Dealing with muddy fields - don’t want mud fever!

chesnutcraze

Visit site
Since our fields are on a slight slope, the front of the field is where it’s the muddiest, and that’s where the greedy cob stands waiting for his food!
I have a load of old straw from last year that I’m not going to use since I now use shavings, so would it be worth laying it all down on the worst of it so he’s not just stood in mud?
We’re looking to move in the new year so it’s not worth doing anything expensive or permanent.

neweventer

Visit site
I have discovered pig oil!!! I plaster it on my horses on a weekend (I bring them in to allow legs to dry off) then cover heals and fetlock in it. The mud just roles off and her white sock is still visibly white! She’s very sensitivity to mud fever but this year an injury (mine) has meant she has to live out. I thoroughly recommend it

Shay

Visit site
The straw might provide a better footing but won't have any impact on the risk of mud fever. Pig oil and Sulphur is - to my mind - the best barrier. If your horse is sensitive to the sulphur just pig oil. (Note - its just heavy mineral oil - no pigs are harmed in its manufacture!)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Keratex do a mud fever prevention talc powder. You put it on the legs prior to turn out and the idea is that the mud doesn't stick to the legs and its waterproof. Also contains disinfectant. We used to use flowers of sulphur from the garden centre mixed with lard on our yard in the 90's as it was the 'in thing' and everyone used it, but its messy I warn you. The idea is that you leave it on all week, then wash off with shampoo or fairly liquid, make absolutely sure the leg is dried and reapply for the following week. It worked very well, but you couldn't put boots on and it got quite messy. Pig oil is much better especially for feathered horses.

Also if you can wait to the mud has dried and brush off with a soft brush this would be preferable to soaking the legs with a blast of a hose. Easier said than done though I know! Also a bit of vaseline in the heels prior to turn out will help keep them soft but waterproof.

Tori21

Visit site
ordinary talc powder! if you put some on your hands then wash off you will feel the protective silky layer that it leaves behind hence it having waterproof properties. my TB suffers terribly with mud rash & this is a very cost efficient way to keep him rash free. also a bonus at having nice white socks!

npage123

Visit site
Also, do try to act as quick as possible with the application of whatever barrier method you decide to use (when I used to be on DIY, I used plenty of a combination of pig oil and sulphur) as it's so much easier to prevent mud fever than to treat it. I didn't rinse of any mud when he was brought in the afternoon. I let it dry naturally overnight in the stable, and then it's so easy to brush/rub off the mud that morning. Just before slapping on loads more of the pig oil/sulphur combination.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, another vote for PO+S. I put it on a couple of times a week with an old sponge, liberally, from knee to hoof. I know my mare had bad MF in a previous home, and so far, with me over the last 2 winters (touch wood) she hasn't been affected at all. And there's plenty of mud in the field!

I'll have probably jinxed it now! Gah!

Loopieandme

New User
Visit site
I scrape off the mud with old hay and dry the leg thoroughly with towels the apply MudStop. Its fantastic as it allows the leg to breath whereas pig oil/barrier creams can trap moisture if the leg isn't completely dry beforehand.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Pig oil and sulfar. Don't wash the legs at all, cover them in PO and S My geldings both got mud fever, i then used PO and S and haven't had it since even stood in tons of mud.

Some people wash legs daily, I don't get that!