Daily mail comparing Zara and Phoebe at Badminton

emmiec12

Visit site
Read it earlier - v annoying and v pointless article! IMHO
tongue.gif

I'm not sure what it was trying achieve - both girls have worked hard and both girls are talented...

Bozzy

Visit site
There's also a thread in latest news. I'm sort of disagreeing with most comments, I feel it shows that any type of person can make it in the sport. Yes, some things stated in the article are rubbish (and I feel it leaves Zara looking as though money has got her where she is) but I think overall, it makes a good read to all.

Thistle

Visit site
Both girls work hard for their living.
Both have good supporters.
zara has been lucky enough to have both horsey parents and money, but Phoebes talent has been nurtured and channelled by her owners.

I love Little Tiger, she is tiny.

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
"The majority of riders attending this year's Badminton horse trials, which take place between May 7 to 10, come from well-off families who underwrite their careers"

I don't agree with this!

Why do the crappy gutter press try to make out you have to be a silver spoon mouthed toffee nose to ride/own a horse?...then they act shocked to see 'normal' people doing the same. Isn't it about time people got over their prejuduces towards horse owners/riders/eventers etc

Grrrrr it really gets ones goat!
smile.gif

Nando

Visit site
What a load of old tosh that article is!! Does no favours to anyone, but then again it was the daily Mail that made out the tax payers were funding Zara's 'new' lorry that she has had for over a year!!

Have to say I am slightly surprised by some of phoebe's comments, especially at being treated differently because of her roots - that said, we all know how these journo's twist stories so she probably said nothing of the sort!

shee

Visit site
i should think most of it probs did come from Phoebe, she isn't the most popular among the other riders but she never lets it get her down. though forstie will be travelling in owner PT lorry and its not old or battered

but i do agree not all riders are handed everythng on a silver platter!!

and frostie is sooooooo tiny and a complete machine xc
smile.gif

sare_bear

Visit site
A lot of the people who compete at Badders have to work long hours and be determined to get to where they are. Not sure those comments from Pheobe show her in a great light if they did come directly from her, rather than scewed by the DM, re been treated differently because of her up bringing. I dont know Pheobe, but would be surprised that she was looked down upon from other competitors and had no eventing friends. (which DM artcle makes it sound like).

Besides if I had all the money in the world like Zara I still would not be competent to tackle the likes of Badders!
tongue.gif

only_me

Visit site
I was actually kinda pleased that article was in paper - It means that the press and general public are paying more attention in general to eventing, which only has to be a good thing for the sport.

Plus it may also boost views for badminton coverage on tv, which may mean that next year there is even more badminton on tv
grin.gif

The actual article was complete and utter rubbish
tongue.gif
lol i though it was rather funny!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Agree that it's the usual DM uneducated crap.. but that said, there are still alot of facts in there!
No matter how you look at it, Zara has a VERY priviledged backround, and all that money does help!! Yes you need talent and dedication, but you also need guidance and that guidance costs money!