Decent pay in the horse industry

meandmyself

Visit site
It seems to me that the horse industry is well known for paying bad wages. Even with the national minimum wage, we're still getting paid a low amount for a lot of hard work.

I know that a lot of people go into the industry because they like horses and enjoy working with them. All well and good, but that won't pay the bills at the end of the day. In other industries, people are made to pay the NMW. Why not the horse industry?

Before you all start talking about the horse business having higher overheads than others, they should be built into the business plan. They should already be covered before any staff are taken on.

IMO, the horse industry can pay low wages because we, the staff who make it run, let them. We accept working for a low amount 'as part of the job'.

Answer me this; would you work 40+ hours a week in Tesco or a call centre for the same amount?

What do you think? Does anyone have anything to add?

Irishcobs

Visit site
I have something to add. Not every equine job is badly paid, I get a good wage for the hours I work, which aren't long, or that hard work. But the job I was in before was horrid, low wage, long hours. I agree most jobs are low pay but not all.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I worked at a driving yard, no riding, 40mins away from me. Had to suffer with bad mannered horses, which I wasn't aloud to tell off and got paid peanuts!
Now I work at an eventing yard, lots of riding, 10mins away from me, and have lovely well mannered horses, that I can correct and get paid good money.

eventingdiva

Visit site
Not all horsey jobs are badly paid. I'm freelance and get paid £8 per hour, all my jobs include riding and are all within 15 minutes of my house. The people i work for are all lovely, and most of the horses are, those who aren't we are allowed to discipline as we see fit! And i love my work, wouldn't give it up for anything
grin.gif
x

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I have only had 2 horsey jobs. The first they boot me through their books as an apprentice as I was going ot college after the summer working with them. They never actually taught me anything, yet I was paid the princely sum of.........................£0.91p per hour.........5 1.2 days a week, 8-5 with 45 mins for lunch!!

The next was a lot better! 5 days a week for £188 a week!! That was brill! Lovely horses to work with - not too keen on the owner though!!

I want to go back into it in 6 or 7 years, but will prob be around a £10,000 pay cut if I do!!

seza

Visit site
Everyone has a choice as to whether they take a job or not. There are many people I know both free lance and in paid jobs that are well paid and are not overworked. There are numerous perks with working with horses but the biggest one has to be that you are doing something you love. How many people working in an office would give up their wages for the chance to do something they really loved. If someone doesn't like the pay/conditions then they should look elsewhere .

meandmyself

Visit site
The reason why I started this topic was because I've been looking at jobs for the new year. I phoned a very nice yard, it was exactly what I wanted. Lady told me she'd pay me £60, with free accomidation, but I'd have to buy my own food. I asked how many hours, and she told me about 50 per week. Hmmm...

I want to get back to working with horses, but there's no way I can live on £60 per week.

mitchellk

Visit site
I have worked with horses for six years, I enjoy what I do and yes there is a great deal of satisfaction BUT the amount of c**p I have to take from the people I work for is unbelievable. That combined with poor wages (I will never be able to even rent a flat on the money I earn) and the bad attitudes I have encountered are the reason why I am looking for a change of career, and I am really excited about it!!

equibabe20

Visit site
I have a great equine job, great pay, great holiday, but I do agree with you that there are so many that are badly paid! When i was originally looking I went for one job that was 6 days a week 6am-6pm NO WAY!! and less than I'm on now think it worked out at about £10,000.
frown.gif

ljubb

Visit site
National Minimum Wage DOES apply to the horse industry, benefits in kind are not allowed - such accom..

The longer staff keep taking the jobs and doing it for the love of horses the longer people will get away with it.

Vix1978

Visit site
Your right - NMW does apply. However accomodation can be offset against this (although it is a tiny amount). you'll find that a lot of people try and get around this by using "training wages".
employees who aren't getting paid minimum wage can go to HMRC and let them know that they aren't getting this. this can also be done anonymously.

meandmyself

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
National Minimum Wage DOES apply to the horse industry, benefits in kind are not allowed - such accom..

The longer staff keep taking the jobs and doing it for the love of horses the longer people will get away with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that's my point exactly!