Decisions decisions!

pistolpete

Visit site
Hi all. This is just ramblings and thoughts but you guys often help me see things differently so this is me right now. Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have. Briefly- my riding pony went lame last December since about April I’ve tried various loans shared and riding schools to get my riding fix. Best of this was a weeks riding holiday in Spain. Fabulous! I’m back now and currently riding occasionally at local riding school. Uninspiring to be honest but don’t want to lose all my riding fitness. I want another horse really but for lots of reasons think I should wait until Highland pony is no longer around. Has a fractured stifle but may stay field sound for a good while. He’s happy and not costing a huge amount so won’t have him pts. so I’m trying really hard to be positive about being able to save a bit of money and have clean nails! It’s so hard though I miss having the connection of one of my own to ride. Just didnt work for me having shared etc. I tried about five. Sorry about the essay. Too much time on my hands!

Bradsmum

Visit site
I guess the question is why did the loans and shares not work? Were there conflicting management issues, the horses didn't meet the standard you would be happy to continue with or didn't like the sharer! I applaud you for your decision to allow your pony to live out his days - is there any chance he would come sound again? I hope something just comes along and you both fit. Good luck.

pistolpete

Visit site
Yes mainly I didn’t get in with either the people or their systems. Not criticising them. When it’s your horse it’s your rules. That’s something else I miss.

Peglo

Visit site
I had 2 field ornaments and didn’t think I could manage or afford a 3rd but as the 2 girls got older I worried one might go to horsey heaven and leave one by herself (they have 2 field mates but mine are stabled separately to them) so I half considered a 3rd as I didn’t want to panic buy if the time came but really was just window shopping. Until I saw my new one’s picture and then I just fell in love. I bought her and have just had to manage. ? but mine are at home so I don’t have to pay livery and my decision was for my girls too…. Or so I told OH. ?
Hope you can find a resolution. I think I would struggle with sharing/loaning too but mostly because I would want the horse to like me the most ? (yes I’m petty, no I’m not 12!)

stangs

Visit site
Is it a financial issue keeping you from buying a second or something else? Because, if it's something else, it sounds like you might need a second ;)

Otherwise, if you're not enjoying the RS lessons, could you do those less regularly and start working out instead to maintain the fitness? I'm sure there must be places around you that you could volunteer at to get a horsey fix in the meantime.

teapot

Visit site
Sometimes less is more when it comes to riding schools (am saying this with my personal hat on as it's a decision I've recently made) - is one lesson that costs more actually more value to you than two lessons that cost less individually?

If you don't want to buy, would a full loan be an option? Ie one without owner watching your every move.

Carrottom

Visit site
Rather than the uninspiring local riding school I would save for trips to somewhere for schoolmaster type lessons, or weekend riding breaks.
Is there a local riding club where you could volunteer at competitions? It might be a way to get a horsey fix and meet different horsey people, you might find someone looking for an occasional rider.

pistolpete

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Definitely given me some more ideas. Teapot been considering coming back to your place. I was very happy there. Just one lesson a week wasn’t enough! A full loan if such a thing was an option might be best solution. Food for thought.

catembi

Visit site
Buy another one! Says the person with 6, due to repeatedly having to retire horses from health problems, then buying something else a couple of days after deciding that this time, I really AM going to give up... Two of mine are out on full loan atm, one as a light hack & one as a companion. Catembi's lending library of slightly broken horses... I have some left... Could I interest you in the full loan of an ISH with PSSM who only likes to walk or a Shetland...?

teapot

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Definitely given me some more ideas. Teapot been considering coming back to your place. I was very happy there. Just one lesson a week wasn’t enough! A full loan if such a thing was an option might be best solution. Food for thought.

We've got new horses :D