Cut and cellulitis

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Looks like J enjoyed his week off last week that he has decided he wants another!

Last night noticed he had a cut on inside of front right leg. It was hot and puffy so cold hosed and popped him out.

Asked YO to check this morning and she said was still puffy but she had cleaned.

Tonight it was worse than yesterday so called the vet.

Cut is ok (just flesh and not near anything important the vet said) and he isnt lame on it but he has the start of cellulitis so she cleaned and gave him some injections and me a course of antibiotics and bute for 5 days.

Vet said hopefully won't get worse but to keep an eye on it....

:(

20200630_222136.jpg

Bernster

Visit site
Urgh hope he recovers quickly. Never dealt with it before but mine had a bout of it in Jan and it took quite a few weeks to clear up. And apparently they tend to be prone to it afterwards so now I’m a bit paranoid about it. He also cut himself last week but thankfully smaller than yours and seems to be healing fine. I blitzed it with the hose, hibiscrub and wound spray!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Thank you. So annoying but glad I called the vet if im honest.

Going up in a minute to make sure he has eaten his breakfast (with meds) and check it over....

Poor little sausage ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Cuts like that can be deceptively deep. Very easy for infection to get in too. Good that you called the vet.

Hope he is better soon, although cellulitis can take an age to resolve, and yes, it makes them more likely to get it in the future IME.

Happily, I have found that when it is high up like that, the outlook is brighter for both clearing and also for it not recurring too much.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I didnt think it looked as puffy around the whole area this morning, more localised to the cut.

He hadnt eaten all his breakfast so added some mints and that helped. Will be getting some apple juice for his dinner.

Just feeling pretty low if im honest ?

Screenshot_20200701-075913_Gallery.jpg

Brownmare

Visit site
I had cellulitis myself a couple of years ago (from orf - bonus points if you know what that is ?) and felt really ill with it. I was given 2 types of antibiotics to clear it and it took a couple of days to feel better so don't worry I'm sure he will feel better soon OP. It looks a nasty cut though, do you have any idea how he did it?

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I had cellulitis myself a couple of years ago (from orf - bonus points if you know what that is ?) and felt really ill with it. I was given 2 types of antibiotics to clear it and it took a couple of days to feel better so don't worry I'm sure he will feel better soon OP. It looks a nasty cut though, do you have any idea how he did it?

I'm not sure if I'm honest. he is out with a friend but because its on the inside of his leg I wasn't sure if he either caught himself or caught it on something (there are XC jumps in the field or possibly fencing).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
aww hope he's feeling better soon. one of mine got it from a small kick wound a few years ago and she was pretty miserable with it for a few days. I have also had it (twice, in my face!) and can confirm it's bloody horrible. Both of us needed 2 lots of ABs to get on top of it. Just give him a bit of tlc and he'll probably be fine soon with the meds getting into his system.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Thank you. I hope he does too. He is going out at lunchtime so he isn't in for too long today, and I will go up after work and check him again and possibly walk him around a bit if it looks quite puffy, and hopefully trick him into eating his whole dinner, not just half!

holeymoley

Visit site
Hopefully it clears up soon, if the anti biotics do the job you should see a difference in 1-2 days. My horse has had it and I've had it too. You do feel a little bit under the weather initially.

Kat

Visit site
My horse and my mum managed to get it at the same time the other year!

My horse had no evidence of any injury just a big hot leg. She was about 2/10 lame. The vet gave antibiotics, but after the full course the leg was still swollen (although smaller). She was pretty much sound (had a couple of off steps which could have been where the farrier had dug for an abscess to see if that was the cause). At that point the vet spotted a tiny scab likely from a fly bite that we think may have caused the cellulitis. Another course of antibiotics was given to be sure the infection was gone. She had a bit of a lump for over a month but it went eventually.

Walking and turn out helped a lot. I was advised to box rest at first in case there was something underlying but turnout helped the swelling.

My Mum said it was incredibly painful. She spent time in hospital on several antibiotics and needed surgery. Her recovery was much more lengthy than the horse's!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Little update:

This is his leg this evening. Still sound on it and puffiness seems to be localised to cut still which is good.

He came in for his meds and dinner (smothered in apple juice) and was happy to do that. Then back out with his friend.

Screenshot_20200701-194625_Gallery.jpg

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think that looks a lot more healthy.

I am not a fan of letting cuts like that scab over, I would rather clean daily with either VERY dilute pevadine (I am talking so dilute you can't see the yellow as pevadine also damages healthy tissue as well as bugs) or cooled, boiled salt water.

If it were mine, I would be clearing all the gunk away twice a day to make sure the wound heals from the inside out, rather than healing on the outside and leaving gunk inside that will then rumble on forever.

I am sure others will disagree, but with deep cuts I get a clean syringe and sluice the cut copiously. Yours doesn't look as deep as that though.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Thank you. That's what I thought but I didn't want to anger it. I've emailed my vet to see what they recommend.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It looked last nigh that it had pus that needed to come out, it will be better if it drains a bit like that while it is healing.

oldie48

Visit site
Horrible horrible condition! Fortunately your looks well on the mend already. My elderly cushings horse came in lame one evening, no sign of any cuts or damage to him so my first thought was hoof so farrier said he'd come out first thing. By morning his leg was swollen, hot and leaky and he was in so much pain. Vet came out immediately but he'd gone down in the stable and it took three of us to get him up and out into the field. TBH I was for PTS as he was in so much pain but vet said to give him 24 hours before I made the decision. He had a massive dose of antibiotics, painkillers and I walked him every hour (even through the night). Poor boy was hugely improved by the next morning but was on high doses of antibiotics and pain relief for the next two weeks. We never discovered where the original infection had entered him but vet said something as small as a slight scratch can be enough especially for a cushings horse. The key to his recovery was keeping him moving which of course he wasn't keen on! Good luck I hope yours continues to make a good recovery.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My boy is prone to cellulitis/lymphangitis (same thing in essence) after mud fever was let get out of hand by a previous owner. I would always call the vet if you are suspicious as it can look puffy one day, and be a tree trunk leg that is oozing serum the next, and that is when you're in trouble; thankfully I have never let it get that far. I now have a prescription for antibiotics so if he cuts himself and it looks that way I don't have to pay out for several visits etc.

I'm glad your boy is much better now, but for the benefit of any reader who searches this thread in future, the best thing I have found to do with cellulitis/lymphangitis is to walk the leg/legs down several times a day if you can - a fast walk, if not lunge at a jog for a good 20 - 30 mins, do not cold hose nor bandage but massage the legs to help them drain. I would also take their temperature religiously as this will give you a sign that infection is setting in or worsening before you can otherwise tell. If the legs are not walking down, or their temp is up then call the vet again. I would also try not to stable for any period of time above an hour for at least a couple of weeks if not more following the bout. I am also supplementing my boy with Cleavers as this is supposed to be a diuretic, and support the lymphatic system. :)

oldie48

Visit site
My boy is prone to cellulitis/lymphangitis (same thing in essence) after mud fever was let get out of hand by a previous owner. I would always call the vet if you are suspicious as it can look puffy one day, and be a tree trunk leg that is oozing serum the next, and that is when you're in trouble; thankfully I have never let it get that far. I now have a prescription for antibiotics so if he cuts himself and it looks that way I don't have to pay out for several visits etc.

I'm glad your boy is much better now, but for the benefit of any reader who searches this thread in future, the best thing I have found to do with cellulitis/lymphangitis is to walk the leg/legs down several times a day if you can - a fast walk, if not lunge at a jog for a good 20 - 30 mins, do not cold hose nor bandage but massage the legs to help them drain. I would also take their temperature religiously as this will give you a sign that infection is setting in or worsening before you can otherwise tell. If the legs are not walking down, or their temp is up then call the vet again. I would also try not to stable for any period of time above an hour for at least a couple of weeks if not more following the bout. I am also supplementing my boy with Cleavers as this is supposed to be a diuretic, and support the lymphatic system. :)
Good advice, fortunately we never had another bout but vet did warm me that it was a possibility.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I'm still waiting for vet to call back.

Deffo good advice there ASBMO. He is in a for a couple of hours during the day, but is definitely out as much as possible. He seemed a bit perkier in himself this morning as well which was nice, could just have been he was pleased to see me in the morning for a change!

Kat

Visit site

Interesting.

Increasing movement really helped my mare, but I was told to box rest. I would probably proceed differently if faced with another bout.

Why do you suggest not cold hosing?

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Vet has come back and agreed with cleaning it, so will deffo be doing that tonight (and twice a day). She said it looks better and to carry on with meds, and reassess Monday as long as nothing causes alarm.

At least its going the right way :)

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Mine had cellulitis Nov last year. The tiniest little rub became a large wound across his pastern despite catching it early.

It took quite a range of ABs before we got one that got it under control. We had swelling for a while after and it was the hilton herbs recommended on here which eventually dealt with it.

He wasn't in any pain and although the vet gave us bute just in case, he never looked lame, stiff or uncomfortable.

Initially advice was to clean it twice a day, then we started applying a cream to help break down the scabs, but then when it started to look more like dermatitis, we were told by the vet to stop cleaning.

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...-boots-for-a-filled-leg.782229/#post-14149532

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Day 4 on antibiotics and bute and twice daily cleaning with saline.

Still sound so thats good but obviously its still pretty sore looking

Screenshot_20200704-202316_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200704-202239_Gallery.jpg

Dyllymoo

Visit site
This was from this morning. It is looking better but still not as "healed" as I would hope.

What are your thoughts?

Screenshot_20200708-221236_Gallery.jpg