Cyclists on bridleways - do you come across them?

tatty_v

Visit site
For the first time ever I encountered a peleton of cyclists on one of our local bridleways today. They were very polite and somehow we managed to let them squeeze past, but I was a bit unnerved. It’s a narrow bridleway along the side of a field, blackthorn hedge on one side and sheep wire on the other, heavily rutted due to the wet winter.

Luckily my horse is very sensible so there were no issues and the cyclists were very polite. I’m generally a live and let live person and I know legally cyclists can ride on bridleways, but I did have a moment of exasperation (wedged up against the wire whilst they bounced past). Given that our local roads are already cycling nirvana and no hack passes without encountering several groups, it would be nice if the bridleways gave us some respite! I was wondering whether this is more common in other areas? It’s certainly the first time it’s happened to me here.

tatty_v

Visit site
So what would have happened if you’d met a horse on that narrow, barbed wire fenced bridleway? It probably would have been even more of a squeeze.

I’ve never really had a problem passing horses on that path, we rarely come across them and if we do we tend to know the riders and we’ll stop at a slightly wider section to pass.

This genuinely wasn’t intended to be a cyclist-bashing thread. The cyclists round here are very considerate, it was just the first time I’d had met a full Lycra-clad contingent on what is usually a quiet path!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
We have regular big groups using the local bridleway. Due to antisocial interactions during lockdown 1, signs were erected by local council at each end to indicate who had priority usage and all users were to be polite to others, dogs must be on leads.
On the whole this has worked, but there are still some off roader cyclists who try to shove past horses.
It's a very well used bridleway, you'll never get out of a walk on it unless you ride overnight I guess.

Griffin

Visit site
Cyclists can use bridleways but under Section 30 of the Countryside Act 1968, they are supposed to give way to horses and riders or walkers.

Bridleways should be 3m wide if they are field edge and 2m if they are elsewhere, I think.

If the bridleway is too narrow or difficult to ride on, I would report it to your local highways authority to investigate.

Kat

Visit site
Personally I am more surprised if I ride on a bridleway and don't meet a cyclist. We don't have many, and the closest decent one is part of the penine bridleway and national cycle trail.

Meeting cyclists is no concern though. My horse is great with bikes, and I often hack out with my husband on his bike.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I am the cyclist on the bridleway, I've never actually met a horse not sure where they all are. Though there are bits I discover that I'd rather be on a horse. particularly once the whole thing has been ploughed and it's clay that sticks to everything so your wheels stop going round :p

our entire 'guided busway' that has a tarmac path next to it is classed as bridleway and busy with all users and we have a lot of other multi-user paths.
So long as everyone is polite it doesn't cause any issues - and the others I ride with are actually way more cautious of horses than I ever am - and that is my usual experience round here, on-horse generally spend quite a lot of time telling people they're fine, please don't loose your momentum or stop and unclip on our account :D.

If I am on a bridleway on a horse I'm happy to let them pass me even though they should technically give way as it's usually the quickest way for us to pass each other.

Reactions: Kat

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We meet lots of off road cyclists on our bridle ways. 99% are lovely and often I actually hope one will turn up to open a gate as they’re pretty awful around here and some are impossible to open without getting off. Had one offer to take photos of my sister and i yesterday when I was taking photos of the view.

Some do ride too fast around blind bends and I had one spook my horse who span around. I didn’t fall off but the cyclist swerved into a hedge and fell off. Once or twice I’ve had one ride deliberately at us or way too fast. You get idiots and worse in any group.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Mountain bikers and roadies tend to be the speed freaks who may not give way. They seem to be miserable beggars, too. Too busy trying to beat Strava to enjoy their surroundings.

Touring cyclists are, on the whole, a decent bunch.

*This may be a slight exaggeration* I'm sure there must be the occasional miserable touring cyclist, too :D.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
We encounter lots of cyclists on our bridleways and they and we are generally very cheery and careful of each other. The only problem I encounter is when they are gunning along with their heads down looking at the track in front of them. I’ve had a few near collisions and only my scream has alerted them and they do a very skiddy wobbly halt. I don’t know who would come off worst in a collision ☹️
Our bridleways are definitely not 3m wide. They are bordered by bushes and scrub and are 1 or 2 m wide.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Mountain bikers and roadies tend to be the speed freaks who may not give way. They seem to be miserable beggars, too. Too busy trying to beat Strava to enjoy their surroundings.

Touring cyclists are, on the whole, a decent bunch.

*This may be a slight exaggeration* I'm sure there must be the occasional miserable touring cyclist, too :D.
Lol are you trying to win a generalisation competition ?
I'm my own experience ..ex horse rider . MTB rider . Roadie and runner and trucker knobs are knobs whatever their mode of transport or hobby.

gunnergundog

Visit site
My own personal gripes:

1) If I say 'hello' and ask you to speak if you are not forthcoming with conversation as you speed past - probably due to the imminent heart attack as you go up the hill - it is not because I am some weirdo, but because the horse is more likely to identify you as human and therefore relax and behave. Any inane comment is welcome - well, almost any! :)

2) If I ask you to slow down - either verbally or by using the time honoured signal - then.....if you are coming up the GRAVEL drive to the estate where I keep my horses......PLEASE do NOT comply by doing a rear wheel skid (or whatever it is called) up the arse of whichever ned I am riding. It may cause you a degree of amusement as said animal turns into Red Rum and auditions for a part in the Calgary Stampede as aforementioned gravel peppers him up the arse. However, I can assure you....I WILL come back and haunt you - whoever you are AND you WILL regret it! :(

Last edited:

Velcrobum

Visit site
My nearest green lane bridlepath was tarmaced over some years ago by Sustrans as part of a cycle network. What incited fury were the signs that then appeared ( put up by Sustrans ) telling the horse riders it was a bike path and we were to keep off it. The parish councils in whose wards the lane went were furious. Both councils had objected to it being covered with tarmac as it was a wildlife haven. There was an ongoing war between the users riders, dog walkers and Sustrans. Their signs would be removed, replaced, removed.................... until they gave up. Main users continue to be riders and walkers with or without a dog. There was a short period of time when it was being used by motorbikes but the police got involved and prosecuted them so they stopped.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
There are loads on the bridleways here some are really polite some are bloody rude and just whizz past, I have had quite a few run ins with them especially the ones that use the path along the menage, they just do not slow down and are totally unaware that horses can be scared of them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
velcrobum, they covered one here in SMA :rolleyes:, with no agreement of anyone else ('they' isn't sustrans in this instance, more building contractors currently building our 'new town').

Cyclists don't speak to each other here let alone horse riders, I think there's just too many that people go antisocial. When I go back to parents in somerset I have to remember everyone says hi again!

J&S

Visit site
My nearest green lane bridlepath was tarmaced over some years ago by Sustrans as part of a cycle network.
Sustrans are threatening to do the same with an ancient path through the Avon Valley in The South Hams, Devon, my nearest soft off road track. Their feasability study is a work of fiction. The path they want would be multi use and go through no less than 18 areas of privately owned land, where the railway ran but has been abandoned since the 1960's. The part of the Avon Valley near me is a bridle path, The Postmans Ride, and is a narrow path on a hill side with a steep drop to the river below. They are discussing 50,000 people using this as a tourism attraction, and to connect two local towns so local people can use it to go shopping/go to school etc ?????????

MuddyMonster

Visit site
We have loads ? But, we're on a very popular and busy bridlepath network that is renowned for it.The further afield you go, the fewer you see generally.

Unless you venture into the forests, then you get the mountain and BMX bikers but again they generally stick to their tracks and we stick to ours. They whizz by but pony is fine with them.

Most cyclists are fine I find but I did particularly enjoy being told during Lockdown that '(insert rude word) horses again. They shouldn't even be on this (insert rude word) on our cyclepath' by one cyclist ... as I was right next to a bridleway sign and the Council locldown sign telling cyclists to give priority to horse riders and walkers ?

pansymouse

Visit site
My horse has a real problem with bikes coming up behind her especially when the rider doesn't shout out or ring their bell. If they do I thank them for their consideration, if they don't I ask them to start doing so and explain it is in a horse's nature to see something coming up on the fast and silently as a threat and many will have a stress/panic reaction.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Sustrans are threatening to do the same with an ancient path through the Avon Valley in The South Hams, Devon, my nearest soft off road track. Their feasability study is a work of fiction. The path they want would be multi use and go through no less than 18 areas of privately owned land, where the railway ran but has been abandoned since the 1960's. The part of the Avon Valley near me is a bridle path, The Postmans Ride, and is a narrow path on a hill side with a steep drop to the river below. They are discussing 50,000 people using this as a tourism attraction, and to connect two local towns so local people can use it to go shopping/go to school etc ?????????

Perhaps you would like to add something to the Wikipedia article about Sustrans.

AandK

Visit site
The bridleways near me all run off, or are near the South Downs Way, so there are plenty of cyclists about. You see less the further away from the SDW you go. I generally find them quite polite (tend to be mountain bikers due to the terrain) and good when they come past me on my horse. None of the paths that I use are that narrow that passing would be an issue.

jj_87

Visit site
i have found the majority of cyclists very pleasant. People on bikes who have no idea how to ride let alone be around others are totally different though, we have loads that have bought electric bikes so come at you at speed, when its suggested that they could slow down to pass you, they often suggest they aren't.

But the majority of cyclists are super where we are. And i always make sure to thank them, i ddo have two word champion cyclists in my family and bang on to them all the time how they pass "daft" horses.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
There is only one bridleway round me that I meet cyclists on (usually stopped for a picnic). None of the others would be pleasant cycling and are barely rideable ☹️, and yes they've been reported.