Danger of Sycamore Seeds - Atypical Myopathy

TGM

Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted on here recently, but thought it was worth posting as sadly I have just found out a friend's pony has suspected atypical myopathy and Liphook have also recently posted a warning saying they have dealt with several cases recently. They now think that the seeds of the Sycamore tree contains the toxin that causes the diseases - these seeds are often called 'helicopters' and look like this:

AcerpsSeed.jpg

With the wet and windy weather we have had recently, seeds are likely to have come down from the trees in copious amounts, so this is a high risk time, so please check your fields for these trees and take precautions as advised in the Liphook article - link below:

http://liphookequinehospital.co.uk/news/2013/11/breaking-news-atypical-myopathy-update/

lelly

Visit site
I'm slightly worried about this as we have a huge sycamore tree in the middle of a small paddock. The ponies have lived there for about three years now and haven't had any problems. Although they always have forage of some sort so maybe wouldn't eat the seeds. I will have to try and clear them up but it is impossible to get them all.

TGM

Visit site
Is it possible to electric fence the area round the tree off until the seeds have stopped falling and can be cleared?

lelly

Visit site
To be honest they spread all over the field. There are thousands of seeds. It is in three sections though so can do one at a time. The problem is they are coming off the tree for weeks and there is nowhere else around here to keep the ponies. Will have to clear as many as possible.

TGM

Visit site
Sunflower's suggestion is very sensible, plus feeding ad lib hay or haylage if you really can't move the ponies off the field for a few weeks.