Cushings?

ridersince2002

Visit site
Does anyone know much about cushings?
A pony at the yard i help at is susspected of having it, haing a blood test on monday i think.
Would just like to know a bit more about it and whether anyone has had any experiences whith it?
Shes a little laminetic welsh sec a and 19 years old :( and she was the first pony i ever rode, fell off, jumped and i sat my first buck on her :') but now she might have cushings :(
Does anyone know if the medication/tablets for it work? The yard is VERY strapped for cash at the moment (not saying a horses welfare doesnt come first, the horses always come first) but the vets not being very nice at the moment and is saying that if we dont get the tablets that cost at least £3 a day that he said are believed to slow the effects of cushings down, but htere are obviously no garuntees- he said if we didnt get them then he would call the rspce/ world horse welfare and put her to sleep :( OR we could get a second oppinion as to wheather she needs putting to sleep (shes a happy pony but we dont want to see her suffer)

anyway, does anyone have experiences, knowlege, treatments or random facts about cushings?

I have tried to look other places and ive googled it but its all a bit complicated for the uneducated to understand so if anyone can put it simply?

And i say 'we' like im important at the yard- im not. I rode there when i was little and still ride there but have been helping on the yard since i was about 8 :) and i work saturdays but volunteer and dont get paid, which is all good coz i get free rides on lovelyyyy crazy arabs :)

But yeah, help me please? :) thanks x

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
Lots that can be done to help her. The vets should be able to advise. Check out the 2 main websites for Cushings. One is a UK website and the other is a US one. Bothe fabulous. Lots of very helpful people. All there / have been there. All very willing to help. There is much to learn.

www.EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com
www.TheMetabolicHorse@yahoogroups.com

ridersince2002

Visit site
Oh dear, that h&h article was very helpful thanks :)
Really not looking good for the poor little girl :( :'(

And i cant get onto those other websites at the moment, my laptop is about 6 years old and very tempramental :rolleyes: but ill have a look when it starts behaving :S

:( :( :(

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
Not as bleak as it sounds, really. Just a matter of getting control of the Pituitary gland. "You" are now dealing with a system that is very sensitive to all stimuli and is unable to regulate itself.

Yell if you still have problems and I'll see what I can do. I lost one of mine to Cushings years ago and have tried to keep an eye on these websites so I can have an idea what to do if faced with this again.

A friend of mines horse has just been diagnosed and am about to wade through all the info to see what I can do to help her.

ew1801

Visit site
dont worry its not as bad as it sounds. cushings horses suffer with th following
thick/curly hair
laminitis
fat pockets
bulges above the eyes
drinks alot more
muscle wastage
pot bellied
low immune system and prone to infections and mouth ulcers
so you have to keep on top of worming, dentist and jabs

The tablets which are usually prescribed are pergolide which controls all the above symptoms. I pay £50 for 100 tablets plus £10 perscription charge. My mare is 14.1hh chunky cob and she has one tablet a day. (she was on two at first but as now been reduced now all the symptoms are in control). A welsh sec a i would think would only be on half a tablet a day but im not a vet. So if you work it out it doesnt actually cost that much for the tablets. Would work out at roundabout 30 pence a day.
good luck with her

sychnant

Visit site
My pony has it and is on Pergolide, which is probably the tablets you mean. Get your vet to write you a prescription (mine charge £10 for this) and buy them from a normal human chemist. 100 cost me £50 instead of £100 from the vet. The reason for this is that chemists buy them in bulk and therefore get a better deal on them, which they can pass on to you. Vets tend to buy a couple of boxes at a time, and don't get that same discount from the supplier :)

Cushings does not have to be a death sentence, so don't panic.

Also - change vets!!! Your current one sounds like an up himself idiot :)

barbann

Visit site
My 19 year old Arab was diagnosed with Cushings nearly 2 years ago. He had had laminitis in the past, but not from being overweight. He was put on Pergolide ( the amount they need depends on the results of the tests) and the first spring after that his coat would not shed so I had to clip him in June. However since then his coat has been normal. As far as his general health is concerned he is really well. Still getting placed at dressage and occasionally running off with my daughter (not at the same time)!! There is hope, don't despair.

ridersince2002

Visit site
Thank you everyone :)

barbann- its nice to hear your horse is still healthy :)

I feel a bit better about it now, got a bit of hope :)
Thanks everyone :) x

landyandy

Visit site
my 20 year old mare as cushings, it will depend on the blood test results,as to how much pergolide they need, at first she was on half a tablet a day.( she is a 15.2hh id, now she is only on half a tablet, every other day,and is doing great. i get my prescription free from my vet, then get them from my chemist,
don't give up hope, my mare is full of life, and i was devastated at the time.