D&H competition mix and similar feeds...??

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Having some real trouble with Remy's lack of sparkle again this year and my latest feed I'm trying is D&H Comp Mix which he's currently transitioning to from staypower, so just wondering what others have thought of it? In the past I have tried all of the below in various quantities/combinations with pretty much no effect with one exception**...

Baileys Competition
Baileys Racehorse
Performance Balancer
Propell Plus
Stud Balancer
Baileys Conditioning Cubes
Alfa A Oil
D&H Staypower
A&P Power and PErformance** SENT HIM BONKERS!
Oats - have tried giving him lots of them and don't seem to make much diff!
Sugarbeet (speedi/shreds and fibre)
Various oils and supplements!

He's really pretty fit (I was impressed who quickly he recovered from his last novice XC!) though am planning to keep up with the fitness work to see if this will help with his lack of sparkle.

He's a 14yo Dutch WB. He just isn't showing much sparkle in his dressage, is trundling along, not really listening to the leg etc and often just stands there looking asleep (between phases or when I'm grooming him beforehand). Lights up a bit in SJ which normally he gets quite overexcited about but not much at moment!

All feedback and comments very welcome (I posted a similar thread in SY last week but didn't get much feedback).

Ali16

Visit site
Hiya, I had a similar problem with my eventer earlier on in the year. He was still performing OK, but just felt a bit flat.

He is a WBxTB (with a little bit of Welshie thrown in for good measure! :p) and also got massively high on the A&P P&P :eek:.

My OH's dressage horses are fed Saracen Speed mix so I put Morris on this - three feeds per day with 1/2 scoop in each, plus barley rings (he looses condition v fast) and he is looking and feeling amazing.

It is expensive though (we are lucky enough to get Saracen feeds at cost price) so not for everyone.

Good luck finding something for you beastie! :p

Firewell

Visit site
Saracen releve? Or Equijewel? Both good sources of energy. Releve is meant to be slow release energy but it rather perked my mums old boy up and we had to take him off it as he went from lazy to turbo! He was a TB though so it might suit your WB better :).

Rosiefan

Visit site
It's really hard for anyone to advise because all horses seem to be different. For example Baileys comp mix turned Frodo into a full blown fruit-loop. Rosie took him cubbing (or whatever it's called now) yesterday to see if that lights his fire.

wench

Visit site
How about Spillers Competition mixes - probably the instant response energy mix. This feed suited my laid back TB exceptionally well - he never looked as good as when he was on this.

Other thought would be Topspec balancer, and maybe some of their Turbo stuff?

Used D&H comp mix before, and didnt seem to do much good.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
How about Spillers Competition mixes - probably the instant response energy mix. This feed suited my laid back TB exceptionally well - he never looked as good as when he was on this.

Other thought would be Topspec balancer, and maybe some of their Turbo stuff?

Used D&H comp mix before, and didnt seem to do much good.

Thanks W - great ideas here which I will look into depending on how the D&H goes... like the sound of the spillers, not something we've tried before!

Kal

Visit site
I found Equijewel tends to put on extra weight but is good for top line.

I used to feed D&H Comp mix but when i moved, the nearest saddlers didn't stock it so i've put him on Allen & Page Light Comp mix along with his normal Alfa-A Oil.

He has had a very nice shine to his coat all summer and feels healthy too. I do give him almost a whole big scope twice a day. He was quite dead with just the one feed, but two feeds he comes back to his lively self.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Wench that looks like it was made for him!!!! Now I wish I hadn't switched to the D&H as may have to switch him again quite soon as this sounds spot on!!

Thanks Kal - problem with mine is he's "just right" and any more weight on him might just be too much!! However, will def bear in mind!

JT - again thanks, it could def be worth looking at if the others don't fix the problem!

wench

Visit site
If your on a mix already, it shouldnt take that much swapping over.

Henry was bone idle, oats or barley didnt heat him up, nor did propell etc (only thing that did was Redmills conditioning mix!)

He was definatly on his best when he was on this, even at comps. Conversly, though, it didn't suit my other horse, who needed the slow release energy stuff.

KatB

Visit site
Is he getting the full recommended amounts of feed? Sometimes starchier feed will make them sill or spooky, without increasing their energy as such. D+H Comp mix is oat based, and will be very high in starch... if he isn't getting the full amount of feed recommended, he could well be just lacking a bit, hence feeling a bit lacking in spark!

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Another one on saracen Relieve my mare is on way below the recomended amount but Ive never known her to be so lively when doing so much work, (she is on a balancer to provide the vits and mins she isnt getting from the feed- If I fed her the recomended amount I may be dead!!!)

Tempi

Visit site
They won't be starch free Tempi, that's just not possible for any feed ;)

They are very low in startch then, i had read that they were startch free, they are at least a totally natural product. Either way its a far better way to feed a horse than pumping full of mixes etc. But thats just my opinion.

Horsemad12

Visit site
Another vote for Topspec Turbo, I put my ISH mare on that a month ago and so far it has helped. If used with a balancer you can just top dress with it and then increase just before an event as needed.

ETA: She is a fatty and has not put weight on using it either which is a bonus, needless to say she would come off it if she had a holiday!

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Is he getting the full recommended amounts of feed? Sometimes starchier feed will make them sill or spooky, without increasing their energy as such. D+H Comp mix is oat based, and will be very high in starch... if he isn't getting the full amount of feed recommended, he could well be just lacking a bit, hence feeling a bit lacking in spark!

Until I switched to Comp Mix (about 2 days ago) he was getting 3 stubbs scoops of staypower muesli per day (plus some alfa A) so should have been getting enough. Obv now he is on comp mix (which I agree is v high in oats) this may change but shouldn't think it would have made any difference in that sense after 2 days.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
They are very low in startch then, i had read that they were startch free, they are at least a totally natural product. Either way its a far better way to feed a horse than pumping full of mixes etc. But thats just my opinion.

Hmmm we had to reduce his grazing this year as he was getting a serious grass belly earlier in the season despite being in med/hard work (still not enough energy at that stage though) so not sure if grass nuts of any sort would be the answer, but will certainly look at the nutrition etc and consider!