Dales - I know the pros, what are the cons?

metalmare

Visit site
I am really keen on a Dales pony when I next buy a horse (which won't be for at least three years, probably four or five).
I like them because I know there are lots of pros (versatile, relatively cheap to keep, lives out, good natured, etc). Are there any particular vices or weaknesses of this breed? I don't want a hard mouthed, thick skinned pony, nor one that takes off with me - something fast but controllable.

Starsy

Visit site
I've got a Dales, and he is very opinionated, and from what I gather from other owners, he's not the only one like that out there!!

I had one on loan that was angelic, but the present one is only angelic when he's getting his own way, you couldn't describe him as 'sweet'.

I don't know about the easy to keep thing either, as he really poughs up the field with his massive soup plates, can strip a field of grass in a stunningly short space of time, pushes through fencing knocks down walls etc etc. He is one of the greediest horses I have ever come across, and despite being fat seems to think he is half-starved.

Hope I don't upset those with Dales like my loan pony!!!! but you did ask for any cons!! Oh, and if you hold him back when he wants to take off he's happy to buck instead, he likes bucking and is very good at it, practises a lot whilst ploughing up the field, lol!!

Just make sure you get a sweet one!!

metalmare

Visit site
LOL - by easy to keep I mean lower cost as hopefully no shoes and less feed and rugs
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
I have a friend who had a lovely Dales pony who unfortunately had sweet-itch - although not a problem confined to the breed, still worth watching out for.

Starsy

Visit site
Paying for new fence posts to replace the itched and leant on ones, and buying miles of electric fence to keep the horror in aren't cheap, not to mention renting extra grazing after one's own field is trashed, ha ha. You DO save on rugs though, I'll give you that!! Saving on food is doubtful, as they can eat for England and hoover up the grass at an alarming rate so you end up buying more hay!

How about a nice Connemara or a New Forest? Still hardy, but without the hooligan element (though no doubt someone will soon be putting me right, lol!!)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As other posters have said they are lovely but they are very strong willed & you must not let them get away with anything. If you give them an inch they'll take a mile.

metalmare

Visit site
I wouldn't rule other ponies out - I did have a NF but a colt so obviously never ridden. I have a thing about the dales though. What are their paces like? I understand they have an excellent trot. I have ridden fell ponies but not dales.

Toadeyes

www.hamletshouse.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Good site!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you nopudding! Do check out the 'Native Pony People' interviews under the 'News' section. A very interesting read. (Views and anecdotes of judges/breeders etc)

Starsy

Visit site
Totally agree with you, and it can be wearing trying to keep on top of them, I'd never get another I'm sad to say, although he is lovely looking, and gets lots of admiration from people. They are very intelligent too, and easily bored.

If you want an easier (and less expensive) life, I'd look at the other natives, I've been and looked at toad eyes site which is really good and has lots of information on their different characters.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Lovely clydie you have on your website
grin.gif
grin.gif

You forgot to add, the breed is very partial to minty cubes and will stand on three legs for hours in front of kids looking appealing in order to obtain them.

Theresa_F

Visit site
If you fancy something with the good looks and similar build to a Dales but a less demanding character, then consider a gypsy cob.

You don't have to have a coloured one - the solid colours are a lot cheaper.

Excellent all rounders - jack of all trades and easy to keep.

The gypsy cob originates from a mixture of Dales, Fell, Shire and Clydesdale.

Not that I am biased.
smile.gif

peapod

Visit site
My family breeds Dales ponies - website is www.pennells.co.uk/nipna (although it needs updating very badly!)

What can I say really -- they are obvioulsy my favourite breed - absolutely super ponies who will do whatever you ask of them. Yes, they can be strong willed, but go with them and they will give you so much more back. Fantastic ponies, I think everyone should have one!

If there's anything you'd like to know please ask
grin.gif

Kermie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have ridden fell ponies but not dales.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go visiting a few studs and ride some Dales to help you make up your mind. You will either love them or not. I like them, but find at 5' 3" I am a little short to get my legs round their barrels so I have the slightly smaller Fells instead....although I still struggle to get my legs round them!

metalmare

Visit site
Thanks guys - loads of info there. I will defo ride a few before making any decisions (but as I say I have a few years to do that anyway). I've actually found a stud in derbyshire, which is where I live (although their address is withheld). Still good to know though. I'm not interested in showing so would happily consider a Dales cross. TBH this seems like a fairly short list of disadvantages to me. My NF colt was very intelligent and a bugger for trying to get his own way but I worked him out in the end. And my old standardbred lived out and ate enough for about 10 horses (but then I've never met a not hungry horse!)

peapod

Visit site
Which stud is it, out of interest? (PM me if you like!) And I've just realised I read the title of your post completely wrongly - I thought you wanted PROS, not Cons!!