Damned hoods...

RunToEarth

Visit site
Turned Oshka out this morning to have some chill time. Went to find him this evening and he was nowhere to be seen. Now these fields are not small at 18acres, but he never leaves Bertha's side, they are in love, so I was really puzzled. Found him, right around the back of the paddocks stood dead still. He had got his batman hood over his head, and couldnt see a thing. Now these masks cause alot of worry in the horsey world do they not? I have one that clips onto his rug, and he has another neck cover over it, so I didnt think it would cause a problem, but it had obviously come undone and worked his way up and over my poor mite's head
frown.gif

Now being as this horse is very headshy, always panic stricken and came to me mistreated, it was obviously going to be tricky catching him. Had Oshk spinning 360 at high speed at any movement and monty wrestling me for the bucket of chop I had got for him, that and a boggy wet field, not nice. Eventually got my hand under it to get his headcollar, pull his hood back and calm him down, little thing looked half scared to death, one thing I wont be turning him out with again.

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't someone on here lose a horse like that?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes - it was Bossanova. Hence why, although I would dearly love to put a turnout hood on my daughter's grey mud-loving pony, I just cannot risk it
crazy.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't someone on here lose a horse like that?

Yes - it was Bossanova. Hence why, although I would dearly love to put a turnout hood on my daughter's grey mud-loving pony, I just cannot risk it

[/ QUOTE ]
Gosh really? I never knew that, how terrible. Im very lucky he didnt panic and run off. I just have such problems with Oshks head and ears because he loves to rub his head in the mud bless him, but he has been so mistreated that sponges near his ears are absolutely no go, but like you say, rather have a muddy horse than an injured one, or even worse.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Oh goad, poor horsey! I have never used one of those hood things just because I had heard bad stories about them. Maybe stick with a full neck rug for a bit then?!?

Hope he had lots of treats tonight to make him feel a bit better!

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Youre very lucky that he stood still, hate the damn things, so so dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well at one point I thought he was going to bolt, he lauched forward but he was so very scared, when he heard me talking to him you could tell he was very confused, bless. Just keep thinking about how much worse it could have been
frown.gif

k9h

Visit site
Oh Hun sorry to hear that glad he is OK? Back to being o'natural then!!
Like you say least it didnt end alot worse (doesn't bare thinking about)

samsaccount

Visit site
As much as i would love to put one on my boy and feel comfortable with him wearing one (grey and his head seems to get the most muck of it) i would never trust i have heard alot of stories about them. I am so glad he didn't act up whilst he had it on i am glad nothing happend to him.

I am also sorry to hear about what greif they have caused you Boss, it is a shame you lost yours to those horrible hoods
frown.gif

truffles

Visit site
Oh gosh hugs hun, what a horrible horrible scare for you both. Thank god you are both safe and sound. Likewise with Chloe, want to put a snuggy hood on her but she bombs around the field, and is quite headshy and very funny about her ears (but is improving) so probably not a great idea. She comes in caked in mud but I guess will just have to have it like that through the winter! xx

KatB

Visit site
Hmm, I wont use one turning out ither, same reason I don't like fly masks when ground is wet and sligtly "sticky" if a horse rubs its face (and therefore its mask) in the mud, it effectively creates a mud "blindfold". My boy did it once, and cantered round in circles becausone side of him had sddenly gone blind
frown.gif
Also know someone that lost a horses through visibility problems... avoid anything that could hinder sight now, T/O hoods included. Not worth the risk IMO.

Weezy

Visit site
I wont even use hoods in a stable let alone turn out in them - TWICE n the last month I have had to unblind a horse in my yard because the girl insisted on using a lycra hood in the stable - the second time I threw it in the bin after showing her the weeping stains from where it had been over her horses eyes - she wont be using one again

Rosiie, if I can cope wth Boss being smothered in mud from ears to tail, you can cope with ears and face
wink.gif
Lesson learnt for you, at least nothing untoward happened

x_Hannah_x

Visit site
only just seen this thread- hate them hate them hate them, never have liked them, have always had more native type horses tho, out all year round, no need for one- glad oshka was ok and had sense to stand still.