Darn it, help!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well as some of you may know, i moved yards recently and got a sweet little, very very basic place, when i say basic, its a field, with no water or stable or anything.
So today i got a call (sooner than i had hoped perhaps) to say another place had become available. YO has given me a couple of days to decide.

My mare seems sound and i am actually going to try and ride her on sunday morning and see what she is like off the grass, as she appears to have nothing wrong with her, but in fact she has bad rotation and chronic laminitis diagnosed (for those who dont know.)

So at present i have a field, with one other mare, i have to cross one of the busiest A Roads in the country to get to the hacking, it has no facilities, land owner is a sweetheart and its so cheap, its 30pounds a month! Yes a month!
I have to bring water, hay and have no hard standing area, there is a field shelter, but there is only one and the two horses, i envisage winter being a nightmare

Yard from where i got the call is about 30pounds per week, but i will have stable, paddock with automatic drinker/general running water, school, hacking with no busy dangerous road to cross, an actual yard to stand on, toilet, hay ready for me, tea/coffee. Also i have been at this yard before and it is well managed, i didnt leave due to the YO's, i was silly to leave tbh, retrospect is a marvelous thing.

I am also trying to pay back my large vets bills i incurred, and my credit card
blush.gif

I could afford it, but i would have sod all spare each month, but i think that you get what you pay for at the end of the day.
I am at a loss yet again, i turned space down when it came up before as i had only just moved 5days before, my mare has stayed sound, so there may be some hope, but i have only seen her on grass, sunday will be telling when i take her out.
What would you do if you were me?
Helpppp!!

*chocolates and a boozy beverage if you got this far*

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'm with the Slinks on this
smile.gif

The hacking and the getting about and doing is what would sway me.

It's hard having to cart water and hay etc. about, so you have to have a really (really!) good reason to do it
blush.gif

Dubsie

Visit site
Given that a) mare is perhaps still poorly and has laiminitis risk with nowhere to cut her off from grass = electric fencing issues + potential MORE vets bills and b) it'll be hard in winter & c) lack of hacking and school = pretty difficult to exercise them I'd say it's a no brainer.
Then with the TIME you'll save by having everything in situ if you get on well with new YO why not ask explain situation with vets bill, and ask new YO if there is any way you can reduce your fees by working for her by helping with the other liveries, perhaps so he/she can have a lie in one day a week?? Worth an ask I would think.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Thanks everyone, i think i am just going to take the place, i can live off beans on toast for 6months
grin.gif
lol, no wouldn't be quite that bad, but i think i would rather be shrewd with my money to have the ease of everything especially with winter on the way before we will even know it, plus its my final year of my AAT, accountancy qualification thingey so i just really dont need the hassle of all that
Thanks guys, will text YO now and say i will take it for a months time
smile.gif