Daughter’s first dressage advice

minesadouble

Visit site
My daughter (11) is doing her first ever dressage test on her new pony im a couple of weeks and I am clueless! It’s only an unaffiliated Intro B (though run under BD rules) but we are very much showing bods! So... are we OK in showing gear (pony and child) or is velvet browbamd a no no?

Also pony is sometimes a bit slow off the leg in the school, is she OK to use a stick or should she not be carrying one?

Any other advice is more than welcome!! TIA

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes to a browband and yes to a whip. In an unaffiliated competition it is pretty relaxed anyway, I have worn a stock, a showjump collar on its own or a shirt and tie. I have worn beige or white with black/ blue or tweed jacket. I have even worn a huuuuuge wool hunting jacket when it was cold.

Gloves are compulsory, and when you arrive you will probably need to get your number. A few venues may require you to have your own numbers, but most will give you a big one with a piece of string to tie round the waist.

TBH, I think the most important thing is that she has a fun and relaxed time. Are you reading for her for the first one?

Some venues will have someone at the collecting ring to help get you in on time, but equally some may be self stewarding where you come forward at the appointed time.

If it is her and your first time I would talk to the show organiser when you arrive and I am sure they will put you at ease.

Last edited:

minesadouble

Visit site
Thanks for that Red1 - that’s really helpful!

I messaged the organisers before we entered to ask if it was fairly realxed and suitable for a first timer and they said definitely and that if she had a last minute wobble I could even go in with her on the lead rein - though there’s no chance of that - she’d be mortified!

Someone will call for her though think it might be better if it wasn’t me.
She’s really looking forward to it and is puttering lots of effort into learning the test so I have my fingers tightly crossed that it goes to plan and she enjoys it.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Don't build it up too much. It is a walk trot, and canter around an arena, I never understand why people get nervous about dressage.

EllenJay

Visit site
Advice - tell her beforehand that she will not win.
Tell her that for first time out any score above 50% is great and it's not where she is placed, but on what she achieved
When you get the score sheet back, enhance the positives and give her help on working on the negatives
Get her to concentrate on being accurate - if the test says walk at A, aim to have the pony's shoulders walking as close to A as possible
Showing to dressage is difficult, so tell her she will be great
Also tell her to enjoy herself

gingerfan

Visit site
Learn the test (even if having a caller), give herself plenty of time to get ready and warm up, smile when she goes down the centre line and enjoy it.

minesadouble

Visit site
Don't build it up too much. It is a walk trot, and canter around an arena, I never understand why people get nervous about dressage.

She’s not nervous yet, just pretty excited about it but I do think that she’ll have some nerves on the day simply because it’s a competition. She had lost a lot of confidence so it’s lovely to see her enjoying her new pony and looking forward to getting him out and about.

I’m more worried about me making some massive rookie error with tack or clothing ;)

Orangehorse

Visit site
The accuracy point is a very good one, you can gain marks by being accurate. Check with an instructor if you are not 100% sure where the pony should be at a certain letter, practice a nice straight centre line and going into the corners and doing a good circle (think about doing a square).

j1ffy

Visit site
I’m more worried about me making some massive rookie error with tack or clothing ;)

Dressage is a lot more relaxed than showing in many ways - as long as you have 'legal' tack (e.g. a snaffle bit rather than a pelham) and are vaguely neat and tidy you'll be fine! Showing would terrify me with all the turnout rules ;)

It sounds like a friendly and supportive venue so don't worry, I'm sure you'll look great and it sounds like your daughter is confident. Remember Charlotte Dujardin started off in the showing world!

eggs

Visit site
The accuracy point is a very good one, you can gain marks by being accurate. Check with an instructor if you are not 100% sure where the pony should be at a certain letter, practice a nice straight centre line and going into the corners and doing a good circle (think about doing a square).

I was always taught that it is the rider's body that should be at the marker so trot at C would mean trot when you (the rider) are at C and not the pony's head.

Make it a fun day out for her and emphasise the positives.

abbijay

Visit site

There are some basics (and some myths) to watch out for:
gloves are a must but any colour is acceptable
you don't need a white saddlecloth: it can be white or a plain dark colour or a numnah.
Make sure you're using a legal snaffle and noseband. If you are into showing be aware a wilkie is not a snaffle and not allowed at dressage.
Martingales are banned but neckstraps and breastplates are ok.

The most important thing is that your daughter has fun. Good luck, you'll be eyeing up bejewelled tack and clothing before you know it!

Julia0803

Visit site
Good luck to your daughter! My son does dressage too, and it’s so nerve wracking watching from the sidelines.

At intro level being really accurate will gain marks as others have said. So make sure centre lines are straight and circles are 20m. Think of it as riding 4arcs from each outer point of a cross rather than a circle. When he first started they weren’t working in an outline but regularly did very well because they were accurate and rhythmical.

Remember to smile at the judge.

Great point about the marks, exactly what I always said to my son and then he was pleasantly surprised when he scored better.

I hope you both have a great tome.

Huge plus point to dressage vs showing you are given a (more or less!) exact start time, so no hanging about for hours waiting for classes to start.

scats

Visit site
Hope she has a fabulous time. Also, remember that’s its supposed to be fun.
I was at a competition a few weeks back sharing the warm-up with a little girl of about 8. She was happily warming up her pony, singing quietly to herself, for the first five minutes and then her Mum arrived to help her run through the test. It was horrendous to witness.
The Mum was telling little girl everything she was doing wrong and making her repeat things over and over and berating her when she didn’t get the correct canter lead etc. Little girl just completely shut down, I saw her confidence shatter in a matter of minutes. In the end she just walked around the school while her mum barked things at her.

On the way home, even my Dad mentioned how sad it was to watch.