dark nights and youngsters

miniemy

Visit site
So what are we all doing now with your youngsters (unbroken ones) now the nights have drawn in. I dont get till the yard till 7pm and am wondering what to do now.

Grooming, grooming and more grooming *yawns*

Nah is not that bad I can still use the school, but just wondered what everyone else does.

burtie

Visit site
We have to walk to the school in the near dark, but it is floodlit. I will carry on with my groundwork, he may be a bit spooky at first, but chances are he will be ridden a lot in the dark evenings when older I may as well start now!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Perfect opportunity to get him used to the dark! Walking about the yard, seeing people and horses in hi-viz, seeing floodlights, shadows etc.
I'm lucky in that I can walk him out during the day, and this winter will be alot about getting him used to traffic etc. Also alot of grooming sessions, making sure he is 100% with having the kids round him etc etc.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Nothing - all unbroken youngsters are in the field getting fat
tongue.gif

Kermie

Visit site
My mare and foal come in one night a week so they can dry off - also gives me an excuse to groom, pick out feet, etc. Every other night they are fed in the field with the rest of my ponies.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I do grooming, feet and then 15 - 20 mins in the school walking in hand, we do simple walk and trot dressage tests for fun. He is also working on a long line - round the school and not on a circle all the time, now he is older he wears tack and we do long reining.

Last year he was only 16 months so we did lots of walking over plastic, poles etc and in and out of cones to help him be as bombproof as possible.

I also loose school and on the days we don't have turn out, after exercise both he and Cairo go into the school to have a roll and mutual grooming session.

Mine will be 2 1/2 in December and is now ready for sitting on shortly and the plan is to do 10 minutes once a week at a walk.

In short, there is plenty to do after dark assuming you have access to a school. Mine is also fine to lead by torchlight by himself.

Theresa_F

Visit site
This is my first baby and yes, I am ignorant in a lot of things, but what I have done is basically treat and expect to a certain point Chancer to be as an adult would.

The breeder he came from has babies exposed to everything - no moddly coddling - they get used to screaming kids, dogs, machinery, trailers etc from birth. They also have rugs put on, and are handled every day, even if it is just having a feed. Result is very well adjusted youngsters.

I won't tolerate kicking, biting, rearing, barging just because he is a baby. I know I have to move everything within reach of those naughty feet and teeth - he is very much like a large puppy and loves to chew and play.

I have found that by exposing him to everything possible, but always trying to make him feel safe and that I will never ask for something he is cannot deal with really worked well. Hence he was tied very close to Cairo last year when I was clipping and I would turn and place the clippers on him and this year, I did the same, but turned round and started clipping him and he just continued munching his hay.

One final thing, I don't faff. When he had his saddle on for the first time, I just put it on and did up the girth as I would any other horse. Ditto the bridle, boots, rugs.

I must point out that Chancer being the breed he is, is very tolerant and brave, but my instructor said that because I don't make a fuss or act differently, the horse accepts what I am doing as being normal. He tends to work with his youngsters in the same manner.

I hope Amy's foal is all what you want and you have tonnes of fun with him/her.

Sorry to waffle on, but I love having a youngster - even when he is a pest.

filly190

Visit site
I am getting my yearling used to things. I am using plastic bags etc and walking round obstacles. I dont have time in the week to do much else and at weekends spend more time with her.

I dont feel the time is wasted as she is being handled etc every day and lots of young horses are just left in fields and left unhandled until they are more mature. I think every little bit helps and winter is difficult when we are working, but I dont undervalue the little things I do each day.

I think we all fear, not doing enough and wasted time, but building the bond with a young horse takes time and over the winter with feeding, handling etc we are all doing this in a good way