Decisions, Decisions

Eothain

Visit site
I have all my stallions picked out for next year except for one mare.

I've a list compiled of stallions I want to breed her to:
Condios, VDL Arkansas, Mermus R, Ars Vivendi and Heritage Fortunus.

Each one is an amazing horse but I'm stumped as to which one to choose. I'm like a child in a toy shop who can only pick one new toy. They're all similarily priced. Condios is the most expensive at 1,500 euros and Arkansas the cheapest at 750. My problem is that I want to use them all before any of them kick the bucket.

I am leaning towards Heritage Fortunus because he's cheap at 1,000 euro and I'm putting another mare in foal to Luidam next year and think it would be cool to have two foals by the hero stallions of Ireland's Aga Khan winning team of 2004.

All of the stallions add blood to their stock which this mare needs. She's a mare I competed up to 1.20m and was brave as a lion. I took her to a Dublin qualifier as a five year old and there was a double of verticals near the end of the course and she bounced it. I couldn't believe it. She barely clipped the second vertical with her hoof. There's nothing like leaving out a stride where there's only one stride anyway. She has more scope than she knows what to do with!!!

I sold her full brother a couple of years ago and even though he looks more like a plough horse than your conventional showjumper, his rider thinks he'll go to National Grand Prix level next season.

Here's a picture of her in action:
7424178_orig.jpg

She's a little long of the back and has crap hooves so from the above list, any help would be greatly appreciated.

It gets annoying when you think out loud all the time but keep thinking in circles!!!

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
He certainly looks like a genuine sort and a trier. He has a slightly unorthodox jump for my liking, the way he twists over his fences (but it does show what a big heart he has).

So here are my thoughts on the mentioned stallions.

Condios -

Lovely horse with power, ability and ridability

VDL Arkansas -

Looks like he might be the one that would add the least amount of blood to your mare.

Mermus R -

He has a hind leg to die for and looks like he thinks for himself about the job.

Ars Vivendi -

Can't find a video of him, but if Aktion Pur Z is anything to go by I wouldn't be disappointed with a foal that jumps like him.

If you are stuck between them, I would go for the oldest, as that might be the first to kick the bucket.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Nope, not me!

Cruiseline, here you go:
http://www.ballymureenstud.com/ars_vivendi.html

Not only is Aktion Pur fantastic, so is H&M Actrice! I love that mare

Thanks Eothain

Hmmmmmmm I see your dilemma, but I personally would put Heritage Fortunus at the bottom of your list and put Ars Vivendi right near the top (he obviously can produce both male and female performers) along with Mermus R (I love his hind leg - but note Ballyshan's comments on HBF about the long back)

Do let us know which one you decide :D

Eothain

Visit site
Ahhh ... Pacino! What a horse. I have him in line for another mare as soon as he's approved. I think he's absolutely amazing. I saw him jumping a 1.30m in Coilog earlier in the season and thought to myself, "Where does the scope end?"

Eothain

Visit site
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

ROFLMFAO! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Oh my, oh my! Good one!

I wish. There's more talent in that man's baby fingernail than most riders have altogether.

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
Must say I'm biased but love Condios. Love him being linebred to one of the worlds most influential thoroughbreds in sporthorse breeding: Ladykiller. He has an excellent motherline. Sire Coriano also adds another excellent Holsteiner motherline via the influential mare Option. I love my Condios 6yo and my yearling by Coriano.

Don't know if you've seen this but may be of interest to you, particularly the last few paragraphs concerning Condios: http://www.clearround.com/Coriano Stallion.htm

Eothain

Visit site
... I'm still no closer to a decision!!!

You may ask. Mr Eothain sir, why must you decide so soon when the next breeding season is soooooooo far away?

I would reply, I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me. I'm just a poor boy from a poor family, spare me a life from this monstrosity!

I would then turn off the Queen Greatest Hits album and say that I need to decide so soon solely that I'll have the price of covering fees etc. I like to budget ahead and save accordingly

Eothain

Visit site
She's by the Thoroughbred stallion Musical Pursuit and out of a Corran Ginger draught mare. She's an outcross to most bloodlines!!!

And Ginnie, thank you very much! I do try to stay grounded!

DRSsporthorses

drssporthorses.propoohd.com
Well we have two yearlings by VDL Arkansas and both are extremely nice and very smart. The colt is out of a Supreme Leader mare, and he shortened the back on that one and he has been a standout foal from day one. The other is a filly out of a premier Furisto mare the we purchased at 4 months of age. Quite frankly, we liked the Arkansas filly out of that mare so much that we purchased the mare this past May. She is currently in foal to Lancelot. I really like the Arkansas and every single one I see at shows always jump right out at me. Given the ones Ballyshan has had, I think he's in he the same camp. The only thing I would pay attention to is to send size to him.

Mermus R is spectacular and we used him this season. Attitude and temperament in particular is impressive and we personally went and viewed this season's foal crop at Galway Stud and I am sold on him. We have slated the Furisto mare to him next season.

I do like Ars Vivendi, however the one thing I didn't care for was his feet. Given he isn't a youngster, but he could use some more heel for my liking, and it's tone thing about him that I have held off on so far. I prefer to wait to see some of the feet on his progeny over the next couple years before I decide to go that route.

All three are proven producers and that's their biggest selling point in my view.

Our Arkansas' are just down the road from you and if you want to pop over and take a look just send me a PM.

Eothain

Visit site
DRS, I might just have to consider dropping down that far!!! Will the Arkansas/Furisto filly be big do you think?

As for Ars Vivendi, I think H&M Actrice and Aktion Pur Z have done enough to allay any concerns I may have over his stock's hooves. Though having said that, the mare herself doesn't have the strongest of hooves so yet another factor weighing in. In fact, her hooves are poor enough. Farrier's Formula is like my best friend when she's stabled!!!

Royal Concorde is on my to use list but not for a wee while. He still has plenty of youth about him and I've a list as long as my arm of older stallions I'd like to use. Plus, I've another mare ear marked for him.

Condios is certainly a proven producer of both Eventers and Showjumpers. If I were to breed a mare to Condios and get a filly, I'd be a very happy man. Like Arkansas, I think mares going to him need a bit of height. Luckily this mare has a good amount of it!