Cushings

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Just got H's blood tests back for his cushings tablets check and he's 36.4- vet advised 25 is normal.

He's currently been on 1 tablet a day for the past 2 or so years.

I either have the option of increasing to 1 1/2 now then they re test in 4-6 weeks. Or I can leave then retest in 4-6 weeks as it is as possible anomaly as not massively elevated and poss seasonal changes but if the re test in 4-6 weeks doesn't show a drop I'd need to go to 1 1/2 anyway and then have another retest 4-6 weeks after that so thinking I may as well just start increasing now? He doesn't seem massively different perhaps weeing a bit more and slightly lathergic again but coat is starting to shed though he's got the longer hairs on his under belly.

Also where do those with prescriptions get their prascend from and how does it work?

Also been wondering as seen various threads for cushings- I used to think it was just little old ponies but is it becoming more common or is it just more tested for now?

TheBigPony

Visit site
I think it is personal choice. My horse is rather sensitive to prascend so I would prefer not to up the dose if I really didn't have to. Did the vet have a preference as to which they thought was the better option? Different vets seem to give different advise. My horse is above the normal levels at the moment but I have been advised to stick with the current level of prascend as she has no symptoms and she reacts badly to it. I think you just need to discuss with your vet what is the best option for your particular horse.

I buy prascend from ****** - i just send them the prescription and I have a regular monthly delivery set-up. Once the prescription has run out I just upload the new one.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I use animed direct, tablets are now 99p each...I used to use vio vet but they are now charging more than £1....each. I pay £12.50 for a prescription which covers me for 6 months worth of tablets.

oldie48

Visit site
I also use animed, they are excellent and yo can order by the month with a 6 month prescription which is helpful if you have an very elderly horse. I'd also take vet advice dosage.

Micky

Visit site
As said personal choice but if he is getting lethargic again, I would be tempted to up by half a tablet...animed are good, second them.. My vet says 29 is cut off at this time of year, I think 42(?) at peak season....

Pebble101

Visit site
My vet told me that they reckon that over 50% of horses could have it by the time they are 25 but it's often put down to age.

wendyplowright

New User
Visit site
I get a prescription for Prascend from the vet for current horse ( about £12) scan this and register with and send to Animed Direct- they are much, much cheaper than the vet !! Ask the vet for a 6 month prescription. Pills come within a couple of days.
Our old girl didn't handle the Prascend pills and became very miserable/depressed so I got a natural treatment from homeopathic vet and after 8 years on these, went on to make 33 !!

nicelittle

Visit site
We bought in bulk from the vet, and then the blood tests are free. Works out about £1 a tablet, so sounds pretty competitive compared to others!