Decisions, descisions............

Halfpass

Visit site
Since deciding to loan my horse out the phone has been ringing off the hook. I guess 17hh horses for loan don't come up too often. Have got people coming everyday until thursday next week!! My initial thought had been to see evryone and then draw up a short list and ask those to come back however the first pesron came yesterday and I thinks she's great. She's 17 and keeps her horses at home with her mums horses she wants to xc him mainly but is also thinking about doing some low level dressage and SJ. She rode him in the school yesterday for 30 mins or so and got on so well. It didn't bother her that I couldn't ride him first and she just jumped on. She has never really done any sort of schooling so he was going round like a giraffe but she wants to have lessons to improve her flat work which on the whole wasn't too bad he was listening to her and generally behaving better than he does with me
smirk.gif
, which again is good seeing as he hadn't been ridden for a fortnight. She popped him over a jump which eventually got up to 2'9" and thats with no maringale and a snaffle which I wouldn't dream of doing. He was calm and controlled (i'm sure I bought the right horse in from the field!!!) she adored him and couldn't wipe the smile off her face
grin.gif
. The people that were coming today have let me down so she is coming back to take him over the xc jumps today. My dilema is do I stick to my guns and see everyone else knowing that I will probably go with her but on the off chance that there may be someone better or do I go with my instincts an go with the first person that has seen him? The other plus side is that they also want to buy him after the 6 month loan if everything goes to plan. I think I have made my decision but just want wise words from you guys
cool.gif

Thank a lot

Erika

Bri

Visit site
When we were selling my pony, we were faced with a similar dilemma. 2 weeks worth of people wanting to come and view, and the first person that tried him was lovely and they really seemed to click.

Originally we told her that we would call her back once all the others had been, and then we thought 'sod it'.
If you've found someone he's going to be happy with just let him go to her! The other people will probably be disappointed but that's life!

Guessing that's what you were going to do anyway
grin.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a plan but isn't this the horse that was only really happy hunting? Or am I mixing him up with another?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to sound rude but everytime I post on here you seem to give me some sort of negative reply. I am not here to justify anything I do just want to get some good advice. It may be an idea to re read some of my posts and then you might be able to get the jist of what my boy can / can't do. I am being open and honest with everyone that views him and giving them the opportunity to try him out in whatever discipline they wish to. So please stop all the negativity with me as you are starting to give me a complex.
confused.gif

Dovorian

Visit site
For what it is worth, I recently loaned a horse which I had anguished over for ages, on balance I decided that I didn;t have the time nor to be honest, inclination needed to continue with him. I'd received a barrage of calls some even claiming that they 'would have him unseen', in the end he went to a teenage girl with a very sensible and experienced Mum. Some would say not the ideal pairing but it is working, horse is happier than I've seen him for ages and I no longer feel guilty!

I also said that I would not get another ...... but a few months down the line that is just what I am doing, but this time a happy hacker just for me.

So, good luck, go with your instinct and if you got a dood feeling with this girl why not arrange a decent trial so you can have total peace of mind?

siennamum

Visit site
It's really difficult, but in your place I would definitely pin the girl down, ensure she's everything she appears to be and let her have him. It's so trying and upsetting having lots of people hopping on and off & sometimes being critical. If she is great with him, then go for it.

Ali0

Visit site
I would just go for it! If she seemed nice and they make a good match then I am sure it would be fine!
yes the others will be disappointed but like Beggars Gold said
' Thats life! '

Good luck on your decision,
Alice

Pidge

Visit site
Let her have him on loan, if you and your horse like her what more can you ask for? Plus if everyone else came to see him it might unsettle him, and would also get the hopes up of the other people that they might get him on loan. Go with your gut instinct, it's usually the right one
smile.gif

tarzipan06

Visit site
IMHO I would go with gut instincts - I recently sold my son's pony. The first woman was really nice and everything I wanted but she was offering me slightly lower on price - I then had a complete nightmare of a woman come to view him (whilst talking to on the phone my instincts were shouting NO), rather than drag the heartbreak out even further I decided on the first nice lady. I am still getting phone calls for him and no doubt could have got the full asking price but I always go by 'when you know you know'
Good luck

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She's 17 and keeps her horses at home with her mums horses she wants to xc him mainly but is also thinking about doing some low level dressage and SJ. She rode him in the school yesterday for 30 mins or so and got on so well. It didn't bother her that I couldn't ride him first and she just jumped on. She has never really done any sort of schooling so he was going round like a giraffe but she wants to have lessons to improve her flat work which on the whole wasn't too bad he was listening to her and generally behaving better than he does with me
smirk.gif
, which again is good seeing as he hadn't been ridden for a fortnight. She popped him over a jump which eventually got up to 2'9" and thats with no maringale and a snaffle which I wouldn't dream of doing. He was calm and controlled

[/ QUOTE ]

Dressage girl, With the above quote, it is possible that the young girl is more confident to do well at sj and dressage. Some horses go differently for different riders. No disrespect intended Halfpass, but with a different more confident rider, he may be capable of all sorts of things. eg, if he went to Carl Hesters, you can guarantee that he would be able to do a dressage test even at Prelim level.
I hope that I am getting it across as I mean it to.
grin.gif

In another example, a friend had a horse who she couldn`t do a lot with, although he was lovely but just not the horse for her to compete on, so she sold him as she thought that he would only be good for RC horse. As it turned out, he went BSJA and did very well. I hope this makes sense.
grin.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
If you decide to loan your horse ,however nice the people and home appears to be make sure you have a legally drawn up loan agreement, that your horse is both freezemarked and micro-chipped, that any tack you loan with it is postcoded and that the horse is vetted before he goes on loan.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
She sounds like she has clicked with him mentally and seems very confident in her ability to ride him. She obviously likes jumping although not schooling? One thing that I would question further, Is does it sound like she is just planning to go out and jump him and nothing else? do you think she will actually have these flatwork lessons? why has she not so far? You may need to ask her who she is having lessons with, what facilaties she has at home to allow this and how many lessons she plans to have.
What you dont want is an over confident jumping teenager who jumps him consistantly because that is what she prefers to do, you may get a horse back in 6 months, rather than bought, that is no further in his training but buggered through consistant jumping with someone with little or no schooling abilities.
I know this sounds negative and I do see why you have taken to her, but sometimes if things sounds to good to be true, it is.
as above, make sure you get a good sound contract, you could include a clause that ensures that she gives you regular updates on all her lessons. You may need to talk to the parents further and obviously go and see the facilites, I am sure you will make the right decision for your horse.
Best of luck
Dawn

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you are considering the girl to have your horse I would certainly want to see where he was going to, inspect the yard. I would want a really good loan contract drawn up at to who is responsible for what etc. List all the tack that goes with him & mark it aswell if you can. Microchipping/Freezmarking the horse is a must.

Personally I would not loan a horse of mine for several reasons;
1. A horse can be ruined in a very short time
2. When the loan is up or the horse is getting on in years they curtail the loan & you are left with looking after an ageing horse requiring regular vets attendance. You also have to find a yard to put him on.
3. This horse is to be show jumped & XC'd which are potentially hazardous I injuries occur regularly. If he was seriously injured they may pay for the treatment but eventually if he's incapacitated then he'll be back to you.
I know many people are in favor of loaning their horses but I would certainly sell him. Let her come as often as she wants to ride him to make up her mind but if he were mine the only time he would leave in a lorry would be when he'd been sold.
Just my opinion...but I respect yours.

Accy

Visit site
Go with your gut instinct as 9 times out of 10 its the right one, Make sure you check out where the horse would go to and spend some time there and set up that you would be able to visit.

Good Luck

Tia

Visit site
If they have clicked then I think you have your answer - Make sure you check out where he will be going and have a contract drawn up as soon as possible and once you have that don't bother with allowing any others to come and ride your horse. Well that's what I would do anyway. For me I just know when things are right......and I think you do too. Best of luck.

horsegirl

Visit site
Oh you have got to be kidding me? I asked a straightforward question as your posts seem to contradict themselves quite often. One minute he is vetted lame twice, the next there is nothing wrong with him. I'm sure you said you were selling him as a hunter as this is what he is happy doing and then you are talking about loaning him to someone who wants to do other stuff. Fair enough they can try him in any discipline and see how he gets on but isn't this what you have already done and it made him miserable?

If you post on a open forum then it is rather silly to complain when people query it!

horsegirl

Visit site
from your post!!

he came from a hunting home lame, so bought him at meat money price in the hope that he would be my type of horse
he is unpredicatble not in a nasty way but one minute he'll jump and the next we are eliminated. One minute he schools well and does a fab dressage test the next we are having to leave the arena!!! I spoke to my instructor and he was really honest with me and said that he was bred to be a hunter and thats what he should be doing and that you can tell by the look in his eyes that he does not always enjoy the show jumping.