQUEST)
1650732087186.png
HANDSOME GELDING
16HH GREY GELDING
Print Email a FriendRef #: 275922
  • A lovely horse to have around
  • Works nicely in the school and has done a bit of jumping
  • Hacks amazing alone or with company
£7,000 ono
  • Irish
  • Grey
  • Gelding
  • 6 years
  • 16 hands
16hh 6 yrs old Irish type Gelding. He is a lovely horse to have around, works nicely in the school and has done a bit of jumping.
Hacks amazing alone or with company. Jumped over logs and tyres and wasn’t fazed. Never bucked, reared or bronked!
Jumped around small courses in the school and is showing great potential but still a bit green. He has been hunting & cross country and behaved impeccably.

Loads and travels lovely. Loves to be groomed and pampered
Happy to live In or out with mares,foals and geldings
Hacks alone or in company. Good with children and dogs
Good with the farrier/vet

Based in Cornwall

Feel free to send a WhatsAypp or call on 07595 095798
Read less

Last edited:

GrumpyHero

Visit site
How about this chap ? ( HORSEQUEST)
View attachment 91370
HANDSOME GELDING
16HH GREY GELDING
Print Email a FriendRef #: 275922
  • A lovely horse to have around
  • Works nicely in the school and has done a bit of jumping
  • Hacks amazing alone or with company
£7,000 ono
  • Irish
  • Grey
  • Gelding
  • 6 years
  • 16 hands
16hh 6 yrs old Irish type Gelding. He is a lovely horse to have around, works nicely in the school and has done a bit of jumping.
Hacks amazing alone or with company. Jumped over logs and tyres and wasn’t fazed. Never bucked, reared or bronked!
Jumped around small courses in the school and is showing great potential but still a bit green. He has been hunting & cross country and behaved impeccably.

Loads and travels lovely. Loves to be groomed and pampered
Happy to live In or out with mares,foals and geldings
Hacks alone or in company. Good with children and dogs
Good with the farrier/vet

Based in Cornwall

Feel free to send a WhatsAypp or call on 07595 095798
Read less
I have seen this one! Unfortunately he’s about 6 hours from me which is just too far ?

Squeak

Visit site
I thought I'd started to see prices going down a bit recently but unfortunately you are looking for what a lot of people want.

Personally I'd either look at things that are older or an ex-racer and make sure you get a five stage vetting. I've known some just backed horses breakdown so in some ways something that is out doing the job you want already and been doing it for a few years may hopefully mean that they're able to stand up to it.

SO1

Visit site
My salary is down by £48 a month due to NI rises my livery is up by £90 a month. People are going to start feeling the price increases and unless we have wage inflation then it is going to be difficult.

I expect prices will fall in the Autumn when people start getting the shock of another energy price increase.

Last edited:

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
I think what you’re looking for is what most people are looking for - a low level relatively safe all rounder- so demand for that is high. Prices do seem to have dropped slightly since covid but not by much. If it were me I’d probably wait till next year to see what the market does, we are only just coming out of covid. At the moment there’s the odd one under 10k but most of what you’re looking for seems to be in the mid five range

Goldenstar

Visit site
You’re probably going to have a long wait if you are napping at driving six hours for something with the right CV .

I do think there are some cheaper horses about now I think the Irish producers / dealers ( always the quickest and sharpest to read the market ) are already pricing down the very green and unstarted horses .
Their next stage will be to bred fewer and leave out the younger ones for longer .

oldjumper

Visit site

Don’t dismiss ex-racers unless you need something heavier. Over many years I’ve had several - very cheap or free direct from owner/trainer and all have been lovely horses. All different abilities and talents but between them have succeeded in showing SJ RC competitions long-distance trec. All have been bril to hack, bomb proof in traffic and a joy to handle. Ex racers vary (like any horses) but if you find a nice one they can be the sweetest most polite partners ?

lme

Visit site
Where were you looking??
UK and Ireland. Like the OP, I wasn’t looking for a world beater, just a nice young horse to bring on to do a bit of everything.

Anything 16 to 16:2 aged 5 to 8 seemed to be more expensive. Under 16h wasn’t really an option for me so I ended up with a gangly 17h 4yo who has now grown. The trade off is that she won’t be doing much this year because, although she’s now 5, she needs to grow into herself.