Decided to sell but no idea of a starting figure

twiggy2

Visit site
After a couple of breaks away from home this year and moving around with no fixed abode for 10 weeks I have decided to sell my mare as I want the freedom to get away when the opportunity arises.
I only want a horse that works properly so whilst she can be left and ridden once in a blue moon with no hysterics that does not work for me.
So what do I price her at?
She is 15.1hh, good in all ways, green to jump but honest, good flat work for experienced rider, well behaved for novice, great in traffic, clip, load, farrier although never worn shoes. Could make ideal mother daughter share as can be galloped repeatedly up a hill then walked to the bottom and relaxed walk back up on a very loose rein. May also suit older rider for lots of hacking. Not sharp in any way. Good conformation -photos in here somewhere.
9 yrs, snaffle mouth and has been hacked in halter. She will be sold in Essex if that affects price. One splint that has been there since 5 days old due to a clumsy dam, never lame/ill, access to vets records owned for 7 years.
What do you guys reckon I should be asking?

Last edited:

{123756}

Visit site
Taking in to consideration her splint and area (I currently live in essex), say she was sold as a safe low level alround family horse id probably price her between two to three thousand, maybe closer to the two grand mark.

be positive

Visit site
As she sounds like the "perfect" hack if she is also nice on the ground and is smart looking then you should be able to start in the region of £3k up towards £6k if the recent thread on the value of a decent hack is anything to go by, most people hack more than compete so even if she lacks experience competing the right person will pay a premium for a true happy hacker that is genuinely well mannered, don't price her too low, get really good photos and put her on the better sites and you should get plenty of interest. The splint in a horse of her age is not going to have an effect on the price.

Annagain

Visit site
My initial thought was £4k ish so looks like be positive and I are in roughly the same ball park. Could you work on her jumping a bit before you sell?

TGM

Visit site
Has she got any record of going out and about and doing things - not necessarily competitions, but sponsored rides, RC/PC rallies/clinics etc? How green is her jumping - you say she is honest so presumably doesn't stop or run out, but is she a serial pole-basher?

twiggy2

Visit site
She is of light medium build, there are photos on here somewhere for guess the breed, most people opted for part tb and some part quarterhorse. Bay.
Need to get things in motion and sell her.
Thanks for replies.
Jumping wise if we come across a small ditch etc she will cross it but I don't want to start working on new stuff to sell her, her flat work is good and she could go out and compete tomorrow at low level dressage and be placed

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
Has she got any record of going out and about and doing things - not necessarily competitions, but sponsored rides, RC/PC rallies/clinics etc? How green is her jumping - you say she is honest so presumably doesn't stop or run out, but is she a serial pole-basher?

Has done one clinic this year, hacks out alone and in company in all paces, jumping she has never jumped course as I am not interested in it but she jumps big due to being green rather than stopping etc

TGM

Visit site
Has done one clinic this year, hacks out alone and in company in all paces, jumping she has never jumped course as I am not interested in it but she jumps big due to being green rather than stopping etc

She sounds very nice, and having found some photos of her you put up she looks a lovely type. As for starting price, it does depend on how fast you want to sell her and how well you market her. As she has no competition record, you need to 'prove' her value with decent photos and videos. Perhaps put her up for £3500 to start with?

twiggy2

Visit site
She sounds very nice, and having found some photos of her you put up she looks a lovely type. As for starting price, it does depend on how fast you want to sell her and how well you market her. As she has no competition record, you need to 'prove' her value with decent photos and videos. Perhaps put her up for £3500 to start with?

No rush to sell as I will be more settled over the winter

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i window shop although there is no way i can afford to buy another but hope i may get a nice lottery win!!!! she is more or less exactly what i would be looking for. a safe, sensible horse that will hack alone and with company and could do riding club comps.....there are not many on the market and those who are genuine seem to be near to 4k so i would think you should be able to sell her easily... good luck

twiggy2

Visit site
OK, I thought I would update this thread.
I have taken my mare out to 2 dressage shows, as always no fuss / drama, she does not shout, you can load and unload on your own as she will load whilst you wait to put bum bar up. We took her off and did her classes then took the other off and put her in and left her with a haynet - good as gold.
Got placed 3rd and 4th at first show and 2 x 1st at second show- only intro classes.
I am putting her up for sale after Christmas and was thinking at starting price £3750. What do you guys think should I start a bit lower?

be positive

Visit site
That sounds a sensible starting point, you can always drop a bit to a good home but cannot put the price up if you get loads of interest, get a couple of really good photos and if you want me to look at your ad before you put it on just send me a pm.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I presume the price is without tack? I've been looking for a friend recently and there isn't many horses like her selling less than 4K. She's a nice height and age. I'd put her on for £4250 depending on how quick you want a sale

LD&S

Visit site
OK, I thought I would update this thread.
I have taken my mare out to 2 dressage shows, as always no fuss / drama, she does not shout, you can load and unload on your own as she will load whilst you wait to put bum bar up. We took her off and did her classes then took the other off and put her in and left her with a haynet - good as gold.
Got placed 3rd and 4th at first show and 2 x 1st at second show- only intro classes.
I am putting her up for sale after Christmas and was thinking at starting price £3750. What do you guys think should I start a bit lower?

I've recently bought a happy hacker, for £2800 incl delivery, she is a bit forward and has a couple of very minor issues but like yours is very good in traffic etc. I would think you are about right on the price and wouldn't drop too much, she sounds lovely, to be able to leave in the field for a week or two and ride out no problem for a lot of people is a really good buying point and can be a deal maker.
Good luck with your sale.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes it's a good starting point the lack of jumping experiance as a nine yo ( well she will be ten )will seriously reduce your pool of buyers .
So think carefully how you pitch the ad .

SpringArising

Visit site
Is it this horse OP?

DSCN0851_zps0qrlf6ev.jpg

I think she's beautiful. If she were mine I would market her at £3250 with a view of taking £3000. I think people will see 'splint' and the price and potentially think £3750 is too much.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't think the splint would have any effect on value of a horse of her age and type. The lack of jumping might but plenty of people don't want to jump.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Even if I were choosing a horse to go to Badminton a well placed splint acquired as a very young horse would not be a worry .
She a lovely looking horse OP.
If she truly a perfect hack that's were I would try to position her.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
She a lovely looking horse OP.
If she truly a perfect hack that's were I would try to position her.

Agree with this. A 9yo placing in unaff intro tests wouldn't really swing the needle for me, but a sound, genuine hack would. Good luck OP. She seems a lovely sort so I doubt you'll have trouble selling her.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
She's absolutely gorgeous, yes I'd concur with the 3-3.5k mark :) My new boy was 2.5k w/tack but he's 13, although I still think that was a steal as he hacks well and does low level all other disciplines, if he was 9 I'd happily have paid 3.5k-4k :)

Asha

Visit site
As for a breed, id hazard a guess shes welsh D x TB. She looks just like my friends.

Lovely type of horse, and from what you've put i'd advertise her at £3750. The splint wouldn't worry me either.

I would also mention her recent outing, as people love to know if they have been out and about, and more importantly how they handled it.

twiggy2

Visit site
Is it this horse OP?

DSCN0851_zps0qrlf6ev.jpg

I think she's beautiful. If she were mine I would market her at £3250 with a view of taking £3000. I think people will see 'splint' and the price and potentially think £3750 is too much.

That's her but not the best photo.

Agree with this. A 9yo placing in unaff intro tests wouldn't really swing the needle for me, but a sound, genuine hack would. Good luck OP. She seems a lovely sort so I doubt you'll have trouble selling her.

I would only mention the shows to support the act she takes new things in her stride and will still concentrate and work when presented with new experiences, she has been so easy to take out and about and I thought it would be a good selling point.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I would only mention the shows to support the act she takes new things in her stride and will still concentrate and work when presented with new experiences, she has been so easy to take out and about and I thought it would be a good selling point.
The fact that she's an easy horse to take out and about is a huge plus, so defo mention it. She looks lovely, and should be easy to sell on to a suitable home.

I paid 4.5k for a 10 yo 16.1 chunkier version of yours earlier this year, complete with a splint. Mine jumps though, but I don't any more, so I'd have been happy with a non jumper.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as i said before she would really suit me, and i am on essex/suffolk border so nice and close..only problem is i dont have any money!!!!!
i would say being safe and sensible is worth a huge amount so agree start at £3750 and you should not let her go for under £3000.....there are lots of people who want a safe sensible hack with the potential to do some local comps so the right person will be out there as long as you can hang on for them....good luck..