Decent riding lessons around Birmingham?

jxd

Visit site
Wondering if anyone knows of any decent yards with good instruction/horses that give lessons around Birmingham - I'm in Selly Oak, but am happy to drive around an hour to somewhere if its worth my while.
I'm back at uni and havent ridden for around 3 weeks now
frown.gif
I'd really like to have a dressage lesson on a good schoolmaster, to give me some pointers before team trials.
I've been recommended Vale view in Leicester - according to routefinder this is about 1hr 20 away and £27ish for 2 of us (going with a friend) so could be an option.
Any other ideas?

ihatework

Visit site
I went to Brum and did the teams
grin.gif

I really enjoyed my lessons with Jenny Ward at Bampton stables near Northampton, I'm guessing that would be about an hour away, she trains and judges to a really high level and has a few dressage schoolmasters.

jxd

Visit site
ooh really? How long ago was that?
I'm team captain this year, so theoretically should be back on the team, but thought I'd better get myself back into the swing of things before my first lesson back (don't want to be outdone by the freshers
laugh.gif
!) Plus am just dying to be riding again!
Does Bampton have a website? Just googled it and couldnt see anything?
Thanks x

ihatework

Visit site
Urm, not sure if they have a website (it might be brampton rather than bampton), but you are bound to get the details via BD, Jenny is a list I judge (I think!).
I captained the BUSA team back in 2000/2001, we won all our league comps but then finals were called off due to foot and mouth
frown.gif

What stables are you using for regular club sessions, we used Wishaw and Julie Yardley and the trillions of coloured cobs! I know they then went over to Redditch way the following year though.
Good luck for this year!

jxd

Visit site
Wow, bit of a coincidence then!! We came 2nd at the nationals this year (by 2 very frustrating little points!), so hoping to go one better this time round!
We ride at Kingswood EC in wolverhampton now, which has decent facilities - I know they moved year before last, apparently it used to be pretty dire (cobs in a bog of a school I think!!)
Thanks for your help, will definitely check it out - just a bit worried now I'm 'meant to be good' haha!

jxd

Visit site
both, so combined-training stylee competition -
you have 7mins warm-up and ride a dressage test (judged against 3 other riders from competing unis that ride the same horse i.e. who can get the best out of that horse).
Then jump a different horse - 5mins warm-up, 4 practise fences.
Lots of fun!!!
laugh.gif

RLF

Visit site
Hi,
i am originally from brum and struggled to find a decent instructor locally. Moved to Hereford and am now spoilt for choice.
If you don't mind travelling, theres quite a lot to choose from in Hereford (roughly 1 hours drive).
Serena/David Pincus
Christine Hardinge
Sally Newcombe
William Blane
Matt Ryan etc,
if you want any contact details go to
www.herefordequestrian.co.uk there are even more instructors on the this web page
hope this helps

jxd

Visit site
VERY useful webiste, thankyou
smile.gif
- am also looking for something to ride/share while I'm up here at uni, and several of the ads there look worth a ring.
Thanks x

Moggy

Visit site
Kingswood would be your best bet. Cant think of anyone North of Brum with the school masters as well, unless you go as far as Ingestre near Stafford

Twiglet

Visit site
Can highly recommend Kingswood - had a lesson with Nicky on a schoolmaster there. Not badly priced, and incredibly informative lesson.
In Wolverhampton, easy to reach on the road, and in a lovely area.