Dealing with separation issues

tubby1

Visit site
Just looking for wee but advice, I moved my 2 horses yesterday to a new yard. Great new place , very little mud and a lovely indoor school. I have a mare & a gelding and they are very bonded but were ok when ridden separately . My daughter tried to ride her normal Saint of a pony and my big girl was screaming for him so he was a bit naughty and unsettled. Obviously this is very early doors , they still need to settle and I don't expect miracles. I just want to make sure I deal with this the correct way. They are in a barn so plenty other horses. Should I start just have them together in the school at first till they settle or should I separate them for short periods so they realise the other is coming back. Would a calmer help ? Just want this to be a positive move for my daughter as she is feeling really motivated at this new place . Thanks in advance

SpringArising

Visit site
Should I start just have them together in the school at first till they settle

I don't think this will help much - they need to get used to spending time away from each other, not spend even more time together.

should I separate them for short periods so they realise the other is coming back

Yes. This is exactly what you need to do - a lot.

Would a calmer help ?

Maybe, but I don't think it's necessarily the best thing if you want a long-term solution.

Option two is your best bet!

Polos Mum

Visit site
It's all about practice so separating for short periods a good idea, see if you can move stables so they aren't next to each other (only by one is fine) see if you can get them turned out separately.
Get your daughter out hacking with someone else from the yard so her pony can't hear the other one shouting and can focus on work

PorkChop

Visit site
Just repetition I'm afraid - and yes it can be a pain in the bum.

We have recently moved house and my normally saint like horses with regards to staying in/out seperately turned into needy monsters. They get better every day, quiet, calm insistence :)

tubby1

Visit site
Thanks guys , I will start taking them for short walks and returning . My girl is a bit unsettled so hopefully will settle in a couple of weeks. On a plus side I love my new yard