Cycling

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Anyone on here cycle?

I have been getting into it with OH and was wondering which bike is best for smoothness. Currently got a Carerra bought last year, find it one of the toughest bikes to ride, the cheaper bike I had before was easier.
Also the frame size, As I am only 5’2 recommended a size small frame! i have the seat really high and had to put a stem riser on it to even feel semi comfortable! I still dont like it! ?

anyone any ideas ?

Barton Bounty

Visit site

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If you're only doing road get a road bike.
I wasn't convinced/used a hybrid/flat bar road for a few years. Now love my genesis roadie which wasn't an expensive one :p but it does take a bit too keep it tuned up to ultimate rolling.

I'm 5'5 my bike is an XS the saddle is high but I also had a shorter stem put on to reduce the reach. A good bike fit if you're doing the miles is definitely worth it. - I did a couple of years with a mediocre fit then spent more money on one last year (I figured having started to do 100 milers I didn't want to be upsetting any bits of my body too much) which is definitely better. If I were buying new I'd go get a fit first to inform what I bought (easy to switch components out then too)- probably with one of the ones that also do saddle pressure points as that's the one bit that isn't 100% still for me.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Look on eBay market place.
Like ester says once you've riden a road bike there's no going back.
I've just got my forever one off market place.its a Merida with electronic gear change..
The technology behind them these days is fantastic and there are so many covid bikes up for sale!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Look on eBay market place.
Like ester says once you've riden a road bike there's no going back.
I've just got my forever one off market place.its a Merida with electronic gear change..
The technology behind them these days is fantastic and there are so many covid bikes up for sale!
Yeah , i found a road one in the next town to me from GumtreeUK, should be small enough and only been ridden 6 times, i might go and have a try and see if I like it ?

Cloball

Visit site
Anyone on here cycle?

I have been getting into it with OH and was wondering which bike is best for smoothness. Currently got a Carerra bought last year, find it one of the toughest bikes to ride, the cheaper bike I had before was easier.
Also the frame size, As I am only 5’2 recommended a size small frame! i have the seat really high and had to put a stem riser on it to even feel semi comfortable! I still dont like it! ?

anyone any ideas ?
I'm 5'6 and ride a small are you sure it's not a childs? maybe I have very short legs. Also I now ride an e bike and do way more than I had in recent years on my normal bike. I have a roadie with gravel tyres because I'm a wuss.
I don't know any bike shops in Ayr but there should be some good ones in Glasgow that will set you up properly it does make a difference.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
I'm 5'6 and ride a small are you sure it's not a childs? maybe I have very short legs. Also I now ride an e bike and do way more than I had in recent years on my normal bike. I have a roadie with gravel tyres because I'm a wuss.
I don't know any bike shops in Ayr but there should be some good ones in Glasgow that will set you up properly it does make a difference.
Yeah its a ladies small, I just dont feel comfortable on it at all, my bike before that had thinner tyres and no suspension on the front. So far I have had to put a stem riser on it and raise the seat a lot. I only have 26/27inch legs but it just doesnt feel good ?

ester

Visit site
If you’ve got suspension with a lock out it’s a heavy bike

if you have suspension and no lock out it’s bloody hard work, a lot of your input energy just dissipates.

And that’s before we start on tyres ?

angel7

Visit site
Honestly dont dismiss electric, they are such fun and make the miles melt away. Ayrshire is hilly!
Consider a stepthough with upright seat position and dutch handlebars for pure comfort. Bosch centre drive is the biz, Nex seatpost and intermediate tyres.

https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk...be-touring-hybrid-one-400-bike-in-blue__10360

You can pick up second hand cheaper but go to a bike shop and try several before you buy.
I bought 2 wrong bikes before I found my silent beautiful SCOTT e subcomfort BABY. I love her.
And I can do anything on it, roads, hills, MBTs, 50 miles real range. Before I struggled to do 3 miles! Its as hard as finding a horse.

ester

Visit site
Well I had 3 bike people telling me to buy a roadie and I didn’t (they were right)
Then 1 of them told me to get the slightly more expensive (in hindsight bargain) carbon roadie and I didn’t because I was still sceptical as to whether I’d like it
She was right too ?.
I’ve vowed to listen to people more ??

luckyoldme

Visit site
Well I had 3 bike people telling me to buy a roadie and I didn’t (they were right)
Then 1 of them told me to get the slightly more expensive (in hindsight bargain) carbon roadie and I didn’t because I was still sceptical as to whether I’d like it
She was right too ?.
I’ve vowed to listen to people more ??
I was the same.
I've got a carbon full suss mountain bike and a carbon road bike. Getting on a good road bike is like getting on an ebike. They fly,!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
I was the same.
I've got a carbon full suss mountain bike and a carbon road bike. Getting on a good road bike is like getting on an ebike. They fly,!
Yeah it seemed a bit more seemless tonight even if it did hurt. Seat up and ill be flying ??? its just a little dawes one but light and perfect

Attachments

• 3001655C-5623-48FE-B934-43B6160597CD.jpeg
    3001655C-5623-48FE-B934-43B6160597CD.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 14

ester

Visit site
I was the same.

my mechanic is ace given what he’s got to play with, he’s like look your wheels keep spinning longer than the ones on that 7k bike over there ?. Mines def one of the cheaper ones he does ?

Ratface

Visit site
Back in the 70's and 80's, I had a hand-made, made to measure, light as a feather Condor fixed-wheel drop bars racing bike. I used to commute to the London School of Economics from the Isle of Dogs on an almost daily basis, mixing it with heavy traffic on large roundabouts.
I did the London to Brighton road ride several times and frequently did London to Surrey, visiting friends.
I liked the fixed wheel set up because there was more direct power to the drive chain and thus more control on the lines ridden.
I later bought a Roberts geared bike, again made to measure, but didn't really enjoy it, so gave it to a friend, who still uses it.
I find the cycling packs around our country lane are mostly civil, and I always thank them profusely for their courtesy.
I stopped riding bicycles and went onto motorcycles when car drivers seemed to become less aware of cyclists' vulnerability.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Back in the 70's and 80's, I had a hand-made, made to measure, light as a feather Condor fixed-wheel drop bars racing bike. I used to commute to the London School of Economics from the Isle of Dogs on an almost daily basis, mixing it with heavy traffic on large roundabouts.
I did the London to Brighton road ride several times and frequently did London to Surrey, visiting friends.
I liked the fixed wheel set up because there was more direct power to the drive chain and thus more control on the lines ridden.
I later bought a Roberts geared bike, again made to measure, but didn't really enjoy it, so gave it to a friend, who still uses it.
I find the cycling packs around our country lane are mostly civil, and I always thank them profusely for their courtesy.
I stopped riding bicycles and went onto motorcycles when car drivers seemed to become less aware of cyclists' vulnerability.
Its quite hard to ride with drop bars if you never have? i nearly face planted my neighbours fence at first, just hands in a different position, different gears and the brakes ?? apart from that it was easier to ride

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm going to hijack this thread, slightly!

I posted in the 'Safe place' that our bikes had been stolen from our shed. Blah. Both mountain bikes, relatively cheap ones. Mine was a Decathlon bike, and OH's was Carrera. Insurance company has offered us £600 each to replace them if we buy from this site: https://www.wheelies.co.uk/. Alternatively, they will give us £300 in cold hard cash. We are going with the former, but buying bikes sight unseen online isn't ideal. Trying to narrow down choices and then see some in person in Glasgow, which is sort of a d*ck move to a shop, but it's just an impossible situation.

Can anyone help narrow it down? I am after a mountain bike, up to circa £750. It will do some commuting around town but mostly riding on off-road trails. The technology has changed so much since I lost bought a bike - I don't know if I want one cassette up front or two, or much else about modern bikes. I was about to change the shocks, brakes, and derailer on my Decathlon bike because they all sucked. I'm glad I hadn't got around to that yet, but a bike with half-decent components would be nice.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
I'm going to hijack this thread, slightly!

I posted in the 'Safe place' that our bikes had been stolen from our shed. Blah. Both mountain bikes, relatively cheap ones. Mine was a Decathlon bike, and OH's was Carrera. Insurance company has offered us £600 each to replace them if we buy from this site: https://www.wheelies.co.uk/. Alternatively, they will give us £300 in cold hard cash. We are going with the former, but buying bikes sight unseen online isn't ideal. Trying to narrow down choices and then see some in person in Glasgow, which is sort of a d*ck move to a shop, but it's just an impossible situation.

Can anyone help narrow it down? I am after a mountain bike, up to circa £750. It will do some commuting around town but mostly riding on off-road trails. The technology has changed so much since I lost bought a bike - I don't know if I want one cassette up front or two, or much else about modern bikes. I was about to change the shocks, brakes, and derailer on my Decathlon bike because they all sucked. I'm glad I hadn't got around to that yet, but a bike with half-decent components would be nice.
What about gumtree? i have seen a few on there lately! Thats where I got my new one last night and it turned out only ridden twice ?

Firstly what size of frame? ?