Day 1.... spoilt horse

Louby

Visit site
Well I did it, no treats today and it was quite funny really. Spoilt brat mugged me for mints but I didnt have any on me so he did this lovely ears forward cocked head look as if to say. pleeeeazzzzze mummy instead of the usual GIVE ME A MINT NOWWWWWW look. I ignored him and he went back to eating his haylage. He then spun round for his itch and I got the headcollar and tied him up .... sweet boy look again LOL
Felt some satisfaction that Ive finally took a step in the right direction.

elles

community.webshots.com
Having read your post, I thought "ummm, sounds a bit familiar, time to get tough"! I'm on day 1 also and we had no treats today, just lots of pats and a couple of carrots in dinner. It's hard to resist that head turning "pleeeeeeze" kiss though!
wink.gif

BethH

Visit site
Good for you, don't forget the praise though - lots of cuddles instead of lots of treats worked well for me and lots of praise when he gave me the nice behaviour I wanted. A nice forehead rub is a great reward for good behaviour. Give it a week you'll be amazed, best of luck in ignoring the pleas!!!

By the way, Ryan always walks to the back of his stable whenever I enter just put your hand up to your horses face and he should back away from you, he will do it automatically in no time if you insist on it 100% of the time, Ryan has to stand at the back of the stable when I put dinner in and has to wait 3 seconds before he is allowed to eat and he is not allowed to eat his haynet when it is being hung up - you probably know this already!

pottamus

Visit site
Well done, keep it up as consistency is the key here. I have a cheeky opinionated Welsh who I have to watch like a hawk and keep on top of or he quickly steps out of line. I occasionally have to go through a weeks brat camp training with him either because he has got too big for his boots or I have let things slip a bit (I am only human!).
But a few days of insisting on good manners, stop and start when asked, back up from stable door to let me in, stand and behave for rug to be put on etc does the trick.

Fiona

Visit site
Not sure what you original problem was (haven't been on HHO much this week), but well done for sticking to your guns.
My OH and I had been catching our 3 with apples (as were given bags of windfalls by a local farmer), but my TB mare double barrelled my OAP horsie yesterday when I went to catch him, so all treats have been banned for the forseeable future.
Hope your "tough love" works well!
Fiona