Decisions Decisions, your opinions please.

Louby

Visit site
Posted on here the other night about my problems with an Ifor Williams trailer or should I say my boys dislike to it!!!
Im really not in the league to be maintaining and paying for a wagon as I'd have to get an old one so Im now thinking of an Equi trek space treka. Im thinking of seeing how much I will get for my HB505 in part ex towards one. A lady comes for lessons to our yard in one and Im going to see if she will let me try my boy in it. Ive been against this make in the past as Ive heard a few horror stories about them tipping over but dont you always seem to hear the bad things. What do you all think, any success stories with scaredy horseys that will travel fine in wagons but are literally shaking before we've even moved in a trailer. Mmmm Hubby will be so so pleased to hear about this....NOT. Its only money!!! Money I aint got..LOL.

beaconhorse

Visit site
sorry but no very often if they are scared of trailers that much they are scared of all trailers. My horse included I had to bite the bullet and buy a lorry. To be honest when I also switched to a smaller older diesel car, it did not work out much different in cost than running a gas guzzling 4x4 everywhere. Even my insurance for both only costs the same a one 4x4.

flowerpot

New User
Visit site
I always find that a hot toddy and a damn good shafting works every time. Good luck with that!
cool.gif

hunteress

Visit site
Didn't read your last post sorry, but I have to take out my partition for my boy and and another horse previously they couldn't stand up in my Ifor (with partition) when I look in after travelling now he's herringbone put two lead ropes at each side and attach him to these I got a full Breast bar and back bar £35 each from Ifor. you might have tried this but if havn't have a go it WILL work, good luck.

Happytohack

Visit site
Didn't read your last post sorry. You might find your boy likes the Equitrek better as it is side loading and the horses travel facing backwards in it. It is also quite a lot heavier than the Ifor, so you will need to make sure your vehicle is up to towing the weight.

Parkranger

Visit site
I have the same problem with trailers - my boy just kicks the whole time in one!

Going to bite the bullet and buy a box....hopefully hire it out to other people on the yard to help it to pay for itself!

x

Nailed

Visit site
I didn't read your prevous post but, some horses really dislike the Ifor Williams trailers anyway. They are pretty thin sided and some horses just dont like this. One I knew that disliked them would load easily in a rice trailer. Good luck.
Lou

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you are thinking about Equitrek Trailers then be very careful about the vehicle you intend to tow with. They are very heavy before you put a horse in. Their unladen weight is from 1750kg, which is around double that of a standard trailer. Remember that is without any horse in it. Some 4x4s will not have sufficient power or weight to tow them when they're loaded. I don't want to put you off them but just want you to be in possession of all the info.
All the dimensions/weights etc are on the Equitrek website.
Good Luck

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone, we have a fourtrak so I think towing should be fine. My friend thinks I should try a HB510 or similar first though.