Day one - the oats diet

dwi

Visit site
Have decided to start D on oats to see if it gets her a little more oomph.

The woman in the feed shop was a little concerned to sell them to me "You do know that will fizz your horse up...?"

We shall see if I'm still alive in two weeks. Will she just be spookier and more fiesty or might she actually move with a little more enthusiasm?

dwi

Visit site
She is the skinniest cob you've seen. She is on restricted grazing, soaked hay and low calorie chaff and worked 6 days a week for at least an hour at a time. She can't have more grass because it bloats her up and makes her uncomfortable and fat. I've spent ages getting her really slim but even skinny she still isn't energetic so I'm trying a tiny amount of oats to see if it gives her a bit more spring in her step.

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
I don't know how you are feeding them but if they are whole I find it best to soak them for 12 hours then drain them for at least 1 (actually about 12 cos is easier). My routine goes:

Evening Day 1 put two feeds worth of oats in a sack, put sack in bucket of water. Remember oats will swell up to about half as much again by volume, so have a big enough bucket!

Morning Day 2 take sack out of water and hang it to drain (I tie binder twine around the neck and then hang it on a handy hook over the emptied bucket).

Evening Day 2 empty soaked oats into another clean bucket. Feed half the soaked oats and cover the rest for the morning. Put another lot in the sack in bucket of water to soak.

Just repeat daily!

This was recommended to me by a vet who looks after sport horses and competes as a show jumper. He mixes the oats with beet pulp, any supplements needed and corn oil. His horses all seem to have plenty of go without being loopy.

Good Luck with the diet change

dwi

Visit site
Thanks, can I ask what the rationale is for soaking them? I gave them about half an hour tonight but as a child the riding school I worked at fed them almost dry and it didn't seem to do them any harm.

hairymolly

Visit site
I used to feed my previous mare oats. She got Dengie naked oats and I never soaked them. They def made a difference to my mare, she could be a lazy pig. She never got silly on them just a bit more fiesty.

charlie_brown1

Visit site
We have a cob and when my daughter started getting bored with him as he was "too" safe and wanted a bit more ooph. I asked the vet what I could feed him to do this, she said he is a cob!!!! So that was it!
wink.gif

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, can I ask what the rationale is for soaking them? I gave them about half an hour tonight but as a child the riding school I worked at fed them almost dry and it didn't seem to do them any harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it just makes them a little easier to digest

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things really, it makes them easier to digest and also (skinflint here!) it makes them go much further! Two measures of dry oats can become three or more when soaked. I think you said you were feeding just for a bit of oomph? This way she gets the benefits of the oats faster and you use less.

Friend's reason is that oats should either be milled or soaked to aid the digestibility and he doesn't like milling as it makes them too powdery and it can cause respiratory irritation in some horses.

I know loads of people who just feed whole dry oats and their horses are perfectly OK, it's just my preference to soak!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Daughter's cob gets 'oomphy' when he has anything with molasses in it
blush.gif
grin.gif

Daughter now thinks is a hoot as the skit sideways out the gate. Sugarbeet with molasses had a bouncyfiying effect
grin.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
All horses here get straight oats and alfalfa. PF does MUCH better on oats than the mixes I lovingly chose for her in the UK (and which of course were much more expensive) she's also much more chilled on them. I think molasses are FAR more likely to make a horse fizz up, than oats, and lots of mixes are FULL of 'em.

Shazzababs

Visit site
Mine gets oats and Alfalfa oil, too much molasses make him into a crazy bucker. He tried to kill me when I tried him on pasture mix!

No Oats and its like riding through treacle, he does everything in slow motion!

bex1984

Visit site
I shall be following your updates with interest dwi, everyone keeps telling me to feed Murphy oats...we have gone from no food...to chaff...to mix...to competition cubes...and he is still lacking in energy (or just plain lazy!!)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I shall be following your updates with interest dwi, everyone keeps telling me to feed Murphy oats...we have gone from no food...to chaff...to mix...to competition cubes...and he is still lacking in energy (or just plain lazy!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Molasses
grin.gif
Anything sugary makes Little Cob, um, come awake shall we say lol.

Abbeygale

Visit site
I've just started giving my mare a few oats, as she was getting to be incredibly lazy, and I just wanted a bit more go. They certainly have done the trick - and we had a very entertaining ride out the other day - she has definitely got a lot more oomph - but unfortunately it did also make her spooking a lot faster
grin.gif
grin.gif

But when I have asked her to concentrate in the school she has worked better and doesn't feel like she is running out of energy half way through the schooling session.

I will definitely try soaking the oats though - that sounds like good idea. x

bex1984

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Molasses
grin.gif
Anything sugary makes Little Cob, um, come awake shall we say lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like it might be worth a try once the spring grass has gone then
smile.gif