Current market...

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
Is anyone else finding that selling horses is a nightmare? I've advertised my mare on literally every site possible (cost me a fortune) and I haven't received the interest I was hoping for! A lot of people wanting horses for nothing or wanting me to hold her till the summer! Any one else having these issues?

sam-b

Visit site
I sold my boy within 2 days of advertising on horsequest and had a lot of interest , was at 6k for a rising 5 year old . My friends selling their grade b 15 year old school master at 3.5 k have had no interest so think it may depend on what you are selling

Visit site
Well my horse is what it is in the adverts. Ive used plenty of pictures and videos also. Ive even reduced the asking price. I think the markets lower than it was back when I was buying and selling lots. My mare would have been snapped up back then! She should be in H&H mag next week but im not sure that will help either!

be positive

Visit site
If she is the 15.2 chestnut mare, I would try the PC market, she is smaller than most serious SJ homes would want and if she would be sensible could do PC teams etc.
You do not mention if she goes well on the flat or if she has done any XC, I have one by H du C and he is very sensible and bold XC, he moves well enough for dressage also.
I only looked at the ad on Horsedeals and the photo of her jumping is not showing a tidy front leg, you may have a better photo too.

sam-b

Visit site
Agree with the above, I right she is at 10k? I have a mare similar to her but more Bsja winnings dressage points, an eventing record and 2 inches higher , I am not sure what i would price her at , she was placed at blue chip final and also qualified scope and amateur final tho I didn't go due to circumstance, not sure I would get 10 for her at moment ? She is a 9 year old. If I was selling would prob expect about 7 to be realistic

Visit site
Well I payed 15k as a 4yr old! She hasnt done enough due to family break up and then Uni, hence the sale. She is at the price my coach and another jockey advised me to place her as. Shes done small xc schooling and was bold. There should be other pics of her jumping too in which her front legs are better. She never touches a pole!! Shes on PC and had some interest but they all want to measure her down as a pony for the Europeans! She isnt really small enough for that! Shes super scopey and very wasted with me, I dont want to give her away at 7! She owes me more than that and someone will make some money on her as she is! Shes a serious horse despite her size! She would make nice event type, I just put her on the BE website.

sam-b

Visit site
I can understand you not wanting to give her away, but the market isn't what it was a few years ago, my mare boldly schools be novice and is tidy over a fence, infact at one point almost too careful , to me the current market dictates a lesser price if you want to sell in a realistic time frame

Visit site
Im going to stick with my guns on this one and go with the professionals opinion. Shes had a few viewings, some by pony riders wanting her to measure down, and some by event people! They all love her and say shes perfect and a good price. Pony people only didnt want her as would measure too big (obvs) and event people said they need to sell theirs first and asked if I could hold her till the summer, which im not in the position to do! Shes one you need to see to appreciate im afraid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0yCs-RFL-A&feature=g-upl&context=G2f486bbAUAAAAAAABAA

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Im going to stick with my guns on this one and go with the professionals opinion. Shes had a few viewings, some by pony riders wanting her to measure down, and some by event people! They all love her and say shes perfect and a good price. Pony people only didnt want her as would measure too big (obvs) and event people said they need to sell theirs first and asked if I could hold her till the summer, which im not in the position to do! Shes one you need to see to appreciate im afraid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0yCs-RFL-A&feature=g-upl&context=G2f486bbAUAAAAAAABAA
well, good luck with it :) I'm sure she is very special.

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I think it is tougher, I advertised my gelding before xmas and had loads of viewings but people were expecting a lot more for their money.

I put him back on a week or so ago (horsequest) for slightly less and I have a second viewing today (think she is going to buy him). I did put him on for less than I wanted but good home is more important than price :)

TheMule

Visit site
You're going to seriously struggle at that price, she's too expensive for any state of market imho. An 8yr old only jumping 1.05s is not particularly impressive and the fact she cost 15k as a 4yr old is niether here nor there- Harlequin 4yr olds were going for peanuts at Gorsebridge in the autumn

measles

Visit site
A small word of advice. You may want to make some of the videos on your account private as they show her spooking at fillers and hopping backwards/sideways with the rider having to take a hand off the rein to smack her on take off. Potential customers will see these and make assumptions even if they are not a true reflection of how she is going at the moment. She looks a nice mare and very "Harlequin" :)

Visit site
Thank you! She is very special. Shes ready to jump newcomers and fox but I dont have time with uni, hence the selling! Her half brother competes 2star and her half sister is with my friend jumping 1.30s. I dont doubt my mare can do the same in the right home! After all its what I bought her to do, just hasnt worked out for me. Ive compared her to things advertised at the moment and I think im being reasonable. Shes also a mare and would be valuable to breed from! Ive already had a few people but circumstances dont suit them! Im sure someone else will come along soon enough. Shes only been advertised properly for a week and a bit!

TarrSteps

Visit site
If she's ready to do those classes why not get someone on her to do a couple? Is she jumping full courses at that height? At that age you can't really go on breeding and potential anymore.

Her market is limited, which doesn't necessarily make her cheaper but it does mean you really have to market her and convince people why they should come and see her.

At that price point you are competing with professionally marketed horses and targeting an audience used to looking at expensive horses. It's not a personal reflection, it's just business.

Btw, the professionals who have advised you on her price, why not go back and offer them a chance to sell her on commission if time is tight? Okay, you will lose a bit but presumably they have the contacts to get top money so it should even out.

Matafleur

Visit site
Those videos are from over a year ago! Its stated its one of her first shows out! Newer videos show that shes not like that anymore! After all no horse is perfect. She moves on when told and gets on with the job!

I don't think Measles was suggesting there was anything wrong with what the horse was doing, and as you say 1st time out it's to be expected a little bit. But buyers are put off by all sorts of things and you need to take away any reason for them to be put off - particularly if you want to achieve £10k for her in todays market. Remember that someone browsing through lots of horses probably won't look closely at the fact they are old videos etc but may just skip onto the next horse.

I'm not suggesting she is not a nice horse or not worth the money, you may well be able to get £10k for her. I can understand why people want to ask more for their horses but I do think that if you need to sell (and quickly!) then you are likely to have to compromise somewhere. :)

Good luck and hope you find here a nice home :)

X

xspiralx

The problem is, you paid a very high price for potential when she was 4. The fact that she has not achieved that potential with you is not her fault, but unfortunately that has no bearing on her value now.

I'm sure she's a fabulous horse, but at 10k she's up against horses that are already competing at Fox, or younger horses with potential at the same level that she is now.

Your best bet would be to get a pro to take her round a couple of 1.20s to prove she is capable if you want to get that kind of price.

Visit site
The one lady has been jumping her for me and is going to jump 1.05 and newcomers next weds or the weds after! They havnt got space to have her in else I would have done that but they also think I am capable of selling her on my own (I used to buy and sell). She is always noticed at shows and people on the circuit are all asking round for me! I've actually got people all over asking round for me now! I would jump the bigger classes myself (i used to on my other horse) but uni is seriously getting in the way! Its a sad decision, I love this horse to bits but its the right time and the right thing to do. Until I get my own stables I cant keep more than one! I would love to see her doing what she should be doing!

Visit site
As I say Ive already reduced the price from what I was first told to advertise her for. Ive been browsing sales websites such as BE, H&H, ect and she seems reasonable to me for age, scope, qualifications, potential ect. Ive spoke to other people selling and they are having the same issues as me. I came on here to find out if other people are having similar issues, not for opinions on the value of my own horse!

sam-b

Visit site
I think the thing is people are suggesting why you may be having issues, i.e. the price, my friend would probably have her to sell for you, and he is a professional, but will obviously cost - I can give you his details if you want?

X

xspiralx

As I say Ive already reduced the price from what I was first told to advertise her for. Ive been browsing sales websites such as BE, H&H, ect and she seems reasonable to me for age, scope, qualifications, potential ect. Ive spoke to other people selling and they are having the same issues as me. I came on here to find out if other people are having similar issues, not for opinions on the value of my own horse!

You complained that you hadn't had the interest you were hoping for - people are just suggesting reasons for that.

Visit site
Im not sure if I can afford to lose any more! I have a couple of people who have shown some interest this morning so im going to see how it goes. Shes in H&H next week too (fingers crossed, i expected to see her in it this week)