Dangerous horse

DizzyDaisy10

New User
Visit site
My horse has started rearing and bucking out hacking with no warning and no event to scare him. He is currently with a professional on sales livery as I have lost my confidence. He is absolutely amazing in the school and when jumping. I think the people on sales livery are starting to struggle with him so I'm just wondering, what would you guys do? I can't afford to send him to be professionally schooled and he's not suitable for me. He also wouldn't be suitable as a companion as goes very feral without work. I'm thinking about PTS but not sure..?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's rare that I don't support a PTS query but really, has anyone tried to find out why this horse is unhappy? It could be one of a number of things that are fixable. If no investigations have been done then it would be a bit drastic for the horse to be shot, and I doubt you'd find a vet who would inject it.

stangs

Visit site
vet first he could be in pain but some horses don't like hacking. Sell him to a home that only wants to work in the school. Or a ride school with not hacking.
It sounds like he's only started disliking hacking recently. For me, such an extreme change in behaviour must be pain-related. If it's ignored as a "doesn't like hacking", then it may escalate to him showing the same behaviour in an arena.

Ratface

Visit site
I recommend that you write a descriptive timeline of the episodes of violent misbehaviour.
Some video recordings would also be useful for your vet to review.
Wishing you good luck with finding the best way forward for you and your horse.

AUB

Visit site
Horses can’t lie. They have very tiny frontal lobes. So what they show you IS how they feel, they don’t make it up. When a horse changes behaviour dramatically there is always a reason, be it physical or behavioural.

I’d start with a vet check.

Parrotperson

Visit site
It sounds like he's only started disliking hacking recently. For me, such an extreme change in behaviour must be pain-related. If it's ignored as a "doesn't like hacking", then it may escalate to him showing the same behaviour in an arena.

mob indeed but OP isn’t very clear and hasn’t responded so it’s difficult to know.

Nari

Visit site
Tell that to a "starving" cob ?

Reminds me of a couple of native colts I'd sometimes do. If their owner hadn't been up they'd quietly wait for breakfast until mine were done, if she had they'd be shouting and bouncing around trying to convince me that they'd die if breakfast didn't arrive right now!

Jenko109

Visit site
If there is nothing wrong with him, then I'm sure a non hacking home could be found.

That's a pretty massive IF though...