Cushings - Grey area and Prascend

meleeka

Visit site
Does anyone know what the usual dose is for a horse who has tested ‘in the grey area’ and has symptoms? Obviously I will speak to my vet, who’s currently on holiday, when they return.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Is this a horse who has previously not had raised ACTH levels, but is now just below the reference range?

First timers are often started on 0.5 tablets/day.

The IDx, who was a little above the reference range, went straight onto 1 tablet a day and her ACTH levels are still well controlled on the same dose 5 years later.

Last edited:

Winters100

Visit site
I cannot claim to be an expert, but one of mine was found to have low level Cushings last year. She gets half a tablet per day. Of course I also changed her feeding routine, but this has been enough for her to have normal results in 2 subsequent tests.

The most useful tip I have, which I got from someone on this forum from Not_So_Brave_Anymore, is to give the tablet in dry food. My girl would absolutely reject it in apples and carrots, to the point of not taking them just in case they were hiding a tablet. When Not_So_Brave gave me the advice to try it in dry food it was a game changer. A small handful of muesli and she does not even notice it.

chaps89

Visit site
I cannot claim to be an expert, but one of mine was found to have low level Cushings last year. She gets half a tablet per day. Of course I also changed her feeding routine, but this has been enough for her to have normal results in 2 subsequent tests.

The most useful tip I have, which I got from someone on this forum from Not_So_Brave_Anymore, is to give the tablet in dry food. My girl would absolutely reject it in apples and carrots, to the point of not taking them just in case they were hiding a tablet. When Not_So_Brave gave me the advice to try it in dry food it was a game changer. A small handful of muesli and she does not even notice it.
So glad I read this - I cannot get my livery pony to eat his tablet anymore, pears, carrots, apples, in a food bowl, in his dinner, from my hand, covered in likit, it’s all a no. Going to try sneaking it in on its own in some feed tonight to see if that works ???

meleeka

Visit site
It looks like 1/2 tablet might be the prescribed dose then. The vet that took the sample said she wouldn’t treat, so I’ve got to wait for my own vet to come back to agree to a trial, which I’m sure she will. Horse has had recurrent abscesses for the last 6 months which may or may not be related but imo there’s only one way to find out. I’m not bothered about getting her to take it as she’s totally unfussy. My other, fussy pony has been on Prascend for 10 years, so I have tried every trick there is.

Thanks everyone who commented.

meleeka

Visit site
Good luck.

What were the current levels found vs the reference range, as a matter of interest?

I don’t even know that yet! The vet left an abrupt message saying “Results are in the grey area, I wouldn’t bother treating that, but call me if you want to chat”. I had dealings with this vet back in the Spring and wasn’t impressed so Im just going to wait for my vet.

J&S

Visit site
My elderly mare has just tested in the grey area and my vet who is very conscientious and experienced horse vet has said not to treat her.

planete

Visit site
I would treat her and see whether it made a difference. It is a good idea to start with a small dose to avoid side effects. PPID being a progressive disease, I do not understand why we should delay treatment. My biggest regret is that my horse's treatment was delayed through various factors and by the time he was treated the damage was too advanced. He was also in the 'grey' area and the vet dismissed the results as nothing to worry about.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
My vets were happy to treat early too but he did have active laminitis so not sure if that made a difference to their approach.

I'm eighteen months into treating for 'grey area' PPID & honestly can't say how much difference it's made.

We've been laminitis free *touches all the wood it continues* but I have my horse back and he's coping fine with grass turnout (although managed), he's full of life again (a little too full at times ?) and hasn't looked better. Interestingly, his mild sweet itch, pollen allergies and summer head shaking have all gone too..

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
My elderly mare has just tested in the grey area and my vet who is very conscientious and experienced horse vet has said not to treat her.

possible the difference is that in this case OP has said the horse also has symptoms.

OP my horse had 2 very negative results but very clear symptoms. I trialled him very successfully on 1 pd but that level was built up over around 3 weeks to avoid the veil.

J&S

Visit site
My mare is 25, she was quite a bit fluffier in her coat last winter, not curly at all. She took longer to shed than usual, quality of summer coat not so good as used to be. I asked for a Cushings test because of this, as a precaution. She is pretty good for her age in all other ways. TBH I don't really know what else to look for as a symptom, but this vet has known her nearly all the active life so I am happy to take his advice on this.
Did she have symptoms? Im happy to try it. If it makes no difference I can always take her off it again.

meleeka

Visit site
My mare is 25, she was quite a bit fluffier in her coat last winter, not curly at all. She took longer to shed than usual, quality of summer coat not so good as used to be. I asked for a Cushings test because of this, as a precaution. She is pretty good for her age in all other ways. TBH I don't really know what else to look for as a symptom, but this vet has known her nearly all the active life so I am happy to take his advice on this.
There seems to be no hard and fast rules. I had one with those exact symptoms and she came back with a very definite positive, which surprised me. She’s never had other symptoms.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My horse was tested in spring and in a grey area they said re test in Autumn but he just didn't shed his winter coat hardly at all this year, vet took one look at him and gave me a prescription and his on half a tablet a day now.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my mare was lethargic and was slow to lose her coat. i asked my vet to test for cushings and she said she doesnt look like a cushings horse. the test came back at a reading of 172, my vet was very surprised. she was put on 1 prascend immediately and within about 6 weeks (i think) she was her usual loony self . i had her for a further 5 years and although i was careful with feeding she had all day turnout in winter and 24/7 in summer as i wanted her to have good quality life even if it was shortened. i kept her free of laminitis and she was PTS when she became pottery and her levels could not be controlled by 4 tablets a day...

chaps89

Visit site
Sorry, realised my last post didn’t help you at all OP, sorry.
I have two here both low level/borderline and both on half a tablet a day which has bought their levels back to normal.
1 is very sensitive metabolically and also took forever to lose his very long winter coat. The other grew an even longer than normal ‘summer’ coat (he like a yak) and had a swollen sheath (neither thing changed by starting the tablets)
If yours has symptoms a half a tablet is likely to be the starting point.

On another note - I hd success getting the tricky one to eat his tablet in a tiny handful of dry chaff tonight, thanks for that tip winters, long may it last

HashRouge

Visit site
It looks like 1/2 tablet might be the prescribed dose then. The vet that took the sample said she wouldn’t treat, so I’ve got to wait for my own vet to come back to agree to a trial, which I’m sure she will. Horse has had recurrent abscesses for the last 6 months which may or may not be related but imo there’s only one way to find out. I’m not bothered about getting her to take it as she’s totally unfussy. My other, fussy pony has been on Prascend for 10 years, so I have tried every trick there is.

Thanks everyone who commented.
My 14.2hh Arab had a borderline test result over 10 years ago, and like yours was tested because of recurrent abscesses. The vet suggested that we start on 1/2 tablet per day and she has been on that ever since - regular testing has showed that her levels are under control. We no longer have any issues with recurrent abscesses.

asmp

Visit site
Sorry, realised my last post didn’t help you at all OP, sorry.
I have two here both low level/borderline and both on half a tablet a day which has bought their levels back to normal.
1 is very sensitive metabolically and also took forever to lose his very long winter coat. The other grew an even longer than normal ‘summer’ coat (he like a yak) and had a swollen sheath (neither thing changed by starting the tablets)
If yours has symptoms a half a tablet is likely to be the starting point.

On another note - I hd success getting the tricky one to eat his tablet in a tiny handful of dry chaff tonight, thanks for that tip winters, long may it last
My 14.2hh Arab had a borderline test result over 10 years ago, and like yours was tested because of recurrent abscesses. The vet suggested that we start on 1/2 tablet per day and she has been on that ever since - regular testing has showed that her levels are under control. We no longer have any issues with recurrent abscesses.

It is interesting that you both say half a tablet. My 14.3 has just been tested and is just over the positive line and my vet has suggested trying him for a month to see if makes any difference. However, she has said to give him one tablet a day. I’m wondering whether to query it with her.

Archangel

Visit site
I would treat her and see whether it made a difference. It is a good idea to start with a small dose to avoid side effects. PPID being a progressive disease, I do not understand why we should delay treatment. My biggest regret is that my horse's treatment was delayed through various factors and by the time he was treated the damage was too advanced. He was also in the 'grey' area and the vet dismissed the results as nothing to worry about.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I now push for a blood test early and start treatment early. My horse was borderline and vet said I could leave it but I started on half a tablet. The difference in him is amazing.

chaps89

Visit site
It is interesting that you both say half a tablet. My 14.3 has just been tested and is just over the positive line and my vet has suggested trying him for a month to see if makes any difference. However, she has said to give him one tablet a day. I’m wondering whether to query it with her.
Mine are both 12.2 ponies but different vets if it makes any difference.

hobo

Visit site
Planete that is a great link thank you.

My 20 at the time was in a grey area no other sympton's apart from a laminitis attack. She went on to 1 tablet day had the best , quickest recovery that vet had seen. he was very worried about her when it happen. She has kept well in herself ever since though she is on borrowed riding time because of various leg problems but fingers crossed all well at the momment but I take each day as it comes.