Dectomax for horses.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Last year I read and I thought screenshotted that I can buy injectable Dectomax and treat horses myself. Someone on here (I think!) knew the doses and details but I can no longer find it. Can anyone advise please?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
hmm, its off label-its quite a thick sort of substance and my pony really hated having it done as the volume is reasonable-not something I would recommend anyone having a go with tbh.
How would it be to inject and tolerate (horse POV) compared to antibiotics?
At the above rate I’d not say volume wise it’s a lot?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
-nb. I wasn’t really thinking of just buying online to guess amounts. I assume I can buy it from my vet as I know they use it for feather mites

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I expect its probably as thick as gentamicin -my pony is pretty tolerant but really objected to his last jab-which did nothing for his mites fwiw. I'm not sure a vet would sell it to you to inject yourself especially it being off label. I can't remember the volume but it was a 10ml syringe.

The Trooper

Visit site
-nb. I wasn’t really thinking of just buying online to guess amounts. I assume I can buy it from my vet as I know they use it for feather mites

Some vets will use it, some won't. I find warming it up (place bottle in bowl of boiling water and using a larger gauge needle makes it less traumatic to inject. Belle really objected to it, but she doesn't like jabs, Bonnie and Trojan weren't fussed in the slightest.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's off label for mites too so I'd be surprised if the vets would sell it to you to inject yourself.

It is thick and mine objects too.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I did my mini for mange, that she arrived with, with it and she was fine, but the dose was 3 ml. I've done two big horses into the bum with it and it was sticky to get in but neither of them minded. I don't think I'd want to do a horse that wasn't rock steady about needles with it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I know some won't know why I object to (ditto to antibiotics) this but people obtaining and using drugs themselves, underdosing, overuse, using the wrong method of delivery or using a drug for the wrong sort of organism is what causes drug resistance across a whole raft of different species of parasites. So your injectable dectomax for mites will also affect worms in the gut at that time and so on.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine are all v easy to inject and my vets are pretty good and giving whatever I’ve asked for (due to my job)
Um, ok though maybe it’s not a go-er.
Can anyone advise anything else I can try?! It’s 5 horses with harvest mites not actually feather mites (although are they the same mite, different area?!!)
Had it last summer, drive us all absolutely insane and today they are all obviously effected again

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
harvest mites are not the same as feather mites. try frontline/fipronil spray-some of the online companies do their own brand (VetUK for example) which works out a bit cheaper.

eta fipronil is also off label but not used in food produce animals. test first and only use outside.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
I think you can use ivermectin both orally and rubbed into the hair? Oramec for sheep would probably be best, if you know a sheep farmer. I have a holding number, so I can get it from my local agricultural merchants by the litre.

ycbm

Visit site
Oramec is ivermectin in a feed safe carrier oil. You can use it for horses if they will eat food with it in, and I believe it can also be rubbed into feathers to treat harvest mite.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've never had any issues with dectomax, and one of mine was a bit handy with his feet and teeth if something hurt. I used to do 3 injections in total. But I never found it worked on its own. It was ok in combination with frontline and neem oil and keeping the legs clipped.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It’s not legs effected it’s heads and bodies. I do wonder though if my cobbier one has feather mites aswell maybe. I posted a short time ago about sudden deep scabs on his legs. He is clipped but needs re doing so it’s not short hair.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Do I take from these replies it’s not even worth asking my vet about and just to go get some form of ivermectin based wormer? I can do that over the weekend as opposed to waiting til Monday to speak to the vet?
I know there’s little point in asking at the shop where I buy feed/wormer for advice as I tried that last summer!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I would spray it onto a muslin cloth (about 50p for a roll in most supermarkets) -I have no idea about the Oramec as I've not used it but guess it would be the same-wear gloves for both.

harvest mites dont feed on blood but on skin cells-its only the larval stage that feeds on mammals so I dont think there's a need to treat twice for eggs like you do for some other types of mites.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would spray it onto a muslin cloth (about 50p for a roll in most supermarkets) -I have no idea about the Oramec as I've not used it but guess it would be the same-wear gloves for both.

harvest mites dont feed on blood but on skin cells-its only the larval stage that feeds on mammals so I dont think there's a need to treat twice for eggs like you do for some other types of mites.
Thank you! I will know soon enough if it’s worked or not I guess. I’ve found it something virtually impossible to get any horse related info about.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
its usually more of a problem for dogs and cats tbh.
Yes, I’ve found lots relating to pets. I don’t understand why I’ve had such problems the past two summers. In hindsight I think one horse suffered the previous summer also as he had horrible lesions from rubbing his face which he ended up on antibiotics for. It wasn’t suggested by the vet at the time and wasn’t a thing I’d ever heard of :(

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Maybe the hot weather has caused a population explosion-my friend had problems with her whippet up in Scotland last year and that was the first time I'd heard of them being an issue up here and it was during the heat wave we had.