Danny had another temper tantrum today...but at the flippin show

vivhewe

Visit site
Took Dan to a show that is literally 10 minutes ride away from mine (including 5 minutes of getting through the stupid gates in my two fields!) and as it was our first I decided not to ask too much of him (although I should have entered equitation as there was nobody else in my age category lol! Ah well!)

Anyway I got there and he had his head up and looked around but was quite calm, although it was obvious he has NEVER been to a show before! So I walked him around and let him see things and hear the loudspeakers etc. and he was fine and then I made him stand so I could talk to someone and he was getting fidgety. He was pulling too and wanting to eat grass and I wouldn't let him so he started the rearing act again. Not right up but threatening to and spinning. I made him behave and then I got off after and let him eat but FFS it's when he can't get his own way he does it.

I thought it was napping but it's more of a temper with him (funny how nobody mentioned THAT when I bought him!) but it feels as though I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place as I either let him eat or do what he wants or he threatens to rear
frown.gif

So I fetched him home and some idiot in a car came behind extremely closely before they overtook which unnerved him, and when I came to turn down the road end they were there parked, complete with noisy exhaust, and he skitzed, trying to gallop off down the bloody road home with me
frown.gif
so I haven't had the best of days. He stopped when I asked but FFS why can't he just be sane?
confused.gif

I think a standing martingale is in order to keep his head down but does anyone else have any suggestions?

Irishcobs

Visit site
Sounds like previous owner has let him get away with things, and he's learnt that rearing means he gets what he wants. Has he done this before or just at the show today? How old is he? I'd teach him that no matter how stroppy he gets he has to do as I say, or he could get dangerous.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
I agree, this is typical of a horse that has been allowed to get his own way. You ( or someone else) needs to make a point of standing up to him. I have had a lot of youngsters etc , and from day one I never allow them to graze at shows - or rub against you etc otherwise it just becomes a bad habit that can escalate. It may sound like I'm harsh but at least then we all know where we stand. You ( or someone else) needs to put they're foot down and be firm (but fair) as YOU ARE THE BOSS!
Rearing, spinning round, bolting and napping are all very dangerous. You may decide its best to let a proffessional sort it out.
Most horses are really geniune - but just need to know the boundaries - once they're in place then its usually happy ever after!
Take care and good luck

spider

community.webshots.com
Well done! It sounds like you coped really well with everything he threw at you. Mine used to be an idiot at shows - too wound up to graze even if I'd let him. I found that keeping him walking all the time helped a lot, then he didn't have the chance to think about doing silly things. It does sound like Danny has been getting his own way. I'm sure if you are firm and consistent he will gradually improve.

Sal_E

Visit site
Sorry V, I don't know anything about Dan so hard to offer any particularly helpful advice. I would say that the tantrum thing should be met with riding forwards, HARD. It's about getting him forward thinking & changing the subject, on your terms - far more contructive than either getting after him (=teaching him to rear) or getting off (=teaching him he's the boss) - it teaches him you're in charge but doesn't endanger you, which of course must be your first priority. You can be firmer on the ground without, in theory, risking your safety & without risking him reacting too sharply/negatively.

With reference to the over-exagerated spook - not sure if he's a bit of a wimp, or just young & insecure or, possibly connected to the other problem, just over-reacts because he knows he can & no-one has ever taught him otherwise. There's several approaches that may work depending on the reasoning behind it & his temperament. You may need to avoid going out on your own so he gets confidence from others (although often the horse will revert to wimp when back on his own), you can try making him stop & stand when you see a hazard so he takes it all in from a safe distance, then walk on a touch, then stop again etc - i.e. avoiding a big reaction. You can try avoiding the problem, i.e. shoulder-in past it whilst you not looking at it & chit-chatting to him. If he does run off, you may wish to turn him round & re-present him to it - I would prefer to do this if I got a bad reaction BUT if you are not in full control you could compound the problem and/or risk your safety, so gauge that cautiously. You could consider dismounting AFTER the hazard, i.e. once he's happy (so you are getting off on your terms, not in reaction to what he's done). Then re-present a few times in both directions (if you can give him a treat for a good reaction then even better). Then re-mount & try again - trying to make it a positive & low-key experience.

As I say, it's hard to give specific advice without knowing the problem, I hope something here may be of use.

vivhewe

Visit site
He's 10, and gelded (but still thinks he is a super stud and doesn't get on with stallions so he probably was gelded late) and the girl who had him before has let him away with stuff - she's lovely but she won't even get on him now and the more I think about it I think this is maybe why!

It comes in phases with him too - he's fine a lot of the time and then he decides he wants his own way and starts threatening to rear. He's only done it once before with me - he was napping as I wanted him to walk away from the gate and he didn't want to (for those of you who haven't read one of my many other rants!) and he tried it once the day after and I booted him on and he was fine and got the idea.

Today I was wanting him to stand and I have to say he isn't a fan of standing still so it's a manners thing with him. I'm considering getting someone to sory him out but I just know the day they come he will be a little angel
mad.gif
and act like butter wouldn't melt even though it's not true!
wink.gif

I don't want him to get any worse and although I don't like giving them a hiding I could flatten him when he behaves like he did today!

Thankyou everyone though, and thanks spider for the lovely compliments about coping - I didn't think about coping, I just wanted that beast of mine back on home ground so I knew he wouldn't do any damage to anyone elses stuff!

Sal_E

Visit site
Youngsters often don't want to stand still & the way to teach them is to start with very short periods in low-pressure situations - building it up gradually with praise when they stand. This should work with him, building it up but sharply sending him forwards (as in a repremand) if he threatens a tantrum. Then, when YOU are good & ready, make him stand again, also not for too long & making sure you do not remain cross with him when he is standing - you must BOTH be relaxed & happy.

Clodagh

Visit site
My mare threatens to rear, and follows through if 'pushed'. I use Sallys idea - we have been practising standing for a bit longer every time and she is getting better, although it is taking ages.
Stick with it.
smile.gif

elaineh

Visit site
Hello,

If there are boundary problems when riding, they will also be there in groundwork. it's usualy because of his prior 'owner/teacher' not teaching horse boundaries.

You have to teach him how to listen to you, in a nice anc calm way. Sounds like your horse isn't naughty, he's just not very well educated.

I'd start again with groundwork, to get him 100% perfect at standing, leading, moving backwards from the lightest cue, lateral work, sidepassing, obstacles courses, loading, etc, all from GENTLE cues. Look at www.teachnet.ie\eheney\mainmenu.html for some ideas.

When he is listening to you on the ground, this will flow over into the ridden work, and he will be a lot more attentive and respectful when you are riding too. It's also easier to train a horse when you're on the ground to respect you, than it is to train a bucking horse you're riding (and a lot safer too)

So if you can train your horse to be well behaved on the ground, it should help a lot when riding.

Another reason for unwanted behaviour when riding is pain of any sort (back, teeth, etc)

Has he been checked by a vet? With a youngster, you do need to be positive, patient & consistent, and always only ask for small goals at a time. Keep lessons, short, sweet, fun & interesting.

I'd advise to always use gentle methods, as when you decide to fight with a horse, he'll be happy to fight back, and that usually ends up in accidents.

If you're looking for someone to come out & visit and try to figure out whats going wrong, I can recommend http://www.intelligenthorsemanship.co.uk/ look for recommended associates.

All are professional horse people with a lot of experience of deadling with horses with problems.

Good luck.