Damaged calf muscle- and advice?

shadowboy

Visit site
I got trodden on today by my horse. My right calf is now double its usual size and I can't support and weight on it. No bruising is visible yet. I have been elevating it. Any other things I should do?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I got trodden on today by my horse. My right calf is now double its usual size and I can't support and weight on it. No bruising is visible yet. I have been elevating it. Any other things I should do?

Take a trip to A&E, you need to be careful of blood clots.

be positive

Visit site
R.I.C.E rest, ice, compression, elevation, plus some anti inflammatories for any soft tissue injuries, get some frozen peas wrapped in a cloth to prevent ice burn and use that while your leg is up. A bandage may help but it is possibly too late as it is already swollen, it will be sore for a good few days as the bruising comes out.

A trip to a minor injury unit would not go amiss.

shadowboy

Visit site
I did wonder about getting it checked over but docs are closed for the day and thought it wasn't serious enough for A&E so will wait for docs to open tomorrow I think- don't want to burden the Hospital if it isn't serious

Batgirl

Visit site
If you can't support weight on it then it is an A&E job IMO (ex-physio). There could be a serious rupture that requires surgery and a day can make the difference between a good repair and not.

Not trying to be over dramatic but I would be hopping over to A&E and I know what I am doing with musculoskeletal injuries.