Deep Litter Shavings...

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
How much do you take out ? I usually lift two barrows a day from Shy's stable, plenty of the deep litter compacted left. However, the stable beams are quite low, and I started to hit my head on them. Queue taking out 8 barrows today ? I usually put down fresh shavings every other day. The balance cant have been right ! My stables are 300 years old, with cobbled floors, hence the deep litter.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I deep litter one of mine on shavings. Take poo out daily, wet out on a Saturday and a good old dig out once a month when 2 new bales of shavings go in. The bed is at least a foot deep and on rubber matting.
I wish I could have the bed that thick ! The beams are just too low to do it. Shy seems very happy, lies down every night. I agree a thorough dig out once a month is required, thankyou.

Pedantic

Visit site
Never done deep litter bed, mucked out a friends a few times though, I ended up taking the lot out as I wasn't used to it, I use Comfybed plus, depth is about 6 to 7 inches, I take out poo and the wet patch every morning, it's handy that he usually poo's in the same place, and pee's in one spot the same place as well , it sinks to the bottom and it comes out pretty much in a nice clump with a shavings fork.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Never done deep litter bed, mucked out a friends a few times though, I ended up taking the lot out as I wasn't used to it, I use Comfybed plus, depth is about 6 to 7 inches, I take out poo and the wet patch every morning, it's handy that he usually poo's in the same place, and pee's in one spot the same place as well , it sinks to the bottom and it comes out pretty much in a nice clump with a shavings fork.
Thankyou, our muck heap is about to get bigger ! x

Pedantic

Visit site
You have steps in your stable?

Its a channel which runs to a drain on the right after the next stable, so any water or wee runs away :) the Hi Viz paint stripes I put on to stop me tripping on dark mornings, he has been in that stable for about 10 years now, he is used to them.

Chainsaw on the floor with no chain on, I had been doing some desensitizing work with him :)
po.jpg

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Its a channel which runs to a drain on the right after the next stable, so any water or wee runs away :) the Hi Viz paint stripes I put on to stop me tripping on dark mornings, he has been in that stable for about 10 years now, he is used to them.

Chainsaw on the floor with no chain on, I had been doing some desensitizing work with him :)
View attachment 67080

View attachment 67080
Beautiful! ?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I do similar Lindylouanne.

Poo out daily, dig out main wet area every Saturday. My boy is quite clean so there is only one wet patch in about a quarter of his bed, it drains to one corner. I put about half a bag of wood pellets in where I've dug out, then shavings on top.

I like a good dry layer on top each evening because he's struggled with dermatitis previously so I don't want him standing or laying on a wet surface.