cuts on leg- from messing or jumping?

sherwood'

Visit site
had a poke round my horse last nite and found two slices on both back legs- jsut under the hocks on the inside?? It looks like he has doen it to himself either in the field or else when jumping - can you get boots ofr this area? its very high up and my normal working boots wudnt come up this high? help- he keeps doing it!

faerie666

Visit site
They sound like speedy cuts to me, and yes, horses do them to themselves whilst jumping or galloping. Lots of racehorses get them, and we use these NEW competition boots http://www.newequinewear.co.uk/index.htm?ac=ZITUU-W
They also do them in leather, but they didn't have a picture of the hind ones.
The hind ones are higher cut on the inside to stop speedy cuts, and they protect the front of the fetlock as well.
The other option you have is to get 3/4shoes put on his back feet, although that may not actually stop him doing it.
Hope that helps.
Cheers!

mlm

Visit site
we had a pony that used to do that. hers was always very high up the leg much to high for a boot. we had awful problems when the summer came and we needed to put studs in for jumping. even if we only put them in the outside she still used to cut herself