Cysts in horns

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
I knew the mare had one, but not which horn or the exact whereabouts, if i'd known before she was covered and could have had her scanned to map it - it would be easier. Now she may have a twinning, or one of the 'twins' may be this cyst. The plan is to rescan in a few days, if both pregnancies both will have grown, if one is the cyst - only one should have grown.....

Navalgem

Thats the only thing you can do at this point.Scan every few days so that you can see what is growing.I am surprised your vet didnt map it.Ours do this as routine as it simplifies everything when it comes to pregnancy scanning from 16 days onwards.Good luck with the pregnancy.

Unfortunately the mare is new and i wasnt aware of it until she'd been covered and her prev breeder told me about it otherwise I'd have had it mapped before. Will see what happens but hopefully can get it mapped and sorted for next time. He didn't find a cyst on the right horn so I am hopeful that this is a cyst and a single pregnancy. Fingers crossed. Thanks Ballyshan.

Navalgem

Keep us posted.What is the mare and what did you cover her to.You cant come on here and not discuss and show us pics you know!! :)

The new mares are: Ninette (Voltaire x Wienerwald x Abhang); Rea (Larome x Concorde x Zeoliet) and Mabel (A Jungle Prince (Argentinus) x (I can't remember :eek: ), Ninette and Mabel are branded hannovarian, Rea is KWPN, Mabel and Rea are graded into the Main Hann Studbook and Ninette is graded Main studbook with SHB(GB). Mabel is the one who's twinned. I'm shocking and have no pictures, if the rain ever stops I will gets some!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The simple answer as far as I know is no.Get your vet to map them out though so that if the mare is covered you can see a conceptus clearly if you know where the cysts are.

They don't usually go - but they can! I had a mare had a very bad foaling 4 years ago - she had a year off and then went in foal again and at that time she had NO cysts. Had an easy foaling, and when we scanned her to check for stage of cycle there was an absolute maze of cysts - my vet went cross-eyed trying to count them! She didn't get in foal that time and I thought that might be the end of her breeding career - but this year we scanned her and to my surprise and delight, the cysts had reduced to a small 'crop' (about 5) and we more 'organised'. She was covered, got in foal first time and has just had a positive 28 day scan.

You can usually tell the difference between a cyst and a 14-16 day vesicle - the shape is different. It's harder with a late ovulation and a 10-11 day vesicle - unless you have them mapped.