Decisions...Decisions...Decisions!

Hemirjtm

Visit site
I'm posting this to get everyones opinion :D As I'm not sure what to do!

My horses are all kept at home. All we have is a field to school in so not ideal, but I can't do anything about it until we can afford to put a school in! My problem is I can't school on it in winter, and the other problem is that my stables leak and we just can't afford the huge amount of money it is going to cost to replace the roof.

I have found a very nice livery yard that is about 20mins away that has what seems like a very nice surface, lots of paddocks, water tight stables, and nice hacking. My RI wants to put her youngster on livery over the winter so that she doesn't have too much time off, so we would probably be going together and sharing costs of fuel!

However is it worth it? I have made a list of pros and cons about putting him on livery during the winter months.

HOME - pros:
* I can check on him whenever I want to
* No money on fuel to go to and from the yard
* It's cheaper
* No bitchiness (but have never been on a livery yard in France so no idea what it's like!)
* No one makes comments about what I'm doing with my horse
* No comments about my riding, except from my mum and my RI
* My hacking is lovely :D

Cons:
* I can't school him at home during the winter, which means our schooling goes down the drain, but he gets very very fit!
* My stables leak so I have to change his bed everyday, or every other day if the weather is not bad!
* If mum doesn't hack out I have to hack out on my own and this is a tad boring sometimes!

LIVERY - Pros:
*It is a professional showjumpers yard, who teaches (my RI is more dressage than jumping which has been fab for me as I'm now a more capable dressage rider, but as I want to event I need to have some SJ lessons)
* It has a school that I can use throughout the winter
* Stables that don't need re-doing everyday!
* Good hacking
* Can be turned out :D
* If he goes my normal RI will be putting her youngster on livery aswell so I will have her there when I ride just in case I need a bit of extra help :D

Cons:
* 20 mins away from work, so 35 mins away from home.
* It's money that could be spent elsewhere.
* We moved to France to have our horses at home!

So my question is: What would you do? Would you keep him at home and muddle through or would you move to livery for a few months?

French wine if you got to the end of my ramblings!

Britestar

Visit site
Save the money you would spend on livery and put it towards fixing the stable roof, and go and use the school once a week or so thru the winter.

LMR

Visit site
I would keep horses at home and save the livery money for stables/arena. Is there no way of even temporarily fixing the stables?

In the winter is there a nearby centre you and your RI can hire and share the cost?

Hels_Bells

Visit site
I'd be horses at home any day of the week. Having your horses on your doorstep is worth it every time in my opinion. I always had horses at home and was shocked at all 3 of my livery yard experiences. Much happier being back at home. Could you duct (duck sp?) tape some empty fertilizer bags or something over the leaks until you can afford to fix them??

As for schooling in winter I would just try to school while hacking and do what Brighteyes suggests once per week!

Hemirjtm

Visit site
Thanks guys!

Problem is my horse won't schools on hacks! He has a tendancy to stand on his back legs if I ask him to school out hacking! I would ideally like to be able to school him but it's just not safe to school him!

It's not really possible to go somewhere a few times a week as my mum works mornings and I work afternoons and don't finish until 5.30pm and in winter it is dark! And the only schools that are close by (ie less than 20mins from home) we can't use during the winter! I work for my RI so the livery being 20mins away from her is ideal for both of us as I am at work 6 days a week!

We are in the middle of trying to sell our other house, and then this money will go on fixing the roof and renovating where we are now, and possible towards the arena!

thanks again!