Dandruff in the coat

suns

Visit site
Hi guys, I have just bought a shetland yearling. She has an excessive amount of dandruff in her coat that I could do with getting rid off....any ideas? Also do you think this could be the result of sweetitch during this summer, I have no reason to think this other than large amounts of dandruff through the mane shoulder and wither area.
Any thoughts Suns

amage

Visit site
good old head and shoulders! get the conditioner to. give her a real good scrub if she'll let you then condition her too!

Sal_E

Visit site
How rude
tongue.gif
wink.gif

(I think Anymay probably meant scurf
grin.gif
- she's right though, oil should do the trick)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How rude
tongue.gif
wink.gif

(I think Anymay probably meant scurf
grin.gif
- she's right though, oil should do the trick)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooops - sorry
blush.gif

suns

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The skin itself looks good, this is why I am wondering if the "scurf" is the result of an earlier bought of sweetitch (I have no experience of this). Can anyone help here. I have started putting some soya oil into her feed.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
See what effect the oil has - you should notice a difference after a month. If you are still not happy you could then try something like Feedmarks D-Itch.

Is her skin scaly or looking rubbed anywhere???

threeponies

Visit site
My Shetland gets mild sweet itch and he has what look like big flakes of dandruff in his mane. Give it a wash with tea tree shampoo and she should be fine.

suns

Visit site
Thank you threeponies, I suspect that is what it is. Im a little reluctant to bath her at this time of year because she lives out, will just keep on brushing. Welshrarebit, Murthy is lovely.