Decision! - head or heart??

IMO it is safe to teach a horse to tie up at.....

• Total voters

PoppyPony

Visit site
I am currently in the process of fostering a horse from my local sanctuary as a companion for my boy. The home check is at the weekend and after that I will get the companion ASAP.

The decision is this: should I get a sweet little cob who can never be ridden, same age as my horse, gelding as well, kind little horse who would be no trouble OR

a pony who is known to be a complete b*tch when in season, has thrown off my very experienced instructor in the past. She is a complete stunner and I used to look after her when she was at the riding school I worked at. The plus point is that they are putting her out as a companion (so same cost) but she can be ridden. This would be nice as I could go riding with people and have a little project to work on.

I am so torn - but I'm swaying towards the cob atm. In the future however it would be lovely to have two (very different) horses to ride, especially as there's no-one at my yard I can hack out with.

Any thoughts!?!?

miamibear

Visit site
I put the cob, anything for an easy life!!
grin.gif

Wouldnt want anything that may cause me problems in the future!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I put the cob as he is going to be a more suitable companion to your gelding.

Speaking from experience mares with hormone problems can be trouble with geldings in the field.

You could try supplements etc with the mare, but if you want an easy life and probably less chance of injury to your gelding, I would go with the little cob.

Tia

Visit site
The one that costs the least to feed, keep, and won't tear up the field too much with clobbery feet!
grin.gif

So I'd go for the pony
wink.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I put the cob as he is going to be a more suitable companion to your gelding.

Speaking from experience mares with hormone problems can be trouble with geldings in the field.

You could try supplements etc with the mare, but if you want an easy life and probably less chance of injury to your gelding, I would go with the little cob.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good point, hormonal mares are absolute tarts and will rape your poor horse all summer when in season and when not will kick the s**t out of him.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Personally i would go for the cob but its down the personally circumstances and if you have the time and money to work with the mare.

The cob sounds lovely though and like he deserves a nice home and if they mare can be ridden she will get snapped up quick anyway.

Claireg9

Visit site
i put the mare, but only because you said you'd like a project, so im assuming you have time for one!
Cob sounds so nice that he'd go very quickly as a companion, the mare on the other hand sounds as though she might be difficult to place as although she can be ridden, 1 how many people would want to and 2 she might kick there GG to death!

On the other hand in the right hands she could turn out to be a cheap star! Gove her something for her hormones and you can always keep her in a fenced off area next to your gelding, company without tears... plus a project!

Good luck whatever you decide im sure the horse will be deserved of you x

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The cob without a doubt. The cob uis unrideable but from what you are saying for a great deal of the time the mare is aswell. Have an easy life...the cuddly cob every time.