Dealing with a kicker

Orangehorse

Visit site
I've already chucked something at him in his field previously and he just kicked out when it hit him.

Hitting him doesn't and wouldn't work, if you went for him I have no doubt he would go back at you and you'd lose. He's not a small horse and when he kicks he kicks up and out and could easily kick you in the face if your close enough to clump him, I can't explain how quick this horse is to turn and kick.

I'm not looking to pick a fight with him or even attempt to hit him, he would have me and it's not worth my life.

Orangehorse

Visit site
No, when referring to a "nagsman whacking a horse that kicked" I was thinking of someone riding a horse that kicked out at another and getting an immediate punishment. Not standing in close proximity to a horse.

My mare was the worst I ever had to deal with and although she was great to ride, it was a worry that I knew that she would kick out at other horses in company and she remains the only horse that I have been kicked by when I bent down to pick up a brush in the stable and that was after I had owned her quite a long time. It certainly takes the pleasure out of handling the horse.

Lammy

Visit site
I think you’ve made a good decision, certainly not an evil one. And I would do exactly the same in your shoes.

Equi

Visit site
You have to do what’s best for you and the horse clearly isn’t particularly happy for whatever reason (and you have tried very hard to find out why)

We’re all with you and will support you over the next few days when you will inevitbely find he settles and becomes the sweetest horse ever (trust me this nearly always happens)

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
So so sorry OP, what a horrible situation to be in.

I have gone through the thread and do believe you're doing the right thing. Horses are suppose to be fun, and by no means does this sound fun. I would do exactly the same f I was in your place.

Thinking of you x

Trouper

Visit site
I've had to do this, too, OP when temperament issues were just the final straws which could not be fixed. Of course there will be regret but let your pride take over that you have done the most loving and responsible thing you could do for him. I'm not in the "horses are supposed to be fun" corner I am afraid - they are beautiful creatures for whom we are responsible so we either stick with them, and hopefully get them through their problems, or we take on our shoulders the burden of deciding when they need to leave us. Let your tears release him tomorrow and turn to those left behind who still need you.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have just read the whole thread too and I am fully behind your decision and will be thinking of you for tomorrow. It won't be easy!
Horses have no concept of the future and live in the now. A humane end, done respectfully and with love, is a good end.