Days to find the right event stallion - opinions please on these 4?

evsj

Visit site
Hello all, this is my first post on H&H forum in over 2 years!

I would appreciate some thoughts on a few stallions I am short-listing to cover my mare......which I'd like to do when she next ovulates in 10 days or so.
blush.gif

My mare is IDxTB (1/2 bred) 13 year old maiden and has evented to PN/N, lovely paces, well mannered,very good conformation etc but can be sharp/sensitive.

I am looking to breed an eventer from her and I really want to put her to TB (no warmbloods, I don't think they would suit her temp).

These are my main contenders;

One More Tiger
Kings Composer
Primitive Proposal
Tinsley Faerie Legend

I really liked Primmores Pioneer but had to rule him out as I hear Mayhill stock can be tricky.

Would love to hear your opinions as I really have to make a decision this weekend!!
confused.gif

eventrider23

Visit site
Lovely stallions all of them......on a basis of what you say about the mare have a tendency to be sharp/sensitive then I would not use Primitive Proposal...he himself is sharp and I know two of his sisters, both of whom are very very sharp and so whilst he is throwing lovely stock, I would be wary of putting him to a sensitive mare.

I love One More Tiger and Kings Composer and so from that list I would say it would have to come down to them

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Nice to see you back!

I'll go along with ER as well with a bit of a passion for Tiger although KC is stunning as well having met him in the flesh, especially as you can now use AI with him. SN has a wonderful 3 yr old by him which you might have seen.
Tiger is a superb gentleman; I should know, I had him here most of '07, and he is a delight to handle. All of his foals and youngsters I have met, have copied his lovely laid back temperament and been good athletic movers. Baydale and Millitiger on here both have one as I do too. The stud are very good to deal with too and couldn't be more helpful.

Do let us know who you go with in the end.

millitiger

Visit site
i have a One More Tiger and whilst she is a perfect stamp and extremely athletic she can be very, very sharp!
she is easy on the floor but can be quite buzzy to ride and actually had her professional 4**** rider off on Monday. not a bad fall but she spooked and chinked very quickly and Rosie plopped off the front.

we do however think she will go very far eventing as she is ulter brave and careful and totally focussed on her jumping- she is actually better behaved away from home when she has things to concentrate on.
Rosie agrees with me that she always needs new things to learn to occupy her brain- which is where her previous rider fell down as she tried to drill her with endless circles in the school and Millie firmly said no thanks!

she is not dangerous or malicious but is not an amateur rider- i broke and rode her on myself with absolutely no problem but she couldn't cope with 3 days of work a week, she likes to work 7!

i am not sure if her sharpness comes from Tiger as her dam was a very highly bred flatmare with lots of high class sprinters in her line- i have not met any other Tiger babies though so cannot comment!

i also have a Primitive Proposal 3yro who is a delight to handle and be around and has been very good with the backing work we have done so far- i wouldn't call him sharp but he is sensitive about who and how he is worked.

billyslad

Visit site
I like your thinking for an eventer I am doing similar things with half bred mares

I have shortlisted , Wickstead Didgeridoo , Groomsbridge May 1, and Miners Lamp for my three mares that are all Irish x TB I am still open to ideas but that is the shortlist that I have put together

It is very hard to find meaningful stats on any stallions and it would be great if BE could produce data on stallions on a percentage basis as some of the stats may flatter one stallion with one or two really sucessful progeny

I find the 6 & 7 year old stats a good indicator of current form but it is by no means foolproof

ihatework

Visit site
Hi,
I have a 5yo Kings Composer who is out of an IDxTB mare.
He is a really nice event stamp, jumped double clear in his first event the other day. He has a superb temprement and a very trainable brain, combined with a nice clean jump.

Roddyhunting-1.jpg

Roddydressage.jpg

img003.jpg

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Just to throw a suggestion into the mix, have you looked at Handsome Stranger, I have a lovely 2 year old filly by him out of a Calvados mare, he has done a really good job of improving her faults.

madeleinewachman

blanchardshillfarm.co.uk
I have two foals this year by Kings Composer which I am delighted with. Both are very forward going, bold and inquisitive, but have good heads on them. I think that how they are as foals is always a good indication of what they will be like personality wise as adults.
Both came out running and have been very independant and fearless from day one. I have put coloured poles and fillers in the field to get them used to things and both are straight over to touch them and step on them!

I haven't had any experience of the other stallions, but they all seem good choices.

You can have a look at my two Kings Composer foals on www.blanchardshillfarm.co.uk under Empress Orla and Electric Indigo to get a feel for his offspring.

Violet

Visit site
And Handsome Stranger is a by the same stallion Hand in Glove as the now very popular stallion Jaguar Mail.

Simsar

Visit site
Hi I have met all four of these stallions over the years and have to say that although they are ALL lovely stallions if I had to choose it would be between Primitive Proposal and Kings Composer. Probably Kings Composer though, a real classy stamp of a horse!

vhf

Visit site
Temporarily gained a Kings Composer chestnut mare (!) living with mine. She's got a jump to die for, and a lovely, gentle fun nature, with just the attitude to make her a nice eventer, not that she ever will...

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
[ QUOTE ]
And Handsome Stranger is a by the same stallion Hand in Glove as the now very popular stallion Jaguar Mail.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is also the only graded full TB son of Hand In Glove, in the world.
grin.gif

evsj

Visit site
Thank you all for your comments/links - I am grateful to have a few more ideas. The list is narrowed down and I will choose over the weekend. Ben-and-Jerrys, I take it that's your grey in the pics by KC, he looks fantastic.

Thanks again everyone!

lynne_macleod

Visit site
HI

Have you tried looking at Stravinsky? He is stunning TB winning race horse turned dressage (so lovely temperament)
My boss has a eventer TB/ID mare who we put to him 2007 and we were so pleased with the filly we had we went straight back and next one due any day now. The filly got first premium at the futurity and has a lovely temperament even thought the mare can be a bit sharp like yours.

He is at http://www.ranbyhall.co.uk/bloodstock/stravinsky.htm

clare_gg_k9

New User
www.teambsfeventing.com
I do not agree with the comment that Primitive Proposal is sharp, and as for his sisters, they were actually by The Outlaw who does not have a good temperament, not by Primitive Rising like Proposal is.
I worked with Proposal for over a year and never had a problem with him, he is a VERY loving and kind horse, and the type of horse to put himself in harms way rather than hurt someone. All the people that I have come into contact with who have had Proposal foals have all been delighted.
He has a fantastic free movement and eye catching look to go with his lovely temperament too.
I do not think its fair to say that he is sharp or quirky as he is not and I will indeed be using him on my own mare when she is older. Surely testiment to Proposal as I know the horse extremely well?