Cutting down on numbers is SO HARD

Patterdale

Visit site
After last winter with ten horses, I decided I absolutely must cut down.
2 have gone and I have bought one more, so net total now 9. Decided I really REALLY need to cut down so advertised 2 more.

HOWEVER, after getting lots of videos and pictures and having offers from good homes, I’ve decided they’re just too nice and I can’t go through with it so I’ve made the big decision to be poor and have no time, but still have all the horses.

This is ok yes!? I’ve got enough haylage for winter and only 2 are shod.
Or am I now a crazy horse lady!? Seriously doubting my sanity!! But YOLO surely??

Anyone else just unable to sell??

Asha

Visit site
I totally get where you are coming from. We have 7 now, i keep looking and thinking someone has to go. But find reasons for them all to stay. So i will join you in the crazy horse lady group. I dont think we should limit numbers to the group as i have a feeling theres a lot of us about.

Reactions: tda

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
you are a crazy horse lady :p

I actually got a pat on the back from OH for selling one and getting down to 6. However one has a bun in the oven so it's only temporary. i can't go higher than 7 as i'm out of space. I am very much hoping my 2yo continues to grow as otherwise i can't really justify keeping her :oops: but after the last one i can't face selling a horse ever again!

lme

Visit site
Not crazy at all. We are up to 6, possibly 7 by next year, and don't have our own land.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I just can’t imagine having more than 2. Occasionally 3 but I want them to compete and do lots. I don’t want to look at them in a field. I am really good at selling, as all the ones I have sold have wonderful homes and the life they deserve. Great believer in future proofing horses for life and if they don’t work for me they will suit hundreds of other people.

dorsetladette

Visit site
And here’s me struggling with 3! I’m in awe if you all. But doubt I could let any go either. Keep them all!!

I also have 3. It would be so easy to collect a few more, but the cost of keeping them could spiral so easily.
I got the pity purchase as we felt sorry for him thinking we could give him the summer and then find him a good home, but I can't see him going anywhere now.

Squeak

Visit site
Great believer in future proofing horses for life and if they don’t work for me they will suit hundreds of other people.

So few people promote this - I've seen loads of people (myself included) struggle on with a horse that just doesn't suit them or what they want to do. People never say to you to sell just to keep on training and that you mustn't give up.

However all are happier when the horse goes to a home that works for it. It's a shame that so many people see that as failing rather than a success.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i wouldn't have more than 2 to ride. I had 3 to ride for a while and fitting that in around a full time job was too much to comfortably stay on top of. i had an arena at home then so technically the best it would ever be in terms of time management.. now i only have facilities for the 2 at livery so it's more time consuming to get there and ride etc.

I don't mind my gang of hangers on though, fortunately they cost pennies as very minimal needs and I'm delighted to be able to give the old/broken ones a pleasant retirement for as long as they are comfortable.... and wait for the young one(s) to grow up :)

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I ended up with 3 last year. Bought a smaller pony to replace my 14.2 as Im not getting any younger and thought a 13.2 would be a handier size. Brilliant idea but when it came to it I couldnt part with the 14.2, hes done nothing wrong and is my perfect pony, save being just a bit too big now. I also have a 13 hd pony who is my grand daughters, although she has lost her riding mojo she enjoys faffing about with him when she visits and he really is a perfect little childs pony and such a sweetie to look after. He costs me very little except my time and hes no youngster so Im happy to let him live out his days with me. I should cut down to two, but it really is worse than choosing between your children so I just mutter under my breath when pushing yet another barrow of poo back to the yard, look back at them all happily grazing and rue my own stupidity :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have 2 and have done for about 7 years I had 3 before that for a few years, I could easily get another as both of mine are are late teens still ridden but it would be nice to have a younger one on the back burner to ride.

I struggle in winter I sometimes really don't enjoy it so have refrained for now because I think I would regret it the extra work and money is what I really think about and I then think nah ?

Btomkins

Visit site
I’ve somehow ended up with 4, 3 of which are technically ‘projects to sell’, which I really should do before winter, but I just can’t bring myself to do that at present.

Ben will never go anywhere.

Big boy Zach is fab and is off being backed so that takes some pressure off, plus now I’ve ridden him a handful of times I’m tempted to keep him.

Sherbert is turning into a beautiful young lady and every time I see her I’m so glad she’s mine.

And little Ernie is just so cute and funny and no trouble at all.

Help! ?

rowan666

Visit site
I know the feeling all too well, I cut down to 1 then needed a companion so brought the easy one back off loan to keep her company. Had one too many gins at the yard and bought a yearling (he was a bargain and my dream horse) then my pony got sent back from loan a week later (after they paid a deposit to buy her!) So now I have 4! I don't need the pony, my daughter isn't interested, I have advertised her as lwvtb but I feel like nobody seems to be in the market for lead rein ponies right now already being half way through the show season. I honestly feel like crying ?

SEL

Visit site
I've got 4. Would be a miracle if the old lad went through next winter and I always said 3 was the right number - but I just keep thinking 4 as a herd works really well ?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I have reduced numbers since last September, but not always through choice! Lost 2 for medical reasons and sold 2. I do appreciate having less to poo pick!! I do miss them though.

millikins

Visit site
I'm another much better at buying than selling. Daughter and I were down to 3 eighteen months ago after losing my driving pony. But the Dales mare was pregnant, replacing the driving pony resulted in 2 Shetlands rather than 1 then a roan connie mare came up as a bargain locally so bought her. All a bit much especially as daughter had a baby last Sept so the connie's on a breeding loan and one of the Shetlands will probably go on the same deal as she isn't going to make a driving pony. The Dales foal will stay until he's backed and then decide.

honetpot

Visit site
I have seven, two out on loan, one may come back in September, the rest are in god's waiting room really apart from the foal I bought last autumn. Being off my feet for several months concentrated the get out plan, I sold my three year old, hence the foal, you need something to be interested in. I think if you can afford it and enjoy it why not, but you need an exit plan.
Fortunately as I look at it, apart from the now yearling, they all have little value and live on fresh air.

catembi

Visit site
I was up to 7, and just as I bought no 7, one came back from loan with virtually zero notice. I had a crackdown & sold 3 x PSSMers as companions to homes where they are adored. I also sold the Shetland to a home for life which lasted 3 months before they wanted me to buy her back (nothing she'd done) so I'm back up to 4. I have my big TB who is in work when he's not been kicked, hasn't got cellulitis & no other drama is going on, a retired ex-racer who's 18, a Dartmoor companion & the Shetland. They really do make a nice herd, pal up together in different ways & I like having them. However, I was briefly down to TWO at one stage this year...Shetland sold, Trev on loan & not yet returned, & OMG it was wonderful! Two are sooooooo easy to do! But I couldn't bear to sell or part with anyone at the moment. I have a soft spot for all of them.

maya2008

Visit site
9 here… one due to be pts due to age/illness so that will be 8. I did try to reduce further - one was loaned out but came home with laminitis; one was up for sale (but my daughter was very upset so my ad was half hearted). Should really advertise that one again, properly this time…

meleeka

Visit site
I also have 3. It would be so easy to collect a few more, but the cost of keeping them could spiral so easily.
I got the pity purchase as we felt sorry for him thinking we could give him the summer and then find him a good home, but I can't see him going anywhere now.
Ahh the pity purchase ?. 3 of my 4 are only here because I felt sorry for them. The Welsh was easy because it wasn’t going to be a long term commitment. She was ancient (we assumed 30+ but no passport) so didn’t have long, or so I assumed. 4 years later and she’s the healthiest in my field and is still galloping round when the mood takes her.

The Shetland doesn’t really count, but was also a pity purchase and so was the 16hh twenty something mare ?

willowblack

Visit site
Oooo I can join in with this one ? I’m so soft I’ve got 2 connies out on loan because I couldn’t face selling them ? luckily, they are both in a amazing homes!

I then also have 3 on livery, 1 is on box rest week 6 of 12 ? and one retired so at the moment my daughter and I are sharing one ?

my husband thinks it’s hilarious that I actually own 5 horses yet daughter and I can’t actually ride at the same time at the moment.

maya2008

Visit site
Oooo I can join in with this one ? I’m so soft I’ve got 2 connies out on loan because I couldn’t face selling them ? luckily, they are both in a amazing homes!

I then also have 3 on livery, 1 is on box rest week 6 of 12 ? and one retired so at the moment my daughter and I are sharing one ?

my husband thinks it’s hilarious that I actually own 5 horses yet daughter and I can’t actually ride at the same time at the moment.

That happened to me one winter - 2 on box rest, one retired, one too young to be ridden and one Shetland. Only the Shetland was rideable, so only my kids could ride ?!