Day 3 of horse not catching.

smokey

Visit site
Follow on from my silly mare not catching thread. As title, day 3 and she still won't let me get near her with the rope. I've done the chasing thing, tried food, tried ignoring her. Not a chance! Let me put my hand on her neck, then took off snorting.
I'm frustrated, but also upset, as I think this is probably down to me. We have a great bond, and it's obvious to anyone that she looks to me for reassurance. The last time she was worked, she really wasn't happy, introducing new stuff and she was really spooky. I've always got round this before by just getting on with it, and she has accepted pretty quickly anything I've done. However, this time I think I didn't get it right, she's not happy and is now not trusting me. I guess I'll just have to take a step back and wait til she forgives me! :(

mad4

Visit site
My little mare has done this to me too!

when she first arrived, no problem with catching at all, total angel. but like you i was doing lots of new things with her and to be quite honest she is so quiet that i probably went to fast and freaked her out a bit. so she lost a bit of trust in me i think.

overnight i became completely unable to catch her at all :( i had to open the yard gates and let her come in by herself at night, if i tried to touch her she would bolt off. one in the box, all calm was restored.

im still working on it now a month later but (luckily for me) her field is right behind my house so i go visit her multiple times a day, give her a treat and a pat and walk away. we then progressed to holding the headcoller, giving a treat and then release again.

so i dont have a perfect solution, but you are not alone

smokey

Visit site
My little mare has done this to me too!

when she first arrived, no problem with catching at all, total angel. but like you i was doing lots of new things with her and to be quite honest she is so quiet that i probably went to fast and freaked her out a bit. so she lost a bit of trust in me i think.

overnight i became completely unable to catch her at all :( i had to open the yard gates and let her come in by herself at night, if i tried to touch her she would bolt off. one in the box, all calm was restored.

im still working on it now a month later but (luckily for me) her field is right behind my house so i go visit her multiple times a day, give her a treat and a pat and walk away. we then progressed to holding the headcoller, giving a treat and then release again.

so i dont have a perfect solution, but you are not alone

Thank you, I think I will just have to take a step back and start building the trust again. I feel so bad that I've failed her, she's such a star and I took it for granted that she would go at my pace as she always has before. :(

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Does she need to be caught daily and is she out with others?

My mare used to do the exact same thing. I'd head into the field and give all her friends a fuss and completely ignore her. A day or two later she was always first in the fuss queue. Try not to feel bad or worry, she will come around xx

indie999

Visit site
Am guessing your horse is young?. I would make food area smaller too. Electric fencing if that is possible. Had a horse who was lovely in all ways most of time but one summer couldnt catch for 6 weeks....! Experienced owners etc never did it again. We think the grass..and momentary cheeky. But usually no problem.

If you have time go and sit in the field food food etc. ropes headcollar etc trust etc

I definitely wouldnt chase etc.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Stop trying to catch her. Make her follow you with a bucket for a few days. If necessary build a pen in the corner and get her coming in for food then catch. Stay calm. They know.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I think your mare may be in pain when ridden. When you finally do catch her, I would investigate everything, tack, teeth, back, lameness work up etc. Mares expecially are liable to avoid being caught when they are in pain. Excessive spooking can also be a symptom. A mare at our yard was always difficult to catch. After 3 years she was finally found to have suspensory desmitis. She was operated on and is now great to catch.

joeanne

Visit site
Chasing will never work.
Walk quietly behind her, and let her walk away, but keep her moving so that she cannot stop and graze.
You don't want her bombing around.....just quietly keep her walking.
Chose a day you are not pushed for time, and then commit to seeing it through.
Once caught, a pat, a treat and turn away. Then repeat. And again. And again.
The time between you being able to catch her should shorten until you are eventually able to walk quietly up to her and catch 1st time.

lula

Visit site
if you're taking this personally - which you shouldnt by the way but i understand why you are - have you tried asking someone else to try to catch her for you?

depending on the reaction they have from her, this will reassure or confirm for you it is/isnt anything to do with her feeling overfaced by her work with you.

that's the first thing id try anyway.

goodluck

HBM1

Visit site
I think you are right in taking a step back. Have you tried just going in the field without a headcollar or leadrope and just a brush and giving her a groom when she comes to you. You could do that maybe for a day and then feed her in the field and sit with her just chatting...then try to catch her up. Not sure how old your mare is, I agree they do often do this too when in season. My mares used to do it when much younger - they would come up and say hi, but not want to do anything else - but not so much now they are older, youngest is now 6.

smokey

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. She's actually 9, so not because she's a baby. She's also not being ridden just now. I'm actually breaking her to harness, but have had about 4 weeks of no work due to weather and time restrictions. She has seen the trace chains, and has walked out wearing them tied up with no issues. Got her in a few days ago and she was spooky and not happy at all. Decided to long line and lunge with the chains off, but in the arena so she could have a good look. Every time she passed them she was getting worked up and spooking. Put her out in her field ( she grazes alone, but with friends either side). Went to get her in next day and she just wouldn't be caught.
Am going to start going in to the field to poo pick etc and not even touch her for a few days. Will try getting her to follow me, rather than me chasing her.
I know she'll come round, but it is upsetting to think that she sees me as a threat now.
Not allowed to section off the field, so that's not an option.
Will let you know how it goes over the next week or so . Thank you all x

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. She's actually 9, so not because she's a baby. She's also not being ridden just now. I'm actually breaking her to harness, but have had about 4 weeks of no work due to weather and time restrictions. She has seen the trace chains, and has walked out wearing them tied up with no issues. Got her in a few days ago and she was spooky and not happy at all. Decided to long line and lunge with the chains off, but in the arena so she could have a good look. Every time she passed them she was getting worked up and spooking. Put her out in her field ( she grazes alone, but with friends either side). Went to get her in next day and she just wouldn't be caught.
Am going to start going in to the field to poo pick etc and not even touch her for a few days. Will try getting her to follow me, rather than me chasing her.
I know she'll come round, but it is upsetting to think that she sees me as a threat now.
Not allowed to section off the field, so that's not an option.
Will let you know how it goes over the next week or so . Thank you all x

Do you have some electric fencing? If so divide the field down the middle and which ever side she is in gradually move the posts towards her. Obviously if the field is very large this will be time consuming but it always works. Good luck.

toomanyneds

Visit site
i have a really annoying mare that use to do this all of the time, sometimes 3 weeks at a time, going on hunger strike, other days you would go in the field and she would be in your pocket within seconds.

i tried everything, keeping her moving, lunge ropes, groups of people, food, small pen etc but none worked.

I called my friend jayne as she does this whole natural horsemanship doo-dah, i know really nothing about it, but she came and showed me her approach, walking arc's across the front of the horse, making sure you always walk away from them and not them from you. not making eye contact and making sure you mirror thier movement. i had never really delved in any of this before but suprisingly with some horses it does work, im not convinced with all horses but with mine it was great.

once jayne caught her i did some join up with her in the round pen, groomed fed and turned her out, and keep doing the same sort of thing, give her a good stratch a carrot and then walking off. she then was pleased to see me again and gradually we worked up to normal.

Now i rarely have problems catching her, ill walk up to her in the field and if she walks off so do i and i leave her, always within 5 minutes she is at the gate calling me.......of course she is, it on her terms.......always ask i mare remember!

The only time i ever have problems is if i overspend on the allowance of 'Smudge' and subject her to obcene things such as exercise and baths jumping etc. but this is rare!

but long and short of it, letting them catch you and trying to do the opposite to what your instinct tells you does seem to work!

smokey

Visit site
Do you have her on a calomer, as it sounds to me she could be hyper due to weather and / or hormones and / or magnesium shortage with autumn flush grass.

I'm not sure that's the case. As I said, she's 9 , and have never had this problem before. Can't tell when she's in season, there is no change in her at all. She is a totally laid back heavy. I'm pretty sure this is all my fault! Will bear it in mind though if there is no improvement, thank you :)