Darkening leather

Myloubylou

Visit site
The polish didn’t do anything to my black saddle as didnt sink in. Saddler said to use balm to make less obvious but dye wouldn’t work to restore black colour

Kaylum

Visit site
And the dye rubs onto your jods it's just like a layer of polish. Well I dont rate it it is more of a restorer than a dye. I mean if you have a black saddle that is a bit faded.

AFB

Visit site
Just keep oiling it well and it will naturally darken - neatsfoot does a great job but can make the leather stretch

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Just keep oiling it well and it will naturally darken - neatsfoot does a great job but can make the leather stretch

Any oil will make it stretch if you apply it to dry leather.

Oil it then oil it & then oil it some more 😅

Please don't, how to really weaken leather.

That's what I use - fab for your hands too 🙂
Neatsfoot is horrible stuff IMO

I have heard that neatsfoot is actually one of the better ones, olive oil is not especially recommended either. Cremedemonthe uses a little cod liver oil as a finisher (on top of conditioner so not really sinking in) and only that. Any oil should be used incredibly sparingly on very old dry leather and no other time.

Dying a bridle is a professional job, Kiehlings I think is the name of the pro dye that I can get from suppliers, possibly worth it for a saddle, but not really for a bridle in most cases.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I bow to your superior knowledge but I'll stay with the olive oil - if it's good enough for my hands (decades of chronic ezcema) then I'm sure my leather can handle it occasionally 😬

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
But you advised some one further up this conversation to oil it and then oil it some more. Oil in quantity is not good for modern hides.
Used sparingly as a finisher, last final dressing is fine but not to feed the leather, it can and does damage the leather at a cellular level you really can't see.

flying_high

Visit site
But you advised some one further up this conversation to oil it and then oil it some more. Oil in quantity is not good for modern hides.
Used sparingly as a finisher, last final dressing is fine but not to feed the leather, it can and does damage the leather at a cellular level you really can't see.
cremedemonthe -
I’ve recently bought an older GP saddle and had it fitted to my horse. Saddler said saddle and flocking in good order (and adjusted it for my horse). But said the sweat flaps very stiff and to oil them regularly until soften. I’m not having much success oiling as still stiff. Any suggestions? Thanks

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
True I did - slightly tongue in cheek - hence the emoji - didn't say I was an expert on the subject - was taught to oil tack many many moons ago when I first started with horses.

Can we leave it now please?

Last edited:

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
cremedemonthe -
I’ve recently bought an older GP saddle and had it fitted to my horse. Saddler said saddle and flocking in good order (and adjusted it for my horse). But said the sweat flaps very stiff and to oil them regularly until soften. I’m not having much success oiling as still stiff. Any suggestions? Thanks

I'll PM you about this, Oz