Dartmoors

kalasadi

Visit site
I have one! They are highly intelligent and fun too. Big characters in a little body.

Mine came 2nd with 64% at dressage the other week-first time out so we are going to do trailblazers in the new year!

I have a small adult ride mine so won't know about children! I guess it depends what age and ability!

Good luck!

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Lovely ponies, usually not quite as sharp as the Welshies can be, although we shouldn't generalise as there's bound to be loads of people shouting about their laid back Welshies!

I used to show/ dressage a Dartie stallion who regularly beat the big boys..........all 11.1hh of him!
shocked.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We had one who we bought very cheaply as he had discovered that if he cantered off with a child in the riding school, they screamed and he got taken out of the lessons!
My daughter was just five so we did some intensive work on him with a lightweight teenager first and then gave her side reins and a schooling whip, within weeks he was super to hack as he realised he couldn't get his head down to shoot off. He and my daughter had a fantastic time together, he did Pony Club, then lead rein, then we trimmed him out and he became a County standard First Ridden. He had few faults apart from one I really disliked, if she ever fell off he would kick out at her before running off. Eventually she outgrew him and we sold him to a lady to do showing, she let his mane grow again and he ended up winning the Lead Rein natives at Olympia.
Dartmoors in general seem reasonably sensible, but some are vastly better than others. One local one is an absolute saint and has gone from child to child for years.
They have nice paces and can do a good dressage test, ours jumped well too.
What age child are you thinking about one for?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
For a 2yr old and a 6 yr old. It's only done LR, but I'm thinking I can always get a small adult to ride it first off the LR and work with it. It's alot older than our last pony, which is promising!
I'm a bit wary of welshies as they can be sharp, then I saw this dartmoor and wondered what they're like in comparison.
The kids literally want to just do hacking and stuff, maybe the odd gymkhana or M&M class. Mainly my kids like to stand and help groom, muck out etc...

spooks

Visit site
my first pony was a exmoor x dartmoor . he was a bit on the cheeky side (nothing like our current welsh one though) he also adapted to whoever was riding him, put a novice on him and he was as good as gold,someone more experienced and he would get a bit cheeky. he was a very good first pony though so i dont think you would go far wrong with one

magicgirl

Visit site
I breed them so I might be a tad prejudice. The very vast majoriety make fantastic childrens ponies to ride and handel. They can and do enjoy themselves with adults. There are some breed lines as in any breed thay are best avoided. Please PM me if I can be any help