cuts how to do deal with

_Libby_

Visit site
My mare recently cut her back leg on the outside just below her hock, it wasnt deep and a scab formed over it, the scab seemed really quite big compared to size of the cut. I thought maybe mud was getting stuck on it in the field but it was cleaned twice daily and it seemed to be just a large clot/ scab over it- this cut has now healed however now that the scab has gone there is a lump about 2cm (hard) on her leg- almost like a splint type lump?

Now she has cut the same leg again on the inside this time and the same large scab seems to have formed, I've been washing and putting intrasite on , however i am worried she might get another lump. The cut is pretty superficial , not deep or raw, should i just leave this big scab alone ??

RachelB

Visit site
It could be proud flesh. I'd talk to your vet if I were you and see what they suggest (probably no need for them to come out to see it, try ringing for a chat over the phone and see what they think).

brightmount

Visit site
My horse had a flesh wound from kicking herself in her stable, and it took an age to heal. It got infected quite deep despite the vet coming the same day and giving anti-b's. We were poulticing in the end to draw out the deep infection. She was x-rayed before turning out to check there was no hairline fracture, and there wasn't, but it has left a bony lump on her cannon bone. The lump has caused no problems and isn't in the way of any tendons, but very annoying as it has taken probably £1000 off her value and we have to sell her this year
frown.gif

I don't know if this is similar to your situation.

debradley

Visit site
My mare has had serious injuries - as they have healed where the two sides of the skin have fused together they have formed a hard ridge of skin as scar tissue; but you may also have a bit of proud flesh under there which would need removing, best to get your bet to check it out.