Dales Pony Society Centenary Procession through Barnard Castle

HeresHoping

Visit site
Were there any HHOers on this fabulous string of ponies? It was wonderful. I was very choked - that sort of thing always makes my eyes leak. My son videoed them coming up the hill past the Barney Butter Cross before they headed over to Streatlam Park for their show.

If you click on the picture, you'll see all the ponies. For some reason I keep wanting to recite Kipling, but there were many more than five and twenty ponies, and they certainly weren't trotting through the dark. Maybe five and sixty ponies trotting to the park?

Last edited:
Visit site
It is an impressive sight indeed! 128 fell ponies gave the Queen a guard of honour at Windsor Castle for her 90th birthday the other week. They originally planned on having 90 ponies but loads more applied to join in. One even came over from Germany for it!

forever broke

Visit site
It is an impressive sight indeed! 128 fell ponies gave the Queen a guard of honour at Windsor Castle for her 90th birthday the other week. They originally planned on having 90 ponies but loads more applied to join in. One even came over from Germany for it!

I went to this as groom for my friend - it was fantastic!

MochaDun

Visit site
Yes I saw this on FB and thought it was wonderful :) We should really honour our breeds of native ponies more.

HBB

Visit site
I had friends taking part in both events, they said it was an amazing once in a lifetime experience that they will never forget.

fburton

Visit site

Custard Cream

Visit site
Barney is my local town. Meant to go to watch this but ended up in hospital having a baby!

Am quite proud of our part of the world.

little_critter

Visit site
Looking at this I'm more and more convinced my mare has a lot of Dales in her.
Her breeding is unknown (last owners best guess was Welsh x Fell) but I think she does a very good impression of a Dales...but may have a little of something else in there as she is a little lighter in bone.
She is even that very nearly black colour that I can see on lots of these in the video.
What a fab procession.

HeresHoping

Visit site

Rollin

Visit site
Barney is my local town. Meant to go to watch this but ended up in hospital having a baby!

Am quite proud of our part of the world.

You should have crossed your legs!!! I have really enjoyed the video footage on You Tube. Congratulations to riders and organisers.